Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, New Price Twist?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Went to the movie place in town here in NYC yesterday.  At the AMC theaters, before noon daily it's usually $6 (regular full price $12).  So, I thought I'd see an early show.  I saw on the ticket machine screen as $10 for the early bird price.  That's for the regular, not the IMAX version ($18).  Is this so (higher price compared to other similar movies) in other parts of the country?  Is this prelude to a price increase/shocker?  Or, is it that they had to pay Tom Cruise too much money that they're charging more just for this release?
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2012, 06:07 pm by goldlizsts »

watercourse

Re: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, New Price Twist?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 05:55 am »
I saw the 4:15 IMAX show for $17 a pop. I do this once or twice a year. This time, it was worth every penny! Didn't see the price of the regular tix, so can't comment.Not a big Tom Cruise fan either. This one was just a tight movie from beginning to end.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:57 am »
Holiday pricing, probably.  I've run into that in NYC before during the holidays.  They are charging what the traffic will bear.

vondoom88

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm »
 Wow, that's some outrageous pricing. My local AMC is $5 before noon then its like 7-8.00. Can't remember as I usually hit the early shows. Also if you go to movies quite a bit join AMC stubs, I've already gotten $20 in rewards.

So about the movie. What did you guys think? I liked it but I think I liked MI:3 the best so far.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2012, 09:41 pm »
Wow, that's some outrageous pricing. My local AMC is $5 before noon then its like 7-8.00. Can't remember as I usually hit the early shows. Also if you go to movies quite a bit join AMC stubs, I've already gotten $20 in rewards.

So about the movie. What did you guys think? I liked it but I think I liked MI:3 the best so far.

AMC Stubs is a good idea. We go to the movies often enough that it is worthwhile.

I thought it was the best film since the first one. I liked the subtle references to the television series (Cruise's Russian general and no ridiculous CG masks). Stunts and action were terrific and was much more an 'event' film than MI3 which just looked like a really good action film on Showtime thanks to JJ Abrams. Leave it to someone from Pixar to direct the film with wonderful physical and silent touches (no dialogue in the first 5 min. or so), and to come up with the coolest MI gadget so far (the hallway hologram) which in itself seems a clever nod to CG/Pixar animation.

It's just overall more creative and imaginative than the rest. I have to hand it to Cruise, whenever I want to count him out he delivers the goods. He really is one smart SOB (er, in terms of making movies that is).

Edit: MI2 doesn't count in my comparison as it's a John Woo film and exists in a parallel dimension of Woo-ness all it's own.

finsup

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:20 am »
It's holiday pricing. I went to an early show during Christmas week at an AMC theater in Charlotte and paid full pop.  The placard listed the usual pricing scheme but also disclosed that holiday prices applied. 

I liked the movie.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2012, 04:13 am »
It's holiday pricing. I went to an early show during Christmas week at an AMC theater in Charlotte and paid full pop.  The placard listed the usual pricing scheme but also disclosed that holiday prices applied. 

I liked the movie.

I saw Sherlock Holmes instead, $6, scratching my head at the $10 MI show price.  Someone (think it's from AMC) called me yesterday, and asked me for more info, if I charged it.... I told him I paid cash.  Sounded like he wanted to do something, but.... Sherlock $6, but Tom Cruise charged $10.... Think Sherlock was also a Christmas movie?  Why the difference I thought.... Anyhow, water under the bridge.  I then decided to sign up Stubs, $6 for a year.  So, if I see say 10 films the rest of the year, I'd probably be ahead a little.  Not so if they now make $10 the pre-noon price at AMC....  I recall several years ago, the mayor of NYC, Ed Koch, screamed bloody murder when the movie houses raised the price.  Now, $17 for an IMAX or 3D, and nobody is complaining anymore.  We all wimp out at "inflation" or what?  Imagine a family of 4 going to a 3D movie, picking up popcorn, etc.....   Well, baseball ain't cheap either these days.  Somebody got paid lots of dough$ for sure; they have to take it out on the little guys.  They all have superstars, commanding mega bucks - Baseball, basketball, Hollywood stars......  Better cut out the rambling! 

Thanks guys for your input.  :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:10 pm »
Just saw this on DVD last night, plenty of action and high-tech gadgetry. I enjoyed it more than the Bond stuff of late.

I didnt bring out the big subwoofer for this one but will have to watch again with the full arsonal so i cant speak about low bass content, but i suspect it wont disappoint.

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2012, 05:07 pm »
I had picked up the bluray version and watched on my 118"cinema scope.
I think it's the best TC did so far and like was mentioned some great effects.
Will be watching again soon.

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2012, 12:52 am »
I watched this one on a Bluray disc last night.  Definitely the best of the Mission Impossible Movies.  If you have not seen it I recommend you rent this one!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2012, 01:26 am »
I watched this one on a Bluray disc last night.  Definitely the best of the Mission Impossible Movies.  If you have not seen it I recommend you rent this one!

Did same last night.  Agree 100%.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2012, 01:09 pm »
I really liked the first MI movie, but I thought the second one skipped around too much and was disjointed. This last one was over the top unwatchable for me. I got to the end of it and said "OK, so what the hell just happened? What was the storyline? Lots of action but almost nothing else to hold my attention. It was like a Bourne movie on steriods."