28B-SST2 and fried eggs

adol290

28B-SST2 and fried eggs
« on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:09 pm »

My center speaker was jealous that it was run by a 7B-SST2, and  that my front speakers were run by 2 - 28B-SST2's

So i upgraded my center speaker to a 28B to appease it.

I got my new 28B  2 days ago and left it on overnight.
 I was not playing any music throught it. The rest of my system was turned off.

When I checked it yesterday I could not believe how hot it was. It actually hurt when I placed my hand on top.
The front plate of the unit was also very hot, when you placed your hand on the front it was uncomfortable.
My current 28B's never get anywhere near this hot, even under heavy use.

I also noticed when I turned on the unit, it took twice as long to charge before the led turned green, compared to my current ones.
 Note that my current ones are only 6 months old(same technology).

I turned off the amp last night. This morning I unhooked my speaker cables and turned it back on.
 The amp is in the same place as my 7b was. Not an enclosed area but an open shelf unit, open on all 4 sides.
 The cables are the same that I used on the 7B. I will recheck when I get home today. If it is smoking hot again, I guess there is a problem.

drummermitchell

Re: 28B-SST2 and fried eggs
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:44 pm »
I'd get the bias checked out as that happened to me a couple of years ago.
I couldn't touch my 28's after 5-6 sec(hotter than a snakes butt in a wagon wheel rut in the Arizona desert).
The place I bought them thought it could be done in a couple of hours.
It takes a few days as each time they adjust them they have to stabilize I believe.
First time I had them back after a few hours as they had tried adjusting the bias,same thing.
This went on for a few weeks and finally they chatted with Bryston and yes it does take longer than a few hours.
If you don't then you'll have the same troubles as I did back and forth.
Actually Bryston was going to have Stuart Taylor come out and check the amps out(5-6 hour plane ride),
now that's Bryston service.
I  believe the audio store didn't realize it takes more than a few hours to set  the bias.
Hopefully that's your problem as mine have been excellent so far,like you my 7B-SST is lonely.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:37 pm »
My center speaker was jealous that it was run by a 7B-SST2, and  that my front speakers were run by 2 - 28B-SST2's

So i upgraded my center speaker to a 28B to appease it.

I got my new 28B  2 days ago and left it on overnight.
 I was not playing any music throught it. The rest of my system was turned off.

When I checked it yesterday I could not believe how hot it was. It actually hurt when I placed my hand on top.
The front plate of the unit was also very hot, when you placed your hand on the front it was uncomfortable.
My current 28B's never get anywhere near this hot, even under heavy use.

I also noticed when I turned on the unit, it took twice as long to charge before the led turned green, compared to my current ones.
 Note that my current ones are only 6 months old(same technology).

I turned off the amp last night. This morning I unhooked my speaker cables and turned it back on.
 The amp is in the same place as my 7b was. Not an enclosed area but an open shelf unit, open on all 4 sides.
 The cables are the same that I used on the 7B. I will recheck when I get home today. If it is smoking hot again, I guess there is a problem.

Hi,

Yes it sounds like a bias issue.  Where are you located?

james

adol290

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:51 pm »
Hi James,

I am in Winnipeg, bought from Bill M.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:21 pm »
Hi James,

I am in Winnipeg, bought from Bill M.

OK contact Mike Pickett and we will get this sorted for you - mpickett@bryston.com

james

adol290

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2012, 06:03 pm »
Thanks James,

I sent a note to Mike

adol290

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2012, 03:04 pm »

On Jan 6 I sent a note to Mike, and later in the day phoned him but got his voice mail. I left my cell
 phone number and asked him to call me back.

8 Days later and I have not received an E-mail reply, or a call back.

At this point it must say I am VERY disappointed with Bryston's customer service.

Sorry for ruining you day James.

P.S. Not only is there an over heating problem, but it takes 8-10 seconds when i turn it on, before the green
       light comes on. My old ones take 4-5 seconds.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:09 pm »
On Jan 6 I sent a note to Mike, and later in the day phoned him but got his voice mail. I left my cell
 phone number and asked him to call me back.

8 Days later and I have not received an E-mail reply, or a call back.

At this point it must say I am VERY disappointed with Bryston's customer service.

Sorry for ruining you day James.

P.S. Not only is there an over heating problem, but it takes 8-10 seconds when i turn it on, before the green
       light comes on. My old ones take 4-5 seconds.

Hi adol290

My apology - I am back from vegas on Monday and will sort this out. I would say lets get it packed up and checked out for you.

james

adol290

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2012, 04:49 pm »

Just an update on my 28b

I talked to mike on Mon Jan 16.

He was on vacation the previous week while James was trying to get his picture taken with
 the Crypt girls..   :lol:   Hence the lack of reply, and my luck.

Mike said that they would be replacing the unit with a new one in about 1.5 weeks.

3 DAYS LATER I got a call from my dealer saying my new 28B was in    :o    wow...

Now i truly understand why people rave about Bryston customer support. In my case Bryston
 outdid themselves, buy making sure I was satisfied, and them some.    :thumb:

Thanks James.....