BDP-1 Takes Forever to Update

NMG

BDP-1 Takes Forever to Update
« on: 8 Jan 2012, 05:04 pm »
Why is it that when I add a few albums to my external HDD from computer and than reattach HDD to BDP-1, it takes more than an hour to update again, before I can use unit? Can this possibly be normal. If so, it is absurd to have to go through this each time I add music. I must be doing something wrong. Please advise.

Neal : :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: BDP-1 Takes Forever to Update
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2012, 05:19 pm »
Why is it that when I add a few albums to my external HDD from computer and than reattach HDD to BDP-1, it takes more than an hour to update again, before I can use unit? Can this possibly be normal. If so, it is absurd to have to go through this each time I add music. I must be doing something wrong. Please advise.

Something is definitely wrong. 

This doesn't happen to me and I have one of the larger collections connected to the the BDP-1 (two almost full 2TB drives).

When you say update, do you mean to show up in the BDP-1's database or in one of the many interfaces?

If you can spell out the exact process it will help in troubleshooting things.

George

NMG

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm »
Thanks, George. Every time I think I have this unit up and running there is another problem. It sounds great when it works, but it is proving to be more trouble than its worth.

I use a Seagate GoFlex portable 500G external HD. I remove it from BDP-1, plug it into my USB input on my computer and load some new albums from iTunes, where I keep all my music. I then reconnect the HDD to the BDP-1.  The front of the BDP-1 reads "Updating" on the second line, and takes 4EVER! until it finishes, usually around an hour. I cannot use Max or Gnome while it is updating. This is what happens.

Appreciate the help.

Neal

BrysTony

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm »
Just wondering -- Are you using a directory structure on your HD for your files such as: Genre/Artist/Album/Song?  If you are not that will cause the extended update.

Tony

NMG

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:36 am »
Tony,

Not sure how to answer your question. I just copy from my iTunes library whichever albums I want. I do not store by genre; it is stored by artist, album, song.

Would ask that James Tanner also weigh on on this when he can.

Perhaps you (and anyone else) can answer another question while I have your kind attention. I have been trying to use Gnome music player. Much better interface than Max. If I go to Database and select an album, the songs are then  listed on the right under Title-Album-Artist. I cannot figure out how to get all the songs on an album to play through, without selecting each song and hitting Play for each one after the other. In other words, the player does not on its own move from one song just played, to play the next. I feel like I am missing something very obvious.

Thank you for your help. This machine does sound exceptional, once the kinks are ironed out.

Neal :?

BrysTony

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:52 am »
Tony,

Not sure how to answer your question. I just copy from my iTunes library whichever albums I want. I do not store by genre; it is stored by artist, album, song.

Perhaps you (and anyone else) can answer another question while I have your kind attention. I have been trying to use Gnome music player. Much better interface than Max. If I go to Database and select an album, the songs are then  listed on the right under Title-Album-Artist. I cannot figure out how to get all the songs on an album to play through, without selecting each song and hitting Play for each one after the other. In other words, the player does not on its own move from one song just played, to play the next. I feel like I am missing something very obvious.

Thank you for your help. This machine does sound exceptional, once the kinks are ironed out.

Neal,

Sounds like what you are doing with the copy is OK. I can not help with gnome - I have not used it. I use mPad on an iPad and it works beautifully. Hang in there -- someone will help.

Tony

RLL1

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2012, 02:26 am »
Tony,

Neal,

"Right" click on the album you have chosen, and select "Add". This will add the album to the "Play Queue"

Rick

NMG

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2012, 02:37 pm »
Thanks, Rick. Would help if there were some form of instructions under help Menu.

Neal

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2012, 03:31 am »
Hi Neal,

Sorry to hear about your BDP-1 problems.  The BDP-1 has a tough time with AIFF and M4A files, so they generally take 3 to 4 times longer then flac files to load into the database.  However there are two things you may try to decrease the time it takes for your BDP-1 to load your drive.

The first is to turn off the BDP-1 before unplugging the drive.  When this occurs the BDP-1 should preserve the existing library.  Then disconnect the drive from the BDP-1, update the drive with your new music.  Plug the drive back into the BDP-1.  Finally turn the BDP-1 back on, once the BDP-1 boots back up, it will still say updating, but the old library will be made available and any new additions should show up within 10 minutes (if not much less).

The second way you could go about this is to connect to the BDP-1 over your home network.  The BDP-1's firmware is designed to share any USB drive that is connected to it during startup, over the network.  BY doing this you can add files to the BDP-1 without the need of ever disconnecting the drive from the BDP-1.  Once you have copied the files over.  Open a web browser, go to the bdp-1's home page, click settings, (default user name and password are both "bryston" without quotes), click Drive Information and finally update database.  Within a few minutes your new audio files should show up.

I'll try to find some time to upload a video of how to perform the second method tomorrow.

Cheers,
Chris

NMG

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm »
Thanks, Chris. I will try the first solution.

I am hooked up to a home network and so would try the second solution but am not clear on what you say.

"Once you have copied the files over . . ."  Copied from where to where?

"BDP's Home Page"  What is the address?

". . . audio files show up."  Presumably you mean on the external HDD attached to the BDP.

Thanks again.

Neal

SHV

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2012, 03:44 pm »
""BDP's Home Page"  What is the address?"
The BDP drives show up on the network.  With Mac, open finder and drag and drop files.  If you are ripping your CD collection and have dozens of albums to transfer, the direct transfer using turn off, unplug is faster.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:30 am »
Hi Chris,

Any update on the 'update' button on the Homepage we discussed earlier? The method you describe here is the exact reason I asked for that button to be available on the homepage, and not deep down inside the settings-page where it is now...
Thanks,

Marius

Hi Neal,

Sorry to hear about your BDP-1 problems.  The BDP-1 has a tough time with AIFF and M4A files, so they generally take 3 to 4 times longer then flac files to load into the database.  However there are two things you may try to decrease the time it takes for your BDP-1 to load your drive.

The first is to turn off the BDP-1 before unplugging the drive.  When this occurs the BDP-1 should preserve the existing library.  Then disconnect the drive from the BDP-1, update the drive with your new music.  Plug the drive back into the BDP-1.  Finally turn the BDP-1 back on, once the BDP-1 boots back up, it will still say updating, but the old library will be made available and any new additions should show up within 10 minutes (if not much less).

The second way you could go about this is to connect to the BDP-1 over your home network.  The BDP-1's firmware is designed to share any USB drive that is connected to it during startup, over the network.  BY doing this you can add files to the BDP-1 without the need of ever disconnecting the drive from the BDP-1.  Once you have copied the files over.  Open a web browser, go to the bdp-1's home page, click settings, (default user name and password are both "bryston" without quotes), click Drive Information and finally update database.  Within a few minutes your new audio files should show up.

I'll try to find some time to upload a video of how to perform the second method tomorrow.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:44 am »
Hi Neal,

Lately I feel the BDP takes longer and longer to update also, yesterday it took half an hour, to update 2 hires HDtracks files.

I suspect that the BDP's power for the second usb input on the back is not sufficient for the power needs .I've got 2 1Tb Passports attached and 1 thumb drive on the front. It plays fine, but browsing, transferring  and updating takes longer and longer. (James warned us for that, but I tried it anyway...)

They start to get filled and I suspect that does not help speeding things up either.

I will take one out to be sure, but this just might be it.

What's your setup of HDD's. Do you have a power-hungry drive attached to the top-input in the back? (that gets its power together with the 2 fronts usb's as opposed to the bottom-input that's on its own for power.

Marius

NMG

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2012, 03:31 pm »
Marius,

I have only the one Seagate 500Gb HDD attached to lower rear USB input. I am going to try Chris's Jan 13 suggestion of turning off BDP-1 before removing and then reattaching HDD and see if that speeds things up. In any case, when BDP-1 Version II comes out, this is something that needs to be addressed.

Good luck and keep me posted. Thx.

Neal

NMG

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:36 am »
I have tried the "Chris" solution of turning off the BDP-1 before removing the HDD for addition of new music, then reattaching while the until is still off. It cut down the "update" time significantly when I turned the unit on. It clearly was loading only the new music.

A simple, common-sense solution this dunderhead had not thought of. Kudos, Chris.

Neal