Current LS6 setup and Onix X-CS upgrades

freerider

Current LS6 setup and Onix X-CS upgrades
« on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:16 pm »
Just thought I'd post a final picture of my LS6 build.  It's a bit cluttered with Christmas right now, and the tree is not helping with the soundstage, but you get the idea.

These are the MFW-15 subs and x-omnis as rear surrounds:

freerider

Re: Current LS6 setup and Onix X-CS upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:26 pm »
Here's the inside of the AV123 Onix center channel.  I was just going upgrade to the Encore tweeter and crossover, but after seeing the inside, well now I have to do the whole box.  I didn't like how muddy the bass sounded, so I'm tearing out the 1/2" wool and adding NoRez and poly fill to the cabinet.

Here's the old and new crossover.

It took a bit of time to scrape out all the glue.  There were quite a few drips.

I put down some flooring tile on the side where I will mount the crossover, and began the NoRez application.

freerider

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:41 pm »
I also noticed some of the braces are not glued, or even touching the cabinet walls.  I can wiggle the top brace in this picture.  So I'll be fixing this as well with some polyurethane glue.

I learned it is a good idea to look inside your Av123 Craigslist purchase before just dropping it in a system.

Chops

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2011, 03:00 pm »
Just thought I'd post a final picture of my LS6 build.  It's a bit cluttered with Christmas right now, and the tree is not helping with the soundstage, but you get the idea.

I would say the Christmas tree is the least of your worries. How do those LS6's sound crammed into the corners like that?

They certainly look beautiful though. You gotta love the look of massive line arrays.

freerider

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2011, 03:51 pm »
They sound great.  I'll be putting 4" thick 705 bass traps behind them with a 1" air gap.  So 5" inch thick bass trap. That will improve low end clarity.

I'm well aware of all the issues with putting them in the corner, but that's how it has to be unfortunately.

Chops

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm »

I'm well aware of all the issues with putting them in the corner, but that's how it has to be unfortunately.

I know what you mean. I really have to room to talk. My left channel is in a corner right next to a sliding glass window, and the right channel is pretty much right out in the open with half a wall behind it and nothing to the right of it.

doug067

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2011, 09:37 pm »
It's good to see them in their places fianally. Looks good!!
Funny the spaces we have to deal with.

Chops

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm »
I'm not going to take over freerider's thread about my little adventure today, but I took Danny's advice on speaker placement. I'll be updating my thread in a few minutes.

freerider

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:50 am »
I finished my Onix X-CS upgrade today.  Boy, what a difference!  The bass tightened up nicely, and the new Encore tweeter is much more detailed and clear than the regular one.  In fact, after this upgrade, I liked the sound of the center more than my X-LS's I built.

Before:

After:

After + polyfill:

On a side note, it's a shame to hide the Encore tweeter in the cabinet.  The housing looks awesome.

freerider

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:51 am »
Final picture; the happy center channel.

BYOB

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2011, 01:40 pm »
Looks good. I also love my LS6, sound is fantastic.
Have you tried flipping the LS6 with BG tweeters on the outside? I believe that was Danny's recommendation but I have not compared the sound like you have them...too big to move.

mojave

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2011, 03:56 pm »
That looks good. A couple years ago I scraped the old felt/glue out of my X-CS and X-Omni's during a couple NFL playoff games one Saturday. They sure made it difficult.

Did you roundover the back of the woofer holes on the X-CS or were they already rounded over? Mine aren't.

How do you like the X-Omni's as surrounds?

freerider

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2011, 05:08 pm »
The woofer holes were already rounded over, thankfully.  None of the internal bracing was though. Not much I can do about that.

My X-Omni's sound fine as surrounds, but I can't really compare them to anything, as surrounds barely put out much as it is.  I mainly was looking for a surround with a built-in stand, which the X-Omni provides.   I watched the latest Potter film last night, and the surrounds did a great job, though my listening levels are a bit low, due to sleeping little ones.

I will be putting polyfill in the X-Omnis, but I won't replace the wool.  As a surround speaker, I don't want to spend the time or money on a NoRez treatment.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2011, 06:40 pm by freerider »