Dedicated Power Line

Afterimage

Dedicated Power Line
« on: 14 Jan 2012, 12:44 am »
I have an electrician buddy of mine coming over to run a dedicated line to the wall outlet that I plug my Runny Springs Audio Jaco into.  My question is, since a dedicated line is going into a power conditioner, will I even notice a difference?  I'm sure I would if I just plugged my stuff into the wall, but I wasn't sure if there would be any difference going through the conditioner. 

Big Red Machine

Re: Dedicated Power Line
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2012, 02:12 am »
The advantage of the dedicated line is to keep noisy things like refrigerators off the circuit.  That does not mean you will not be subject to possible ground noise back from the panel so the Running Springs should work even better this way.

Read some reviews today about different combinations of AC conditioners and the one combo that struck me was daisy chaining devices worked well for one reviewer who could not make enough outlets open for all the gear w/o the daisy chain.  Anyways, the noisiest items he had were the computer items in the system and his logic was it was better to have them filtered and in the loop than unfiltered poisoning the whole chain before the loop.  Made sense to me and his results were better.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:21 am »
Read somewhere that microwave ovens are a bad thing.  Must remember to unplug my computer, too.  I don't have a dedicated line but do use a power conditioner.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:10 pm »
Microwave ovens can cause interference on digital signal lines (a good reason for getting well shielded digital interconnects, especially the longer one) and microwave's make lots of mechanical noise!  While no-one does serious listening with a nearby microwave operating, it's something to remember when doing data transfers.

Computers are a fact of life music wise. Most new music recording and listening involves a computer, why would you need to unplug one?

tvyankee

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2012, 02:26 pm »
Hey,

If you can and its not a big deal ask your friend to do a dedicated ground and if your running new wire go for something thicker like 10 gauge. Also don't cheap out on the outlet you put in if your going thru with the work, I think one thing that makes the biggest difference is the iso ground.

I had it done in my old place and it made a difference for sure.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2012, 02:38 pm »
Hey,

If you can and its not a big deal ask your friend to do a dedicated ground and if your running new wire go for something thicker like 10 gauge. Also don't cheap out on the outlet you put in if your going thru with the work, I think one thing that makes the biggest difference is the iso ground.

I had it done in my old place and it made a difference for sure.

Excellent advice . The dedicated ground helps big time. 10ga Romex will do just fine.

charles

tvyankee

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2012, 02:59 pm »
hey,

thanks,  i forgot to say if your are running a line why not do 2, one for the analog and one for digital and if you can use 20amp breakers. Or at least for the power hungry stuff like amps and stuff like that.

good luck.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2012, 03:05 pm »
What does a "dedicated ground" mean?