Bugle resistor values

macdelf

Bugle resistor values
« on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:00 pm »
Just a question that someone might be able to answer. The stock R8 and R26 are 8.45 K Ohm.
When I calculate the transfer function with all stock values I get that this gives a -1.3 dB power deviation at 10 KHz from ideal RIAA.

When I first built my bugle I put 47 KOhm in parallel with these. It was good but later I found it to be bright and removed them. I calculate that with the 47K the RIAA should be almost perfect.

Is this correct? Should I put the 47K back in?

poty

Re: Bugle resistor values
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 10:54 am »
I'm not sure exactly - should take some time to count - but it seems "just pulled out the neck - the tail sink". Try to count the function not only at 10 kHZ but in several points in frequency.

macdelf

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:03 pm »
My calcualtions showed it at the entire high end, but last night I found an old post.

There is actually 47Kohm in parallel with the resistor in the circuit already from the next stage wich I neglected to include, so I was correct to remove the resistor that I had added, but wrong in my initial calculation.

Thank You
I now understand

reuben

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2011, 06:00 pm »
In my bugle, I went the other direction: C2 and C5 are each bypassed with a 470pf polystyrene. This shifted the EQ slightly, got rid of that 'in your face' effect, and made everything sound more natural. The improvement may be system dependent.

-reub