THE Show Report 2012

John Casler

THE Show Report 2012
« on: 13 Jan 2012, 09:40 pm »
Whew, what a whirlwind (I can only spend 3 days max at this event each year :evil:) trip.  Just got back last night and am lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket :lol:

Well anyhow; WHAT A SHOW!!!     :o :o :o

The room and Room Partners made for some great times and sounds.  For thos who are not aware it was like this:

VMPS; Brian, Shirley, George (B's Behind the scenes muscle) and Me

AMPZILLA; James Bongo Bongiorno

Wyred4Sound; EJ, and Clint

WyWires; Alex and Nina

Recording Engineers; Dave Housteau and James Harger (each with their own systems)

What a great group.  Learned alot, talked a lot, and enjoyed most every minute of it. 

As well, it is ALWAYS great to see so many customers and AudioCircle friends stop in and talk about the VMPS Speakers they have, or have had as well as EVERYTHING under the Sun.  Russtafarian (RM30s), mjoseph (RM1), John Zirkel(RM30), TedB (RMx), Shaukat(BCSE RM40), Roy Insco (RMx), Dave Housteau (RM v60/Stereo VLA) and many more, I am forgetting.

It was also great to see the many REVIEWERS who have owned, loved, or written about VMPSRoger Gordon from PFO with RM30s and Larger sub, Dick Olsher from "many" audio mags, Peter Moncrief of International Audio Review, Clement Perry and others who I didn't see, or who came in before or after I was there.

Had lunch with our old friend Clement Perry of Stereo Times, who wrote last year that the RM 50 was the best $60,000 speaker money can buy, for $14,900 (price for the earlier model)

Now, since I am not there from day one or for the final days, I hope some others will fill in additional information when possible.

So a couple quick HIGHLIGHTS;

The new Series II RM50 Dual Line Array Bipole ($16,900 introductory price) is a sight to behold and be heard.  The cabinetry is excellent and the shear size and monolith like appearance is very striking.

THE RM50 Naked

THE RM50 w/grills on

This (and last year) we were fairly lucky and the RM50s sounded great early on.  And when I say great, I mean they were incredibly sonically balanced throughout the room.  No BASS pockets or uncovered areas. 

Please note that contrary to what I posted prior, Brian has added the CDWGs to the Neopanels.  That, the new SUPER DUTY incredibly braced cabinet, the Side Firing 15" Passive Radiator, and the Built to Spec 12" Woofers with 150 oz magenets from Eminence are part of the improvements that make this the "SERIES II".

Teaser: COMING SOON the Series II RM40!!!

As I was talking to all of the guests who visited, I asked each one of them "how much do you think we are asking for this speaker".  Most suggested it should be priced in the $40-$50k range, with only one fellow thinking it was around $25k because he said he knew I was going to give him an unbeleivable low price.  But even he was suprised at the $16,900 with a choice of D-OXO (digital XO) or the OXO (analog XO)

John Casler

Re: THE Show Report 2012
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm »
THE ACTUAL SYSTEM USED:

Source: Wyred4Sound Media Server
Source: Modwright modded SONY 5400 SACD player
Source: James Harger's Recording Rig
Source: Dave Housteau's Recording Rig

DAC: Wyred4Sound DAC-2

PreAMP: Wyred4Sound STP-SE

AMPS: (4) AMPZILLA 2000 Second Edition Monoblocs
with a Wyred4Sound Modded D-OXO controller

Speakers: VMPS VMPS Series II RM50 Dual Line Array Bipole

The complete system was cabled and wired with WyWires; Digital, Analog Interconnect, Power Cords, and Speaker Cables

Backview of the system; 

Right Equipment Bank (viewer's right) starting at the bottom: Modwright tube modded Sony 5400 SACD Player, on top of that: Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DAC: on top: The NEW
Wyred4Sound Media Player.

Left Equipment Bank  Starting at the bottom: AMBROSIA Preamp (on display, not in use) then on top of that the Wyred4Sound STP-SE Preamp, then at the top; the Wyred4Sound modded D-OXO then running to the bank of 4 AMPZILLA 2000 monoblocs. (SEEN BELOW)

Above is the "bank of four" AMPZILLA Monoblocs with Dave and EJ looking on.

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:54 am »
Thanks for the update John. It sounds as though everything has gone smoothly. I'm sure the VMPS room is the best room there. :D

John Casler

WORLD PREMIER - Son Of AMPZILLA II
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm »
HOT OFF THE PRESSES;

EJ had just received the first Son Of AMPZILLA II a few days ago, so these are the first pictures of it.

All I know presently is the following:

100wpc x 2 @ 8 ohms
200wpc x 2 @ 4 ohms

Price $2495

It should be in production and available in 60 days.

It will also have a "companion" Preamp; the PHOEBE also for $2495.  I think the PHOEBE will have an on-board DAC, but I am not certain of that.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:10 pm »
Thanks for the update John. It sounds as though everything has gone smoothly. I'm sure the VMPS room is the best room there. :D

Hi Warner,

While of course I am biased, I didn't hear anything at the show to compare.

Fritz's small stand mount speakers sounded wonderful, and Hugh's (Angel City Audio's) Stand mounts also sounded quite good, but the handfull of FloorStander and large systems were just boomy and bloated overall. (I won't mention names  :nono:)

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:43 pm »
MORE PICS:

Here is the frontal "DUAL LINE ARRAY"

Here is the Rear Pole of the Bipole

Notice both now have the CDWG's

rbbert

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:08 am »
Not VMPS, but I have heard raves about the sound of the >$100k Sonus Faber Aidas

:thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:27 am »
MORE PICS:

Here is the frontal "DUAL LINE ARRAY"

Here is the Rear Pole of the Bipole

Notice both now have the CDWG's

That is a very interesting design.  How big are the woofers/mids? 

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2012, 03:30 am »
That is a very interesting design.  How big are the woofers/mids?

Yes, I am not aware of any other design like this with so much flexibility.

Dual Line Array Dipoles are common, but don't know if I have seen a DLA Bipole.

The woofers are built domestically by Eminence as per B's specs.  Each has a 150oz magnet and composite compound cone material.

Then there is a side firing 15" mass loaded and adjustable, VITRIFIED, Passive Radiator

For those who are concerned about supporting AMERICAN built gear, beside the tweeters most of this speaker was made in AMERICA.

John Casler

Our Recording Engineers
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2012, 07:57 pm »
Here are a few photos of James Harger and Dave Housteau performing their recording duties:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2012, 09:43 pm »
There are many pix and reports to come.  Jim Romeyn just emailed me some which we will post.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm »
Here are some of the Live versus Recorded photos;

Our first Pianist Vocalist

As she listens to herself being played back

Brian Cheney

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm »
This is the renowned Canadian jazz vocalist/songwriter Anne Bisson, who also performed at the reception.  In our booth she did three numbers of original material from her latest album.  This lady is a major artist and thrilled us all with her talent.

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm »
Our Second Vocalist with her Pianist

Brian Cheney

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm »
This is the duo of Christine Granatelli and Noah Harmon, who performed standards and original material for our live vs recorded demo.  They were fabulous.

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2012, 11:09 pm »
And another remarkable Pianist;

Brian Cheney

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2012, 11:14 pm »
This is Russian classical pianist Dr Hagia Paster, who played two Chopin selections (a mazurka and nocturne) and then tore the roof off our ballroom with a virtuoso performance of the complete Prokofiev piano sonata #3.  Her playing was poetic in the Chopin and ferocious in the sonata.  We captured her with perfect fidelity, as she herself told me.

Housteau

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:54 am »

Here are a few more photos: