Sherlock Holmes "A Game of Shadows"

Bigfish

Sherlock Holmes "A Game of Shadows"
« on: 25 Dec 2011, 09:08 pm »
My son and I watched the latest Sherlock Holmes, "A Game of Shadows" this afternoon.  He wanted to see it and I went along but was quite a bit skeptical because the first Sherlock Holmes was IMHO not a very good movie.  Well, I must say I was very happily surprised as this movie was quite good.  The action is very good and nearly non-stop from start to finish.  The story was much more interesting and while I cannot say it is a must see, I can say if you go to see it I do not think you will be disappointed.  My rating 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Ken

ctviggen

Re: Sherlock Holmes "A Game of Shadows"
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:21 pm »
I thought the first movie was great and have seen it several times.  So, I'd probably like this one, too.  Rotten Tomatoes isn't too hot on it, though.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:48 pm »
If you like Robert Downey Jr., and adventure stories, it's a great flick. It's not really a Sherlock Holmes story, however.

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2011, 06:36 pm »
Unfortunately nobody would pay to see sherlock Holmes as it is written. Maybe a made for tv film would work. This sherlock is far better than the first.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2011, 06:54 pm »
Unfortunately nobody would pay to see sherlock Holmes as it is written. Maybe a made for tv film would work. This sherlock is far better than the first.

Made for PBS to be shown after 10pm.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm »
I do like the modern reinterpretation with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson. Very entertaining.

drjjpdc

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2011, 02:53 am »
If any of you hit any yard sales, I've had copies of some Sherlock Holmes stories as read by Basil Rathbone on the Caedmon LP label. Needless to say they are great.

I enjoyed the first movie and am looking forward to the 2nd.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2011, 04:00 am »
Being a moderate fan of things Holmesian, I thought Downing's second installment was quite a bit stronger than the first. He and Law play well, and the new movie doesn't suffer from the CGI'd Steam Punk Nonsense of their first outing.

The two Downing/Law movies do have elements borrowed from various stories. I think that is another element contributing to their success.

I would have to disagree with Don_S: There is a strong fan/cult following of Holmes, and quite a few people would pay to see a more direct translation from book to screen. That said, I don't know if they could make enough money. As a period piece, production would get a little pricey.

Speaking of TV movies, I would suggest the four Hallmark productions with Matt Frewer as Holmes. They are available on DVD.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:33 am »
I liked it, but it was a little too fast. I felt like it was missing some parts to make me fall in love with it. Guy Ritchie is good but... he needs some help with the writing on some of it. I just wasn't in love with anyone in the film.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2011, 09:30 am »
This film is better than the first, but that's not saying much. As long as one keeps in mind that it is directed by the same person who did Snatch and Lock, Stock, Two Smoking Barrels, etc. then expectations should be met. Some of the effects are cool but no question it is dumbed-down entertainment. At least it may encourage young minds to read the books. Stephen Fry stole the film and Jared Harris is a great Moriarty. If only Downey would stop sucking the air out of the room long enough, you might notice some other decent performances. Dude needs a leash.

Jeremy Brett is still the best Sherlock on-screen IMO.

drjjpdc

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2011, 07:38 pm »
My feelings are that there are movies that are accurate to the source (usually a total accident) and movies that entertain. Obviously the two SH movies are in the latter category. However there are enough puzzles to make you think. It just that they wait till the end, but that's what the books did anyway.

Of course the fight scenes and SP FX are not in the books, but the interplay between Rob and Jude is undeniable. I actually enjoyed seeing the old Doc played a bit more energetically. Besides Holmes, I am a big fan of Shakespeare but how often do you see Will accurately portrayed on the screen? If I want to see accurate portrayals of the classics, I turn to public TV.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2011, 08:21 pm »
I enjoyed it, a great bit of fun.

For SH fans, I did get the complete works on Kindle at no charge.  Pub. domain now.  All the Shakespeare stuff too.