Nuforce IA-7 V2 and Wilson Sophia 2

sean shim

Nuforce IA-7 V2 and Wilson Sophia 2
« on: 31 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm »
I just bought Wilson Sophia 2 and it has sensitivity of 89dB. Can my IA-7 V2 power these speakers? If no, is there some simple upgrade for IA-7V2 or do I need to upgrade to more powerful amps?

sminiero

Re: Nuforce IA-7 V2 and Wilson Sophia 2
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:16 am »
Hi,

Sure the IA7-V2 can drive such speakers (89dB/w/m on 4 Ohm), but if this is suitable enough for your needs only depends on the sound pressure you need.

You should use a sound level meter to know exactly which sound pressure you usually reach (there are a lot of cheap ones on ebay, less the 90$ with a built-in microphone! Any audiophile should have one  8)).

Consider that to achieve an increment of 3dB you have to double the power, but such an increment means to double even the sound pressure (dB are logarithmics).

My IA7-v3 drives a pair of Linn Keosa (90 dB on 8 ohm), and I can reach more then 100dB at the listening seat.

This is a very high level, like a jackhummer running at 3 mt. If you usually listen at such volume level, it means your neighbors usually call the police!
 :)

Anyway I think the IA7 can drive almost any speaker, no matter its low impedance or its phase rotations, thanks to the power (325W peak power at 8 ohm) and high dumping factor.

Regards
Stefano