Tempesta Amp/Preamp

ral950

Tempesta Amp/Preamp
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 08:04 am »
I'm new to Selah....placed order recently based on many of your comments. TY. 

I have not found many posts on amps / preamp experiences.  There was one post about 9 months ago on W4S "should" be good. Has anyone had experience with W4S (or any other mfg) with Tempestas?

I'm thinking SS 125wpc. Room size is 22x15 with 10 ft ceilings.  Mostly listen to vocals, jazz, piano, some light rock.  I do like my music accurate, revealing, but not harsh (non-fatigue). Maybe that's asking too much. 

kip_

Re: Tempesta Amp/Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:56 pm »
What's your budget? I'd consider amps from AVA if you value musicality.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:30 pm »
Congrats on the Tempestas. After 43 years in the hobby and ~250 pairs of speakers, the Ts have probably taken me off the market for good in my main rig. They are just plain beautiful to listen to, in a real way, not euphonically. After 9 months my wife and I still find them a delight every time we hear them, which is a lot. I still find it difficult some nights to shut them off and go to bed. And they sound great on lesser sources as well, like cable tv sound, etc. BTW, I found they need at least 100 hours to open up, and they seem to improve over 200 plus hours. I know Rick doesn't agree,but that's the way I've heard it. Accuton says 300 hours for breakin on their drivers.
I use a modded PS Audio GCC-500 with my Tempestas, which uses the ICEpower amps, which the W4S amps also use.
I find the combination to be just what you describe- accurate and powerful, yet very easy on the ears. It's impossible to say whether there is a better matchup (I'm sure there is), but I have zero interest in trying something else. The price is right on the W4S amps. Make sure your front end and cabling has the qualities you're looking for- the Ts show eveything. I use all Zu cabling, and an Eastern electric minidac plus ( with upgraded opamps and the tube pulled out).
AVAs are probably a good choice as well- very fine amps.

ral950

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:28 pm »
hey kip and jonbee, thanks for your comments. AVA is just perfect at $1000-2000 (as are W4S). One thing good about AVA is they offer several preamp options which, I am assuming, pair well with their amps. W4S has one preamp, and on the pricier side.  Of course, I can mix and match which opens up another dimension that is way beyond my comprehension level. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:49 pm »

I have not found many posts on amps / preamp experiences.  There was one post about 9 months ago on W4S "should" be good. Has anyone had experience with W4S (or any other mfg) with Tempestas?

I'm thinking SS 125wpc. Room size is 22x15 with 10 ft ceilings.  Mostly listen to vocals, jazz, piano, some light rock.  I do like my music accurate, revealing, but not harsh (non-fatigue). Maybe that's asking too much.

The latest solid state amps from Cary Audio I really like. The designer I worked with several years ago and he knows how to get it right.

pawsman

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm »
I'd take a look at Emotiva - I've had very good success with the UPA-1 Monoblocs
driving my Ported Veritas. They are powerful, detailed, yet warm and musical.
The performance/price ratio is off the charts for Emotiva electronics.
They sell direct with a 30 day trial and are very user friendly-

pawsman

music lover

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:38 am »
I have had the Tempestas since Aug 2010 and use a Cary Sa-200.2 200 watt solid state amp with a CJ tube preamp.

It sounds great with deep bass, great midrange and highs. The sound overall is very balanced slightly on the warmer

side of neutral. I just love those speakers!

ral950

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2012, 06:15 am »
Thanks guys for the Cary recommendation.  I looked on agon for the sa-200.2 which is the latest SS version. Nothing listed yet.  New price is $4000....ouch. Will keep looking.

Emotiva....pawsman, do you use the USP-1 preamp with your UPA-1 monos? Thoughts? My brother has Emos for HT setup and says "good value and solid performance".  Seems to be the common theme. Since I'm using as 100% audio I did not think much of what he said but I'll take another look now.

NORGATEoiler

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2012, 04:44 pm »
I too have some Emotiva amps. I have the UPA-1's for my towers and a UPA-2 as well.  Really like both of these amps. I don't think you can get a better value for the price.  With the 30 day return policy I'd give it a shot and see what you think yourself or just borrow your brothers.

I run my UPA-2 with the USP-1 the Emo DAC (XDA-1).  This powers my bookshelves which I have upstairs for music. 

My UPA-1's currently run my 604 series B&W towers for my home theater but I'm in the process of building a set of towers designed by Rick which will replace them.

pawsman

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2012, 10:51 am »
ral950, I don't have the USP-1 preamp; I use an NAD, which works great. The UPA-1/USP-1
would be a great combination, IMO. What do have to lose, with a 30 day trail (except return freight)?
And I doubt that you'd return them-

pawsman

ral950

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2012, 12:40 am »
so far....AVA, Emotiva x2, Cary x2. I was hoping the Selah following was a bit larger.  I guess everyone is at CES?

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2012, 01:50 am »
All the choices mentioned so far are good ones. I think maybe the problem is that one's choice of amplifier often times comes down to listening habits. Based on your habits and room, there are probably a lot of combo's that would fit.  In the end it needs to be your choice.

I've used my Granduer's with Rotel 100watt monobocks, and with a Marantz SR5004 AV receiver. The Rotel sounds a little better, but the Marantz works well in the living room for the kinds of volumes we use in that location.

If I was buying now, I would go for the highest quality I could afford. I'd actually look at the Marantz KI Pearl Integrated if I could find one. Of companies here at AC, Odessey would be another one besides AVA.

Another possibility would be integrated Amps. Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Music Hall, Rega...might be work looking into as well.

Regards,

Chuck

Rob S.

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2012, 03:00 am »
I've got a pair of Ricks Riferimento's floorstanders, not an exact match to your Tempesta, but mine do share the same Raal tweeter and very similar accuton midrange ( although mine is a 5").  Mine has slightly higher sensitivity, so I can get by with slightly less power.

I've tried the Odyssey extreme monos, plus a mapletree 2a SE preamp, and then later substituted a Music Reference RM200 mk2 amp, which I found more musical and less fatiguing.  Later on, I went 3 way active w/ DEQX as the preamp-crossover-DAC and added Atma sphere amps and this is the best setup yet.  most musical by far.  I loved throwing in  my HT amp, Butler 5150 or a 2250.  Hybrid amp with plenty of muscle and very musical.  Can be had for 1500-1700 used.  Use a mapletree tube preamp or other bargain under 1K preamp and I think you'd be real happy.  Audition or borrow some amps to try.

To my ears, tube amps and hybrid tube amps really add the magic to my Selah speakers.   Only downside is to get the higher power for your 84.5db Tempestas you'll need ( 75 w minimum ) and that usually doesn't come in cheap.   Buy as much as you can afford initially.

Enjoy your search and your musical journey.

Rob S.

pslate

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2012, 05:10 pm »
I've found the Class D Audio SDS-254 to be very, very nice. It replaced an Emotiva UPA-2, which now  runs the rear channels (Selah Aura Jr.'s). If I had the money I would  consider the Dodd tube preamp with it. Oh yeah, my mains are Verita Ported.

ral950

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2012, 08:11 am »
Thanks everyone for sharing your amp/preamp experience with Selah speakers.  It looks like a wide range of amps and preamps are being used.  I guess the good news is I should be able to use just about anything at the Tempesta and it will rock!!

I sold my Levinsons and B&W802 a few months back.  Never really fell in love with it.  I'm hoping things are taking a turn in next few months as I change everything out.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2012, 05:17 pm »

Shipping your pair today to California. Enjoy!

music lover

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm »
I have a pair of Tempestas and use a Cary SA-200.2

200 watt amp. It sounds really good and the amp is very

musical. You can listen for hours and not get fatigued like

with other amps. Hope this helps.

jonbee

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:04 am »
Tempestas are very neutral, but also very revealing. I think they will sound good with many quality amps that are clean and that have good drive and control, but which sounds best in your environment and your tastes will take some time to work out.
Since I got mine last April I've replaced every component and cable in the system, save for my integrated amp, and I could easily hear the effect of every change. It makes it easy to decide whether a particular change is for the better or not.
I'm still pondering the amp question for my system. I like my Cullen modded PS Audio GCC500 very well- it has no overt flaws and is a very practical and powerful amp, but after listening to a friend's $25K Shindos in his system I'm pondering whether a new direction for my amp would bring out an even more spacious presentation. I've no doubt the Ts will display it if present.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2012, 03:52 am by jonbee »