New Servo-controlled Plant Stand.

Plund

New Servo-controlled Plant Stand.
« on: 2 Jan 2012, 07:07 pm »
I've been enjoying this servo-sub addition to my N3 towers for a few months now.  Listening in two channel, the towers sound very good by themselves.  But with this single, Rythmic 370PEQ/12" Gr driver filling-in the lower freq's of piano, cello, Bass, etc, the combination is even better!  Sorry I can't compare with other subs...this is the first sub I've owned.

During this build I attempted to practice a few things I've learned from reading the many expertise-packed posts in this circle.  i.e. vacuum bagging, and attempting to create a piano-black gloss finish.   After building a vacuum bag and procuring an ebay vacuum pump, I vacuum bagged raw cherry veneer on the side panels to match my existing N3 towers.  I followed the box plans found on Danny's site then finished the box out with walnut legs and trim. I decided I liked working with walnut...nice wood!  Both the cherry veneer and walnut were finished with alcohol-based dye and a few coats of old-school shelac. 
    I used rattle-can krylon, then cascading grades of sandpaper, then polishing compound in an attempt at a piano-black finish (with mediocre success).  I clearly need to refine my technique for a better result if I do this again, but will likely leave piano-black finishes to the pros.

Thanks again Danny for another great design/product and to the many of you who generously share your expertise!
Pete

ebag4

Re: New Servo-controlled Plant Stand.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2012, 07:12 pm »
Beautiful job Pete, really first rate.

How do you like using the vacuum approach to veneering as opposed to how you built the N3s?  Did you use the iron on method for the N3s?

Best,
Ed

jeffh

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2012, 08:32 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
The sub looks great!

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2012, 09:11 pm »
Wow, that looks great.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2012, 09:44 pm »
Man, that's professional looking. Great job!

Plund

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm »
Beautiful job Pete, really first rate.

How do you like using the vacuum approach to veneering as opposed to how you built the N3s?  Did you use the iron on method for the N3s?

Best,
Ed

Thanks for the compliments.  I tried to keep this project simple so it might have a chance of turning out OK.

Ed, Good question about veneer methods.   My thimble's worth of veneering experience isn't enough for me to say "Wow, that vacuum bagging was quick and easy".  I will need to play around with it more, then MAYBE I will be able to say that.  I did like the fact that the raw veneer did not crack/split, which is one of the reasons I wanted to try that method.  The guys who actually know how to bag veneer may laugh, but I actually like the simplicity of the Iron-on method, but have learned that raw veneer is a gamble. When I used the iron-on method on my N3's  most of the raw cherry veneer panels came out just fine.  several of the panels did insist on splitting, even though I used a softener.

Pete 

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2012, 12:30 am »
One of my favorite builds to date. 

saisunil

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2012, 01:37 am »
amazing!

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2012, 02:01 am »
You taking orders??

gijogeo

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2012, 04:40 am »
Beautiful build there Pete. The colour contrast on the sub looks amazing. Should try that for my sub build. Whats the difference in the sound signature with the port in the front on the N3? Asking coz seen it in the rear as per the plan given in the site.
Thanks Gijo

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2012, 06:21 am »
One of the nicest looking subwoofers I've ever seen. I was immediately grabbed by the image. Nice!

Plund

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2012, 07:26 pm »
 Whats the difference in the sound signature with the port in the front on the N3? Asking coz seen it in the rear as per the plan given in the site.
Thanks Gijo
[/quote]

Gijo, I am unable to say what the difference is because I've not heard an N3 ported to the rear.  I chose front-ported because I didn't have the room to hold them out from the back wall more than one foot.   I enjoy the sound and haven't felt a need to tune them by placing foam in the port mouth, as Danny has suggested as an option.   

Pete 

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:55 am »
Pete, Id like to say this is one fantastic build. Nice choice in woods, color and finish. Your Kung-Fu is strong in this field Grass hopper!. R.K.