I Robot looks kinda cool

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I Robot looks kinda cool
« on: 6 May 2004, 01:09 am »
Looks like an interesting flick.  If you haven't seen the trailers, it's a Will Smith action movie with some pretty slick looking effects.  I couldn't glean enough from the promo to tell if it's based on the Asimov story.

TheChairGuy

I Robot looks kinda cool
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2004, 01:23 am »
Awesome book.....so was The Foundation Series from Asimov.

:thumb:

Woodsea

I Robot looks kinda cool
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2004, 01:41 am »
I was stoked when I read that "the Fresh Prince" was going to be in it.  He always does a class acting job.
I have been an Asimov fan for a couple of decades now.  I Robot is a classic.  I am sure they will do Isaac justice.

dado5

I Robot looks kinda cool
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2004, 01:49 am »
It looks to be very loosely derived from Asimov's Robot stories at best.  It certainly bears little direct resemblance in plot outline to any of the stories in the I, Robot collection.  The  idea of Robots turning wholesale against humans is contrary to Asimov's  viewpoint in the these stories.  There is a hint of the Three Laws in the  trailer but that is about as much Asimov homage as I could see.

Asimov's early robot stories are rather cerebral and not so action oriented.  They are basically morality plays with the the robots being the  actors in different "what-if" moral dilemmas (I especially like "Liar!' about a robot who can read human minds and must deal with necessity of lying to his human masters to avoid hurting their feelings.)  I don't think any of them would make a good action movie.

Full disclosure...I did not like Bicentennial Man so I may be a little biased here as well. However I like Will Smith and the movie does look intriguing, faithful to Isaac or not.

Thanks,
Rob