Concentric Series Speaker Cable -- Biwiring possible?

ctviggen

Is it possible to biwire with these speaker cables?  By "biwire," I mean that I'd have a single spade connect two wires at the amp end and the two wires would go to the mids and woofer of the speaker.  If I do this and choose to biamp (cut off the single spade connector and connect to two spade connectors, each one going to an amplifier), how hard would that be?

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2004, 10:56 pm »
Possible but not always suggested.   The Cardas SE series cables are on the rather high side for capacitance.   Doubling up runs is going to mean even more total capacitance so it is something I'd watch if you have an amplifier that doesn't like high capacitance loads.

Another approach is to use the JR twisted pair design with two runs of SE-15.   This would change all the inductance/capacitance numbers and allow you to biwire but the cable cost/ft is double.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2004, 07:00 pm »
Two runs of SE-15 sounds good.  Can you tell me what effective gauge this wire is?  Or does that even matter with this?  Also, I have a coax stripper that does RG-6/59/58.  Is that good? What I'll likely do is order six pairs of cables -- two for each of the right/left and one pair for the center channel, which I'm thinking of biamping as I have two spare amp channels.  Thanks!

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2004, 02:02 pm »
The SE-15 is effective 15 AWG per run.   You don't need a stripper but you do need to let me know what length you need for each run because I strip & tin the cable before shipping it.  If you want a larger effective gauge you can go with the SE-11 as it gives you an effective 11AWG.