Yaqin Headphone Amp

ajzepp

Yaqin Headphone Amp
« on: 28 Dec 2011, 06:35 am »
I have searched here and on head-fi.org, and can only find very limited info on this amp....no real user feedback anywhere to be found, really.

Anyone ever heard anything about it? Would this be able to power higher impedance (600ohm) headphones?

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-PH-6-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier.html

ajzepp

Re: Yaqin Headphone Amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2011, 05:53 pm »
I guess I'll answer my own question since Ian at Grant Fidelity has already emailed back...

Here is what he said: "600 ohms is fine, the PH-6 does 30-600 ohms, you would select the 300 ohm switch for headphones from about 150ohms to 600 is how it works. Of course, for headphones between say 100 and 250 ohms you could try both settings and see which worked best. This is an excellent sounding headphone amp. I run the TubeDAC-11 DirectOut into it and it is quite something!
Cheers,
Ian"

I know Yaqin is one of the better regarded Chinese audio companies, so this is a tempting buy for a first headphone amp.

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2011, 07:49 pm »
Just my 2 cents here but this is the headphone amp I have.  It amps my beyers DT 990 (600 OHMS) to levels that are as good as (at times) as my mains.  Would love to hear what you decide on.  Happy shopping. :icon_lol:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:06 pm »
Milford: That piece of Schitt is still the front runner for me...I prefer to buy products made in the US whenever possible, so I'm 90% certain that the Valhalla is what I'll end up buying. I did consider a portable amp, but I think I'll hold off on that for right now. I hear a lot of people who are happy with the Grant Fidelity offerings, but for some reason nobody seems to know anything about this Yaqin headphone amp....it's really weird, cause it seems to be a pretty nice piece  :scratch:

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:20 pm »
Zepp:  Be aware of this if you go with the Yaqin headphone amp:

Warning: this product is pre-set at factory for 230V. If you use it in 115V country such as USA and Canada, please change the fuse (provided) and set the voltage to 115V before turning it on.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:29 pm »
Zepp- The Yaquin needs some type of power converter, I read something here or on head-fi just yesterday where somebody is selling one and is including the converter. Its not flip the switch which for me would nix it...I need easy.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2011, 09:10 pm »
EClein: Power converter? I need easy too...this is my first time playing with cans lol

Milford: Thanks, I had missed that...probably won't even come into play, though, cause I'm thinking it's gonna be the Valhalla  :thumb:

i wish figuring the amp part out was as easy as settling on the headphones!  :duh:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm »
I hope to be getting an Asgard shortly, the Schitt gear is a safe bet zepp. I like the guarantee and its well documented that they have great customer service.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm »
I hope to be getting an Asgard shortly, the Schitt gear is a safe bet zepp. I like the guarantee and its well documented that they have great customer service.

Good point. I can already attest to the customer service...Jason has emailed me back a few times with some questions I had a week or two ago. And you can't argue with the looks of that gear...very slick  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:55 am »
With a name like Schitt it's gotta be good.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2012, 02:24 am »
Well, the Schitt ended up finishing second in terms of my decision. I have had several email exchanges with Herr Meier, and the Meier Corda Jazz will be ordered on 1/20/12. Takes about 1-2 weeks for shipping, so sometime in early February I'll have it in  house. Also, I've REALLY come close to changing my mind about the headphones from the Beyer 880s to the HiFiman 500s, but for now i'm gonna go with the Beyers as my first "real" set of cans.