Parts of new system good, others not yet

mcgsxr

Parts of new system good, others not yet
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:45 pm »
I recently sold off 90% of my main system, to help generate funds for some audio in my old car.

That said, I could not allow NO music down in the room the system has always been in, so I went about scrounging around for low cost options.

The good - Yamaha A500 integrated.  85wpc of old school early 80's transister amp.  I owned an AX-500U in university, the unit that came after this one.  Perfect amp for a cheap and cheerful install.

The bad - Paradigm 9s.  Brought them home last night, not sure I can live with them.  After OB speakers for 6 years, these just don't sound that good to me.  I will try playing around with them.  My best friend has offered up free Mirage Omni 50's. 

The ugly - Audioengine W2.  http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W2  OK, I am just saying ugly as that keeps with the theme.  This piece is a nice little wireless add on to an iPod that uses 2.4Ghz tech to stream music.  Plug the adapter into the iPod, the other adapter into the amp, and presto - all the music on your iPod is now playing on your system.  Works a treat.  I will use it in my car too!

charmerci

Re: Parts of new system good, others not yet
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:13 pm »
There's a pair of B&W 302's on sale on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-speakers-model-DM302-Made-England-/160713099352?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item256b3f4858

I guarantee that whatever shortcomings you hear coming out of these speakers come from downstream, not the speakers.

mcgsxr

Re: Parts of new system good, others not yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:07 pm »
Appreciate the heads up.

I have the Mirage's running now.

Fun mids and top end.  Sub required.  Looking forward to solving that problem, as I still have the 2x12 cast basket woofers and the 500rms amp from the OB setup.

Will likely build up some stands with built in subs, or will build an opposed sub.

The Yamaha is a keeper, and the Audioengine toy is a great cheap way to stream.

Will I attain the sound of the previous system?  No way.  Will it be cheaper, and fine for 80% of the listening I want to do?  Likely for now.