Anyone tried to go completely paperless (at home)?

ctviggen

My wife got me an unexpected Doxie go.  It's a small scanner that allows you to create PDFs and to "staple" multiple-page PDFs into one PDF document.  I've been using this to scan in receipts, bills, etc. 

Previous to this, I had started downloading PDFs of manuals, etc., which was helpful, but I'm now taking to this to the next level. 

If you've tried to go paperless, do you have any recommendations?  For instance, Doxie has the option to make a PDF that's OCR-ed and searchable.  This way, you could search folders using a search tool and possibly find something you couldn't find without the PDF being searchable.  However, I haven't done this yet.  I'm wondering if it's worthwhile.

Any tips would be appreciated.

WGH

Re: Anyone tried to go completely paperless (at home)?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm »
I haven't tried an OCR program in years but I do make a lot of PDF files and being able to search documents and emails is an absolute necessity. I use X1 Desktop Search, is is super fast (like instant), never misses anything, has filters and an excellent preview pane.

If you go this route have a bullet proof fail safe backup system using a belt and suspenders, i.e. dual backups. I use BootIt NG to make a full system backup on a second 500 GB hard drive AND use the CenturyLink Personal Digital Vault for automatic data backup to the cloud.

Wayne