Upgrade from Infocusx1 to?????

Ears

« on: 5 May 2004, 01:27 pm »
Anyone familiar whith the x1 pj and better pj's have any advice on what to upgrade to?

The pj's on my list so far are the Infocus 5700,NEC1000 or a used or demoed 7200.

I would like to keep the price at 4k street or less and want better resolution,dvi and 720p.
All veiwing is done whith widescreen dvd's and if I can get an HD dish or antena through my yards surrounding tree line, I may use it for HD broadcasts in the future.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Greg

OBF

« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2004, 12:29 am »
I can't give you a whole lot of help, but I've got an LS110 which I believe is somewhat better than the X1 being native widescreen.  My sister brought one of the 7200s home a few months ago and I was rather shocked at how much better it was than the 110.  Much more vivid colors and contrast seemed a lot better with ambient light, which surprised me because I think they're both rated at similar lumens.  The 110 picture really degrades with much light.  She also recently saw a demo of their new 777 3 chip DLP using the HD2+ and said it was amazing.  But at an absurd $30k retail, it should be!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2004, 01:16 am »
well I think you answered your own question....  only one of the projectors you mentionned is 720P native panel resolution.... the HT1000 is 1024 X 768 4:3, the 5700 is 1024 X 576 Matterhorn

Under 4K new, you aren't going to find a HD2 projector.  You can get close with the Toshiba 7200 clone and the BenQ 8700.  But your choices are limited because the prices aren't there yet..... now if you want 720P and can live with LCD, then there are plenty of choices...

the 5700 is stupendous if you are mainly focused on DVD... it does HDTV quite well, but the 7200 is definitely better.  The difference in resolution is apparent there.  If you are playing DVD on both of them, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

The HT1000 is a great projector, especially if you do any computer gaming or general desktop computing because of its 4:3 aspect ratio.  Great picture quality and price is very good.  the plus with this is that you can use an anamorphic lens to use more of the panel for DVD and high def viewing.