TV System

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
TV System
« on: 29 Dec 2011, 03:59 pm »
Looking to put together a small system purely for TV and casual net movie streaming.  I'm considering

NuForce Dia
NuForce W-1
NHT Super Zero's

Output of the TV will be TOSLINK into the Dia

Looking on the Nuforce site at the W-1, not seeing any specs on ins, outs, etc. and no pics of the rear panel.  Can I safely assume that it has speaker level ins and outs and the xover functions on those so I can just feed the sub, then  crossed over output out to the mains?

The specs of the Dia say there's a separate line out for a sub but I'm not seeing it in the pictures.  Using it that way would also then still force the small mains to run full range.

Thanks for any clarification.

Bryan

srb

Re: TV System
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:01 pm »
Looking on the Nuforce site at the W-1, not seeing any specs on ins, outs, etc. and no pics of the rear panel.  Can I safely assume that it has speaker level ins and outs and the xover functions on those so I can just feed the sub, then crossed over output out to the mains?

No, the rear panel only has line-level inputs (and outputs), so I assume the monitors would have to be run full-range.

The specs of the Dia say there's a separate line out for a sub but I'm not seeing it in the pictures.  Using it that way would also then still force the small mains to run full range.

The Dia references a line out to be used for a subwoofer, but the only line out seems to be the 3.5mm line out on the FRONT panel, which seems a bit wonky.

Also on the subject of digital optical out from your TV, my Panasonic plasma (and some other Panasonic models as well) don't have a setting to output 2 channel PCM instead of Dolby Digital.  In fact on my TV it states:

"When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC channel is selected, the output will be PCM."

So just make sure that your particular TV can be set to always output 2 channel PCM.

Steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:05 pm »
Thanks for the info Steve.  I obviously would prefer the line level but the outs on the TV are digital only if I want it to act on all inputs to the TV which are all HDMI.

Guess I need to look for a different sub. Not finding any way that I can use the Dia as an out and then back in type thing at preamp level. The whole idea was to keep this small and simple and avoid running the big rig (tubes) for something better than 1.5" soundbar speakers.  An outboard DAC would solve the problem (kind of) but now we're getting into more space/money/complexity than I wanted.

Bryan

srb

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:21 pm »
If you don't already own the speakers, you are looking at $750 for that setup.  If you can accommodate a single standard size 17"W X 4"H X14"D component (with integral subwoofer!) this Focal Little Bird 2.1 is an interesting possibility that can be had for $995 (or $875 as demo unit).

Steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:38 pm »
Thanks for that option. Really don't have space for a full size and the speakers need to wall mount. The reason I was looking at the NuForce W-1 was the size.  The NHT matching sub is an 8" that takes up more space.  I may just end up with the Dia and Super Zero's for now and worry about the sub later. Like I said, this is nothing fancy, just upgraded TV sound - no music, no streaming, etc.

Bryan