So I bought a new receiver...

jermmd

So I bought a new receiver...
« on: 2 Jan 2012, 02:46 am »
Newegg has the Denon AVR-4311CI for $1249 (Use code DEN1231B). I've been using a turn of the century Cal Audio pre-pro for the past few years and decided to update my system. I have no intention of going beyond 5.1 for home theater but I needed HDMI switching amongst other things and I wanted a change.

I'm not sure if I'll use the Denon's amps or keep my separate multichannel amp to power my Salk HT3's. I now have a Harmon Kardon receiver (7x100W), a Cal audio pre-pro/amp (5x500W)/video processor and a Parasound Classic pre-pro/amp(5x250W) that I need to get rid of. I'm also thinking of selling my Slimdevices Transporter and using the Denon's DACs. We'll see how it sounds but either way, I'll be sending business to Audiogon.

We'll see how Audyssey's advanced MultEQ XT32 room acoustic correction system works. I don't have any room treatments presently and maybe the EQ will decrease the necessity for them. I definitely have to clean up the wiring in my home theater or my wife is going to kill me. I've been promising to neaten up the room for over 2 years!

I like the idea of being able to run the receiver through a networked PC. Maybe Ill be able to hide the Denon in a basement closet and run the wiring from there. It would be easy if I didn't have to mount the projector on the ceiling. This could end up being a very big project. I can't wait. I've been very complacent with my system for the past few years and look forward to tinkering a little bit.

Joe M.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: So I bought a new receiver...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2012, 02:21 pm »
I recently found a gem of a HT receiver/deal:

http://www.upgradecompany.com/upgrade-company-shop-online/anthem?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=131&category_id=28

This unit trickles technology down from some really good HT Anthem gear, uses ARC (better/simplier than Audyssey), and is modded by the Upgrade Company (a top notch retailer/modder).

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:10 pm »
Wow, that looks really decent. That seems pretty comparable to the Denon feature wise. I've never used Anthem gear but it has a superior reputation. Did you buy it?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:38 pm »
No, I was just window shopping.

Anthem is owned by Paradigm, so lots of retail opprotunities outlets for an audition.

The Upgrade Company should be the real icing on the cake, but I've not dealt with them.

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:41 pm »
Well, my new Denon receiver has arrived. Unfortunately, the speaker terminals are relatively cheap and do not accept lugs that my Greg Staley speaker wire use. I'm going out today to buy some zip line and a few more HDMI cables, then I'll hook it up and have a listen.

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:31 am »
Initial impressions are that I'll need a separate amp for stereo playback and I still need room treatments. The Cal Audio gear was definitely superior for music playback. The Denon is great for movies/video and system integration and the Audyssey set up was great and right on the money for speaker distances/range/volume. I look forward to listening to the newer sound modes and I dig the PC/laptop control. I've also opened up one whole shelf on my rack and gotten rid of 12 cables that were a mess on the floor. So far it's a winner. I wish the amp section was a little better but it would be unrealistic to hope for it to equal separates.