Power conditioning for Video (Plasma)?

SoCalWJS

Power conditioning for Video (Plasma)?
« on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:10 am »
I'm thinking about adding power conditioning for my (older) Panny 720P 50" Plasma. I hear that it can really help, but don't know what direction to go in.

Anybody got input on this?

I live in the sticks and power goes out more than most places. When the power is out for awhile, I'll fire up my generator and I plug the whole A/V powerstrip (Monster) into it. Picture seems to be sharper (and I've heard many stories about how bad these little generators can be as far as power quality goes). Makes me wonder if I'm missing out.

(No need for a new set (1080p) at this point IMO as I'm about 8 feet away.)

gooberdude

Re: Power conditioning for Video (Plasma)?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:34 am »
A while back I bought a MIT Super Duplex filtering wall outlet.  It has both ac filtering & Power Factor Correction built into the design.

Even though i'm a stereo guy the improvement to my 42" 720p plasma was astounding, especially CGI programming & commercials, where a lot of color & computer graphics are used, the picture became quite 3-D.

I won't sell you on the MIT filter, mine is no longer in use, but that was the 1st time that I realized ac filtering can improve anything with a power cord!  You might also try a Highwire RF power wrap on your tv's power cord.  I have a stash of extra's if you want a used one, but they are only $25 new.  I've tried Power Wraps on most every type of component, and still use them on my plasmas & projector because I can literally see the improvement.  snake oil be dammed when it comes to improving video!  color saturation, sharpness, fluidity, etc are not subjective.

matt

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:36 pm »
 I bought a used Furman Elite 15 DM for my Samsung PN51D550 palsma and have been very pleased with it.

Mike

tarquineous

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2012, 12:46 am »
A while back I bought a MIT Super Duplex filtering wall outlet.  It has both ac filtering & Power Factor Correction built into the design.

Even though i'm a stereo guy the improvement to my 42" 720p plasma was astounding, especially CGI programming & commercials, where a lot of color & computer graphics are used, the picture became quite 3-D.

I won't sell you on the MIT filter, mine is no longer in use, but that was the 1st time that I realized ac filtering can improve anything with a power cord!  You might also try a Highwire RF power wrap on your tv's power cord.  I have a stash of extra's if you want a used one, but they are only $25 new.  I've tried Power Wraps on most every type of component, and still use them on my plasmas & projector because I can literally see the improvement.  snake oil be dammed when it comes to improving video!  color saturation, sharpness, fluidity, etc are not subjective.

matt

Mike82

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2012, 12:13 pm »
I tried a Powervar isolation transformer along with a Hammond 193L choke and saw impressive improvement in the resolution. Best part was the total cost was about $100.00.  In the past, I'd spent $2K on power conditioning and not had results this good.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm by Mike82 »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2012, 01:00 pm »
I have a 720P Pioneer plasma. A few months after buying it, I purchased an Axxium ups off of Ebay. These units were originally intended for data centers and provide double power conversion (AC to DC to AC). It's a subjective judgement, but I think it improves the Pioneer's black levels and overall display quality.

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2012, 04:05 pm »
It is worthwhile to try a variety of filters and tweaks on flat screens. If you have some basic skill with soldering and electronics you can easily put together a Hammond inductor tweak, a Unclestu battery ground tweak, and a Al S. graduated cap and resistor filter.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2012, 04:16 am »
OK - they do make a difference.

Picked up a used RSA Haley (Thanks Dan!) for my 2 channel setup, but thought that I'd plug my plasma into it first. Even my wife liked it - said maybe we ought to keep an eye out for another one (she didn't know the $$$) :icon_twisted:

Hopefully it's as noticable in my stereo.  :bounce:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2012, 11:51 am »
OK - they do make a difference.

Picked up a used RSA Haley (Thanks Dan!) for my 2 channel setup, but thought that I'd plug my plasma into it first. Even my wife liked it - said maybe we ought to keep an eye out for another one (she didn't know the $$$) :icon_twisted:

Hopefully it's as noticable in my stereo.  :bounce:
Cool.

Doesn't he still have the other unit available?   :green:  That's rockstar status for your plasma!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2012, 01:06 pm »
Cool.

Doesn't he still have the other unit available?   :green:  That's rockstar status for your plasma!
Last I checked, his Duke was still available.
I did get the Haley hooked up in my 2 channel setup last night and got in about an hour of listening. I would not have believed that something like this could make a difference so readily apparent. I have some adjusting ahead of me.

As I stated in another thread, I think I made a major mistake in not looking into the effect that an inexpensive ($100 or so) Monster Cable power strip was having on my sound. Getting rid of that seems to have helped quite a bit.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2012, 01:46 pm »
I have some adjusting ahead of me.
Such as?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2012, 02:58 pm »
Such as?
Hmmmm........where to begin?

I purchased one of the new PI Audio BUSS-Stops from Dave when the intro price came out a while back, but it was delayed and just arrived this week. In the meantime, I've been fighting various issues with my setup and various parties have insisted that a quality power conditioner might be part of the answer. When I saw the deal on the Haley (I was actually keeping an eye out for the Elgar), I decided to take the plunge. Now I have to figure out how I want these two products incorporated within my system.

I have some serious limitations to keep in mind. I do not have a dedicated circuit to my listening area and the whole thing  is plugged into two outlets on the same circuit. I have the Big Emotiva monoblocks which can draw some serious current.

My first experimental setup with both the RSA and BUSS in the system is one to each outlet with my source and pre into the RSA and the amps into the BUSS. Good choice? Not sure.

In the meantime, the PI Audio Power Cord tour is due to hit me shortly. Hmmmmmm..... :scratch:

The sound changes I observed last night:
Definitely smoother sound. Digital glare has been greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Soundstage changed - better focus and depth, less width - I've currently got my speakers toed in a bit. Time to angle them more straight forward? Don't know. I will experiment, but I really liked what I heard last night.  :thumb:

Much experimentation ahead in the next couple of weeks, but the good kind that I enjoy, especially when I think I'm getting closer to a musical system.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2012, 06:16 am »
My 7 year old 42" Sony Plasma is hooked up to my main stereo Power Conditioner, A Furman REF20i.
I use a Pangea Ac14SE powercord to the plasma.
Also covered all the unused RCA with cheap metal caps.
Each helped reduce video grain in the picture.