Anyone heard of Emotiva DAC XDA-1?

michaelv

Anyone heard of Emotiva DAC XDA-1?
« on: 13 Jan 2012, 09:49 pm »
I have squeezebox duet and starting to integrate into my hi-fi system (Plinius 9200, Ayre CX7e). I'm looking for a reasonable price DAC and look into Emotiva XDA-1.

So, i just wonder if anyone has heard of it. Any opinion or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

srb

Re: Anyone heard of Emotiva DAC XDA-1?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm »
I had one and thought it sounded decent and comparable to other ~ $300 DACs.  What I thought made it a bit better value than some of the other DACs in its price range was that it had remote controlled input switching, not because it sounded appreciably better.

I wasn't disappointed with the sound, but I returned it under the 30-day satisfaction period because (a) I was told it could do 24/192 through the USB input, but it could only do 16/48 and (b) the manual said the [many irritating] blue lights could be turned completely off, but they could not.  There were several dimming levels, but the dimmest was still too bright for a dimly lit or darkened room.

It is being offered on clearance for $249, perhaps because a replacement model is in the wings. 

Steve

jeffh

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:03 pm »
I've had one for the last year and I think it was good for my first DAC. Build quality is excellent. If you want to use the USB and your music collection is mostly 16/44.1 like mine, it's hard to beat for $249 with free shipping. As previously noted, it (USB) does not support anything higher that 16/48. I talked to them at Emofest about the next DAC and it was in the plans, but way out in the future so I would not expect an update anytime soon.

I am using the USB on mine to connect to a fanless v2.0 VortexBox I built.

Jeff

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:25 pm »
I use one in the secondary basement system.  I can't complain about a $300 DAC.  Sounds good for the money

CrazyBlue

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:30 pm »
I've been using one for a year, with Emotiva's USP-1 preamp and UPA-1 monoblocks.  Speakers are LSA-1 Signature monitors and a Salk Songsub.

I paid $299 on preorder from the first big shipment last year and have no regrets.  For $250, I doubt if you'll find comparable sound quality and input flexibility, let alone a remote you could club an assailant to death with, a 5 year transferable warranty and, in my experience with Emotiva, rock-solid customer service.

Definitely not the last word in DAC's, but bang-for-the-buck for sure.

michaelv

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:40 pm »
Thank you all for your valuable information. I myself has XPA-7 that i use Denon 3805 as a pre-amp in my hometheater system. It sounds better in movie and dynamic range is great for its price.

I look at XDA-1 right now is clearance and not returnable. Really tempting to test on my system. If they could give me option to have 30 days in-home trial, i'll try.

I'm not concerning much to USB since i run all my collection thru Squeezebox duet.

Thanks again.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:42 pm »
I had one for about a year. I really liked it, build quality was great, tons of inputs, the remote was great. It was marginally better sounding than the dac in the ERC-1 player, which was dissapointing considering it is a standalone unit, and my ERC-2 player matches it, I could not tell the two apart, so I sold it.

That said, it is a really great sounding unit, no complaints. For $250 I doubt it could be beat. at it's full price of $399 it's still a great value.

jakebake

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:17 am »
I've had one for the last year and I think it was good for my first DAC. Build quality is excellent. If you want to use the USB and your music collection is mostly 16/44.1 like mine, it's hard to beat for $249 with free shipping. As previously noted, it (USB) does not support anything higher that 16/48. I talked to them at Emofest about the next DAC and it was in the plans, but way out in the future so I would not expect an update anytime soon.

I am using the USB on mine to connect to a fanless v2.0 VortexBox I built.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I have had a vortexbox for awhile now that I built as well. I still haven't put it in a case though lol. How do you have a fanless version? What case are you using and do you have any pics of yours??

jeffh

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2012, 08:51 pm »
I'm using a case I got from <a href="http://www.logicsupply.com/products/gd_l01
/">Logic Supply[/url]
. It the Serener GD-L01 Fanless Mini-ITX Case.  I don't think they carry this case anymore.  It uses a heatpipe to dissipate the processor heat to a heat sink on the side of the case. Here is a picture of the case:

The motherboard is the Intel D945GSEJT Johnstown Mini-ITX Mainboard.  I had this up and working for about a year.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2012, 09:00 pm »
Very good for the $.

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:20 pm »
I use powered monitors.  Would the XDA-1 sound acceptable as a digital preamp/DAC,
running XLR out into my monitors?  I'd like to have a simple, easy to use set-up, and
this unit has all of the features that I'd need.  Just was curious to it's preamp capabilities,
and it's low-level volume tracking?  And does it have a good volume range, with out
getting too loud too quickly?

Thanks...

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:29 pm »
I use powered monitors.  Would the XDA-1 sound acceptable as a digital preamp/DAC,
running XLR out into my monitors?  I'd like to have a simple, easy to use set-up, and
this unit has all of the features that I'd need.  Just was curious to it's preamp capabilities,
and it's low-level volume tracking?  And does it have a good volume range, with out
getting too loud too quickly?

Thanks...

I've got one on the way and plan to try it as a digital preamp.  I'll let you know how the digital volume control works.  If it's a 32bit dsp volume control off the output of the DAC, it won't be dropping any significant bits and it may sound pretty good.  If it does, it would work great with powered monitors, especially with a balanced connection.

Russ

Stimpy

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:34 pm »
Thanks Russ,

I look forward to your opinion, once you receive your DAC.

While I definitely don't need more gear, or another set-up, I hate having
my Meyer Sound HD-1's going unused.  I should sell them, but I'd hate to
part with them!

Stimpy

srb

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm »
The volume control is an analog resistive ladder, an onboard feature of the AD1955 DAC chip, so there are no digital bits dropped.

I received one of the first ones, and the volume control was in .5 linear steps (not .5dB logarithmic steps), so the volume control was unusuable as there were only 5 possible volume settings between the lowest (1) which wasn't low enough and the highest (5) which was as high as I would turn it up in my particular system.  Therefore, I couldn't test how well the steps of a properly programmed volume control might have worked, but the sound was clean.

At the time, Emotiva offered to take the units back and reprogram the volume control, but my understanding is that the units now come with logarithmic volume control, so it would only be a concern if you were buying an early used one that had not yet been reprogrammed.

So it would likely work well with your balanced input powered monitors, if you can get past the blue light show.

Steve

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:52 pm »
Actually, I'd probably like the "blue light show".  Blue's my favorite color,
and since the LED's/Lamps can be at least be dimmed, I'd be happy...

Thanks

The volume control is an analog resistive ladder, an onboard feature of the AD1955 DAC chip, so there are no digital bits dropped.

I received one of the first ones, and the volume control was in .5 linear steps (not .5dB logarithmic steps), so the volume control was unusuable as there were only 5 possible volume settings between the lowest (1) which wasn't low enough and the highest (5) which was as high as I would turn it up in my particular system.  Therefore, I couldn't test how well the steps of a properly programmed volume control might have worked, but the sound was clean.

At the time, Emotiva offered to take the units back and reprogram the volume control, but my understanding is that the units now come with logarithmic volume control, so it would only be a concern if you were buying an early used one that had not yet been reprogrammed.

So it would likely work well with your balanced input powered monitors, if you can get past the blue light show.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2012, 08:13 pm »
I personally wouldn't do it. What is coming directly out of a DAC? What kind of oversampling distortion is coming out of it at 20K or much higher that you can't hear?

I've ruined an amp that way - though it took a while for it to happen.

Russtafarian

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:58 pm »
My XDA1 arrived and I spent a few hours listening last night.  I haven’t had a DAC in my rig for over 10 years (since I bought my first SACD player) so I have no point of reference with other current DACs.  I can say that the functionality of the unit operates as I had hoped.  The unit is heavy and the chassis is full width and quite deep, so this is no mini-box unit.

I’m running the DAC analog output directly to my power amp and with the remote I can switch inputs (six including USB) and control volume.  The DAC puts out enough voltage to drive my amps as loud as I ever play them.  Since this DAC does filter ultrasonic noise (unlike some 16 bit NOS DACs) I’m not concerned with the direct output driving my amps into oscillation.

16/44 and 24/96 FLAC files via squeezebox touch (coax connection) play just fine with 24/96 files sound significantly better through the DAC than through the SBT.  Even MOG music streaming via the SBT sounds smoother through the DAC.  I’m sure the DAC’s beefier analog output stage is a big reason for the sonic improvement over the SBT alone.

For discs I’m using a Oppo DV980 via HDMI to a Monoprice HDMI to SPDIF converter via coax to the DAC.  Through this setup I confirmed the DAC plays back CDs, DADs, DVD-As and SACDs (as 24/88 PCM). CD/DAD/DVD-A playback is a nice step up in delicacy and resolution from the Oppo.  SACDs do sound different through the DAC than the Oppo, but I haven’t decided which presentation I like better. 

Again, since I was listening to the DAC right out of the box, this is more a functionality review than a sound quality review.  But what I did hear, I liked and I expect it to get better as it settles in.  The blue lights on the front panel are a bit showy even when dimmed, and for some folks the 16/48 limit on the USB is a show-stopper.  But outside of that, this is a great piece of gear for $249.

Russ

matt_garman

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:44 pm »
Is there anything that even compares at this price level?  Or, even at 2x the price, what compares?  And to clarify, I'm looking at it as a combined DAC + preamp (not just DAC).

I have one, and I love it.  My setup is this: I have two optical SPDIF inputs, one from the TV and one from my media PC.  Those go to the XDA-1, which in turn goes to the power amp.  Volume control is strictly via the XDA-1 (i.e., preamp).  Before I bought this, I was unable to find any single device that did both DAC and preamp duties (at least not in the sub-$1k price range).  The only other option would be going with separates, but that's also hard to do for less than $1k, particularly if you have multiple digital inputs as I do.

To me it sounds fantastic, although I've never heard a "higher end" DAC.  (Unless you count the Cambridge Audio DACMagic, which I also have, but can't do a fair A/B comparison since I don't have a preamp.)

pslate

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2012, 10:17 pm »
I personally prefer the V-Dac, but is a cool $100 more new. A used first generation (which I have) could be a great deal.

This one is listed at $225 http://app.audiogon.com/listings/459754

Russtafarian

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2012, 11:38 pm »
I've had my XDA-1 for a week and I'm pretty happy with it.  It's a definite sound quality upgrade over the analog outputs of my SB Touch and Oppo DVD player.  The remote switching and volume control really set this DAC apart from its competitors at this price point.

I've had two friend come over this week to listen to tunes.  After hearing the XDA-1, seeing how it works and how well it's built, they both bought one.