Cima, Fondazione, Magnifico up and running

dcktr

Cima, Fondazione, Magnifico up and running
« on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:17 pm »
After 5 months, I finally have finished the kits for my new set up. They replace Zingali 2.8. Only started listening to the C/F this morning. I will try to post my musical perception after a little more listening. Descriptive adjectives are not my strong suit, keep that in mind when reading my future posts. As you can see from the "entire room" picture that my listening/TV area is quite large. The Zingali's were just lost in there. No problem with the C/F combo. Right away you could feel the music throughout the room.
My TV will be repaired next week. I will then watch my concert DVD's and check out the Magnifico.
The speaker cabinets were built by local custom wood craftsman (and me).  The Veneer is Olive Ash Burl, no stain, just 8 coats satin varnish. Still waiting on WAF grills. I am hoping with a gift of $$  jewelery that I can keep them off all the time.
The speakers are sitting on soundcare superspikes.

Thanks to Rick for holding my hand during my first kit build.

Thanks for looking

Ron

mca

Re: Cima, Fondazione, Magnifico up and running
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:54 pm »
The speakers look excellent  :thumb:

Looks like a big room, how far apart are the front speakers? What are you using to power them?

dcktr

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2012, 08:24 pm »
They are a little over 12 ft apart. Couch is the same 12 fet to each speaker. In the real world i would pull them out more, when listening solo I do. Front end:
Squeezebox 3, tube buffer, tube preamp, push pull amp. All the tube gear is made in Canada by Albert, space-tech-labs. All big bottle tubes.
After I recover from $$ I. Am going to redo my source. Will get dedicated mac mini, to dac. All my gear is in my clothes closet just behind the television wall. There are so many DAC choices in the ~$1000 range.

kip_

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2012, 08:34 pm »
Beautiful veneer. Did you use the PE cabinets and finish them yourself?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:30 pm »
That veneer is gorgeous!  :thumb:  Very nice job.  Something to be proud of.

Regards,

Randy

dcktr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:45 am »
The Cima cabinets are from PE, made our own baffles though. I do not have the skills it would take to make the curved cabinet. The others cabinets, we just built.

pslate

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2012, 04:26 pm »
Wow. Good work. I know you mentioned that descriptive writing is not your forte, but I would be interested in any impressions you may have of your speakers as you live with them for a bit.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2012, 07:27 am »
Nice real nice
 Love the Venier. Rick is always great to work with.having built two of his kits I know hes always there to answers questions. Would love to give them a listen

Cacophonix

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2012, 08:09 am »
Absolutely gorgeous cabinets in there. Great veneer work, and i'm sure they sound just as great!

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:30 pm »
Man, those speakers look great!  I wonder are you using the DEQX?  I was astounded when I heard that processor with Rick's speakers....

Allen Rumbaugh
www.srlacoustics.com

dcktr

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:51 am »
Thanks for your comments,
I am pleased with how they came out. I have not had an extended listening yet. My music server to squeezebox computer died. I have listened through my HT set-up, but not to the point where I really feel that I have evaluated them. Am not using a DEQX, honestly I do not know much about them. I will need to research. Perhaps a DEQX will be the best way to get my system closer to it's potential.
Started to get them set up, trying to use a spl and spectrum analyzer to help get the subs working together with the Cimas, but I stopped mid-stream. Decided they will be 2 position speakers. I will push them into the corner when not listening (WAF), but pulled out away from the wall when I am.
The subs are harder to tame when stuck in the corner.
Getting a new mac mini to calyx DAC set up, but need to get my music hard drive back from repair shop. If they "accidentally" format the drive I will fall into deep despair.
Thanks
Ron

dcktr

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2012, 05:47 am »
Hello again,
Finally have had my whole system up and running for awhile. I have had a chance to let them run at all sound levels.
A few comments. They fill my room better than any other pair I have had. I Can play them at high volume without them being loud.
Keeping them pulled out from the wall made integrating the Fondazione into my room a manageable task. I will still spend a little more time with this, but for now I think I am about 80% of the way there. I have always enjoyed being able to feel the bass in my chest during certain passages. I do not have the option of room treatments.
The Cima are a curious speaker. I am finally listening to a speaker that has allowed me to forget the midrange from my Zingali  speakers. The Cima are very "natural". They blend well with my all tube system. The crossover between the Fondazione and Cima is seamless. They have more range than the Zingali. The Reimer Wind Rivers I had were full range and easy to drive, but they had the personality of mayonnaise. I did not know that there was that much more music I was not hearing (does that make sense?)     
My taste in music is fairly simple. I like air around the instruments. Sound stage is as one would expect, floating somewhere in the center of the room, as the music would dictate.
Most of my friend's speaker systems were purchased at a year end close-out at best buy. Not much for me to compare to. One guy has an old pair of 801's, series 2 and krell gear, but they are painful to listen to in the tight space he has them in.
I have my system running the way I want it. Kind of sad really. I no longer find myself staying up late going through all the forums, trying to make choices  that to most seem silly. I may finally listen to music, read a book, or god forbid, go to bed at the same time my spouse does.
My system: Mac Mini - Calyx DAC - then all Space Tech Labs gear (big tubes) - tube buffer, pre-amp, and amplifier.
The Magnifico comes into play when I go to HT. I like dvd concerts. The Magnifico takes the center stage, with the Cimas complementing it nicely.
Thanks Rick

jonbee

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2012, 06:34 pm »
Still waiting on WAF grills. I am hoping with a gift of $$  jewelery that I can keep them off all the time.
I've found this strategy to be very useful over the years! :thumb:
Gorgeous speakers. I'm sure they sound as good as they look. Your comments about the Selahs taking you "off the market" so to speak resonate with me. I feel the same way about mine.
FWIW, I really like the Eastern Electric DAC Plus with my Tempestas. I use it with the 49990 opamp upgrade and no tube, and it is amazingly transparent and incredibly dynamic, which is a hallmark of several of the well implemented Sabre 32 bit DACs. The wyred4 sound DAC is another winner using that chip.

kip_

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2012, 12:57 am »
If I'm not mistaken this is the Tre Supremo CC not the Magnifico, right? The Magnifico has an Accuton Mid, these have an illuminator.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2012, 01:09 pm »
If I'm not mistaken this is the Tre Supremo CC not the Magnifico, right? The Magnifico has an Accuton Mid, these have an illuminator.

Yes, that's correct. Great match for timbre with the Cima.