6V6 Integrated amps

radarnyc

6V6 Integrated amps
« on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:18 pm »
What do people think of using inexpensive 6V6 amps to drive widebander/fullrange speakers? Does anyone have experience and impressions of the following?

Yaqin MS-6V6 - $493 shipped. Has remote and headphone output. 12.5Wx2

AUDIOROMY 6V6 - $289 shipped. No remote. Headphone output. 12Wx2

"Quest for Sound" SQ84-V2 - $888 (on sale). Has remote and headphone output. 15Wx2

Dared VP-16 - not sure if they are still making these

Common Sense Audio 6V6 'Ultralinear' - $995. No remote; no headphone output. 12Wx2

Other 6V6 integrated amps?

TheChairGuy

Re: 6V6 Integrated amps
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:27 pm »
6V6's sound so warm and inviting....if you haven't used one you're gonna' find something very pleasant about your upcoming pairing with your full range speakers.

If your speakers have 92db + or so efficiency, your listening room isn't gargantuan and your budget can stretch to $1700 (new)....the Decware Mini Torii will likely blow your mind.  6V6, tube voltage regulated, single ended purity - really, I'd own one if I didn't love my little 88db Lineaum Floorstanders so much.  It's only 4 watts  :(

http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

Cheers, John

JP78

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:00 pm »
It looks like you're on a budget that was similar to mine; I purchased secondhand a Raphaelite Sino 6V6, it's currently paired with Dynaudio TWYNN floorstanders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAPHAELITE-Sinovt-6J8P-6P6P-PP-Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-/360375661785

I gotta say, loving the combination. The 10W does fine for me, and the amplifier handles a somewhat difficult 89dB / 4ohm load without any grief. With the Dynaudio's, I don't think I have yet gone over 80% of full volume.

Like I said, I bought it used, and I think it was around $500 on eBay. The new MSRP is $699, and shipping from China is ~$200. I don't regret the purchase at all, and think that you're getting a bona fide quality amplifier for a reasonable price.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2012, 02:49 pm »
My $.02

6V6 is a wonderfully linear tube which is why it sounds so good.  Just because it puts out less watts doesn't mean you should cheap out.  Not all 6V6 amps are equal.  The iron (transformers) and the implementation are what make the amp.

If I were to buy one rather than build my own, I'd buy this one.  Heck, if I built one, I build this one. 
http://www.audiotropic.net/Projects/machine1.html

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2012, 04:24 pm »
+1 on the Decware mini Torii. 

radarnyc

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:05 pm »
Yeah...the Mini Torii is what first got me interested in 6V6 amps. However, it's above my budget. Any other recommendations out there?

doctorcilantro

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm »
I think I have to "come home" to the Mini-Torii as a previous owner who had to sell in a bind.

I have been eyeballing the Torii MKIII as I plan to rebuild my system with Tekton, Omega, or similar high sensitivity speakers.

Using E80CC in the MT made it even more glorious. I never found it lacking detail even on my Hoyt Bedfords, so damn lush.

tybee

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2012, 11:41 pm »
I have to jump on the Decware Mini Torii bandwagon, and I agree the addition of E80CCs on the front end made this amp a keeper for me paired with my Tonian speakers.  I auditioned both the MT and Torii MKIII at Decware and concluded I didn't need the extra headroom of the MKIII in my listening room with a 95db speaker.