What the heck kind of screwdriver do I need?

sdk

What the heck kind of screwdriver do I need?
« on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:38 am »
I bought an old RM10 mk1 this week and it came with a cage on it.  There are two little holes (and I mean little) on top of the cage to stick a screwdriver into and unscrew the phillips heads screws on the top-plate of the amp.  I have dozens of phillips screwdrivers but not one could fit through the little holes in the cage.  Does anybody know of a super skinny phillips screwdriver that would fit through these holes?  I'm guessing the holes have about a 3/16" diameter.

Pez

Re: What the heck kind of screwdriver do I need?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:48 am »
Do you have any small electronics screwdrivers? Those are what I use in tight spots you can get them pretty much everywhere that sells tools.

sdk

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2012, 04:23 am »
Wish I did.  I'm trying to figure out the size of the screws that are used to hold down the top.  Are they #8s?

Æ

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2012, 04:24 am »
 A Vodka Screwdriver.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:06 am »
I have a set of very small but long screwdrivers. Sears, They have grey handles and thin shanks, under 1/8" diameter.
The set has a phillips.
Also plenty of cheap small tiny screwdriver sets, $5.
Have you been able to verify they are philips head, and not Torx or hex?

sdk

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:55 am »
Cool, I'll check out some sets at my local Sears.  Yea, the cage is held down by two phillips screws - the same screws that also help hold down the top plate.

And that yellow screwdriver of yours is da bomb. I think I'll have one right now, thank you very much.

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:55 am »
Cool, I'll check out some sets at my local Sears.  Yea, the cage is held down by two phillips screws - the same screws that also help hold down the top plate.

And that yellow screwdriver of yours is da bomb. I think I'll have one right now, thank you very much.

If there is a Harbor Freight Tools near you, they have tons and tons of very affordable hand tools, plenty of smaller screwdrivers and such.
Albeit most of it made in China.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

EC Bailey

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:12 pm »
I've not heard of any RM-10 that came off the factory floor with a tube cage. The transformer cage is mounted from underneath. If you've got caged tubes, perhaps it's an aftermarket bodge.

sdk

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:00 pm »
No, this is definately a Music Reference cage - it's obvious by the workmanship.  That said, this is the first RM10 (this is the 2nd one that I have owned) I have seen that has a cage.  I was actually a bit disappointed when I pulled it out of the box and saw it as I like the way the amp looks au naturel with tubes standing proud. 

BTW, I think I need to get a screwdriver with a 3/16" diameter shank.  Pretty hard to find in a Phillips screwdriver and this is compounded by the fact that very few manufacturers specify shank diameter; lengths yes, diameters no. 

This is frustrating as I just want to install some new tubes in the amp and I can't get the cage off!

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:05 pm »
I wouldn't be without my Stanley mini-screwdriver set.  :D

sdk

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:25 pm »
Those look great but they are too short to traverse the depth of the cage.  I tried inserting one of my very narrow diameter slotted screwdrivers into the cage.  While it was skinny enough to fit through the hole it wasn't deep enough to reach the screw.  This screwdriver was 3 1/2" inches long but the cage is 4" deep.  Frustrating.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:31 pm »
Everyone should be aware that although they look superficially the same, not all cross-shaped screws (and screwdrivers) are "Phillips" head.
There is a JIS (Japanese) standard and a Phillips standard. They are not identical.
The Phillips system was designed to be deliberately torque-limited ... the screw and driver are designed to "cam out" when the torque limit is exceeded. When used with a Phillips head screw, this causes no damage to the screw normally under hand power ... with a power driver it's of course possible.
The profile of the two screws and drivers are different, with the Phillips having the deeper centre (or, a "pointy-er" tip on the screwdriver). The JIS driver will be flat on the tip, 57 degree taper to the wings.
The JIS screw is not designed to cam out when over-torqued. What happens, then, is the Phillips driver does not seat deep enough in the screw to fully engage the cross, and when it inevitably cams out under torque as it's supposed to do (loosening or tightening the screw) it damages the JIS screw.
JIS drivers work fine in Phillips screws but not vice-versa.You can usually identify a JIS screw by either a dot or a X marked on the screw head. Cheap Chinese screws may not be so marked, however.

For anyone working on electronics, the correct JIS drivers are a must, otherwise you will find yourself committing to a lifetime of damaged or difficult to remove/reinsert screws. Proper JIS mini-driver sets are available from electronics resellers; they will be long enough usually to deal with recessed screws found in electronics sourced from Asia.
Hardware store sets are suspect (and computer stores might run the gamut); they are often short shank and often do not have decent hardened tips. Proper JIS drivers come in 100mm and 150mm shank lengths (about 4 and 6 inches). There are 4 bit sizes numbered 1~4.
There is an "S" type driver, which is short like the set in the photo above, but since a proper JIS set isn't cheap ($20~50), I'd go for the longer ones instead, to save frustration.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2012, 07:06 pm »
Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for the potential negative effect the following may have on your wallet. Not that the products are particularly expensive, just that you may want a lot of them (after all, they are tools).

Wiha and Xcelite (Xcelite is part of the ginormous Apex Tools Group) both make plenty of long shank, small bit screwdrivers:

http://www.wihatools.com/

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/xcelite/

sdk

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2012, 04:31 pm »
Thanks everybody for the great input.  Finally got my butt over to an Ace Hardware and found something that worked.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2012, 04:32 am »
Since the screws come out easily one can use a 1/8 diameter slot (not philips) driver, that's what I use. Sorry the hole is so small. We have cages for anyone who needs one.