Headphone Noob Here

ajzepp

Headphone Noob Here
« on: 24 Dec 2011, 11:56 pm »
Hey all...

I've been wanting to get into headphones for a while. I have pretty much settled on picking up a pair of Beyerdynamic 880s, the 600 ohm version. I was also pretty much settled on getting a Schitt Valhalla amp to pair with them, but now I'm wondering if a portable headphone amp might be more appealing to me.

Can you guys tell me if there are portables that mate well with higher impedance headphones such as the 880s? Can portable amp sound be as good as a regular headphone amp?

Also, my source wuold be my iPod. I have it full of lossless files, and I know that some docks/cables utilize the iPods DAC whereas others bypass it. What would be the best type of cable to use in order to keep the quality of my lossless files intact?

Thanks all...and Merry Christmas/Happy HOlidays!

milford3

Re: Headphone Noob Here
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:53 am »
Nothing I've ever owned has beat this combo.  The beyer DT990 and the Schiit Valhla tube amp.  Holy crap!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2011, 05:10 am »
ajzepp welcome to what seems like Disneyland sometimes when you get going full bore into headphones.
 Correct if I'm wrong but it sounds like you plan on using these alot when maybe you travel for work, commute etc...just check the laws in your state as far as wearing something that starts isolating your ears from hearing emergency vehicles and such.
 If your wearing them for those occasions just make sure your comfortable with wearing big headphones around town and someone snatching them....

OK...I have HE-5LE's and use anything I can find, AV Receiver for late night movies, I can get a decent signal from a Fiio E11 portable headphone amp. It sounds under powered but it can be done and more and more companies are making portables that can drive difficult headphones.
 I am getting an Asgard because its really all the coin I can put out and I think I'll be OK. Even the hifiman HM-801's and all are making it possible to swap in different amp modules, but that can add up. I only use my HE-5LE's in my apartment and when I take my walk everyday I use a Fiio E11 and whatever DAP I grab, I have a few because I wanted to check some for sound character. I even have a Sansa + thats maybe 2" by 1" and holds like 48 GB of tunes--A ZEN X-Fi thats now discontinued by Creative.

I would suggest a headphone amp for the big rig you may have and use IEM's (In-Ear-Monitors) when commuting or whatever it is you need to do.

An ipod using a LOD cable (Line-Out-Direct ??) the one that utilizes the docking connection thus bypassing the internal DAC and playing back your files natively. I'll put a pic of one here for you to see but there are hundreds of different makes, models, formulation of cable etc...I go with Fiio stuff when I can because its always reasonable and they work, period.

This for me is the really fun part of the hobby because buying different items and checking stuff out isn't budget breaking and there are a boatload of things to try--so have fun!!!

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2011, 09:21 am »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Milford: I'm really glad to know that the Valhalla pairs well with the BeyerD's...Jason at Schitt suggested the higher Ohm Beyer's to me, so I'm pretty excited about picking up a pair of 880s. That is still the direction I may go.

EClein: So those HE-5LE's are planars, eh? How cool is that?? And yes, I definitely would like to have a portable amp with me when I commute to work, cause I really enjoy listening to music during my downtime there. That's the main reason I was thinking maybe a portable amp would be the better choice, although it's possible I may do exactly as you suggested and get both a portable and one for the home, such as the Schitt Valhalla. I did read a review about that Fiio E11, and seems like it's pretty well regarded for a budget portable. I am somewhat drawn to the Ray Samuels Audio line for some reason...it seems I've seen nothing but positive reviews on that line. Or maybe I'll just stick with my idea to grab the Valhalla, get used to a good pair of BeyerD cans, and then worry about a portable later.

I'm just glad I don't really have any desire to change anything about my home rig, so now I can focus a bit on headphones. I don't plan to change my main speakers or gear anytime soon, and that's a nice feeling!

saisunil

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2011, 03:26 am »
what you have planned for a home setup ... sounds quite good ...
just to throw a curve ball ...
http://www.head-direct.com/
hifiman has been producing some of the best headphones on the planet today ... no they won't be as light and comfortable as Beyers - but IMO in another league all together ... 

for a portable ... here are a couple of recommendations:
again hifiman has three excellent players at various price points ... 801 considered as one of the best DAP if not the best DAP available today at any price ...

Hisound has released new rocoo digital audio players
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583197/1-for-hisound-s-new-released-rocoo-player

I just got one - they sound amazing (they are cool side - opposite of hifiman that are warm) ... going on amazing price right now ...

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:34 pm »
what you have planned for a home setup ... sounds quite good ...
just to throw a curve ball ...
http://www.head-direct.com/
hifiman has been producing some of the best headphones on the planet today ... no they won't be as light and comfortable as Beyers - but IMO in another league all together ... 

for a portable ... here are a couple of recommendations:
again hifiman has three excellent players at various price points ... 801 considered as one of the best DAP if not the best DAP available today at any price ...

Hisound has released new rocoo digital audio players
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583197/1-for-hisound-s-new-released-rocoo-player

I just got one - they sound amazing (they are cool side - opposite of hifiman that are warm) ... going on amazing price right now ...

Thanks, I'll definitely spend some time checking out their stuff...looks like their headphones have planar magnetic drivers?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2011, 08:15 am »
Well guys, I think I've narrowed my short list down to two - The Schitt Valhalla vs the Meier Audio Corda Jazz. I was disappointed to read that Jan Meier has his products assembled in China, as I was pretty happy at the thought of buying a strictly German product (I'm German-American). I'm very, very impressed with all that I've read about his theories and the approach he takes with his products. I'd even say I'm leaning in that direction, especially since the Valhalla is now backordered. I'll keep you all posted :)

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2011, 08:42 am »
If you want the king of German headphone amps check out the SPL Phonitor,  it's like the Jan Meier crossfeed offerings on steroids!  But, it also costs about $2K us dollars.....

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2011, 09:43 am »
If you want the king of German headphone amps check out the SPL Phonitor,  it's like the Jan Meier crossfeed offerings on steroids!  But, it also costs about $2K us dollars.....

WOW!!!  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnPl0WpIDw

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm »
If you haven't already ordered, check out WooAudio - Jack Woo makes his products in NYC and his stuff is really nice.  He always responds promptly to emails, too.
I use a WooAudio 6 with DT880s and I don't think that you'll be disappointed. 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:32 pm »
I would buy Woo no doubt if I could afford them, they are as Steve mentioned very good. I understand your choice Zepp and must say you are thorough. We should be asking you for advice.... LOL....Happy New Year Folks!!!! :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm »
Steve: Thanks, man. I see that Woo Audio has a lot of very satisfied customers. I also like that he packages the headphones I want in with his amps at a small discount. Unfortunately the Woo amp I would want is out of my price range lol. I could just go with the WA3, but I know myself and I would eventually want the 2!  :duh:  I do like that he has a long history in NYC...that's major props in my book. Glad to hear you're rockin' the 880s...even though I have yet to hear them, for some reason I'm very confident in my decision on cans! :D

Eclein: For some reason, I really enjoy the research phase. I can go from having zero knowledge in a given area and then all of a sudden feel like I know exactly what products are in the marketplace and which ones are best for me, lol. I'm not quite there with this stuff yet, but I feel much more educated about my choices now than I did a few weeks ago.

I've had a few email exchanges with Dr. Jan Meier, and I have to say I'm really impressed with this gentleman. I don't often use this term, but I dare say this guy is a genius. I do wish that German CRAFTSMANSHIP came along with the German design and German parts, but I understand that he's trying to keep costs down. Apparently his products are simply assembled by a third party Chinese audio manufacturer, so I can probably live with that. (And as a disclaimer: I have absolutely no bias against people of Asia...I just prefer to support German and American made products and companies.)  Herr Meier is also a big fan of BeyerDynamic, as well...so that helps that he knows how the headphones I want will mate with his gear.

If you guys have any more recs in terms of IEMs, please let me know! I know the UE tripleFi ones are highly regarded, and I'm keeping a close eye on Amazon to see if they drop. But I think instead of going with a portable amp for my main headphones, I will just pick up a pair of IEMs to use with my iPhone/iPod.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!! And Happy New Years!!!  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2012, 12:11 am »
zepp one of the places I always check is the B-stock listings at headroom.com and I'm pleased to report that every item I have gotten from the B-Stock there (4  items) all are A-1 condition the box might not be but thats ok by me. I bought a pair of etymotic MC5's and they are excellent IEM's, on par with the UE TF10's which I also have. They have some MC3's in B-stock now as of this afternoon for I think $79...I would say they might be perfect for your IEM's.
  I am also part German and I understand your thinking, another option you might like.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:47 am »
Eclein, you are the MAN when it comes to this headphone/IEM stuff lol... :thumb:

As for the German thing, I really like to take pride in the gear I own, and I've done a pretty good job of achieving that along the way. Jan Meier just seems like a really interesting and cordial fellow (he posts on head-fi quite a bit...been reading some of them from the last few years), and I would be very proud to own one of his products. I dare say, I'm pretty much sold on the Meier Corda, so hopefully I'll have it in house in a few weeks and can offer some feedback in case anyone is interested. But anyway, I can tell you are very passionate about this hobby, and that was sort of the point I was trying to get at lol...I really appreciate people like yourself who participate in forums like this...the fellowship and camaraderie on Audio Circle in particular is awesome  :thumb:

I'm gonna go check out those IEMs now :)

EDIT: Eclein, that website seems to go to some real estate blog lol. Nonetheless, I ordered a pair of MC5s in black from Amazon...$59 shipped. They'll be here Wednesday....thanks man! :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm »
Great price......now remember the thing with IEM's is fit OK. You want to pick the eartips that give you a nice seal. I use the mediums that are usually already on the pair when they ship but don't be afraid to try them all even if you think, "no way these won't fit".....when the IEM is in your ear and the seal is good thats where all the bass response comes from. If you get hung up when they arrive with this just shout! Have a great time!!!!! :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm »
Great price......now remember the thing with IEM's is fit OK. You want to pick the eartips that give you a nice seal. I use the mediums that are usually already on the pair when they ship but don't be afraid to try them all even if you think, "no way these won't fit".....when the IEM is in your ear and the seal is good thats where all the bass response comes from. If you get hung up when they arrive with this just shout! Have a great time!!!!! :thumb:

Thanks, much appreciated! I'm really looking forward to them, cause I always have just used the little white earphones that apple includes with their devices. I'm hoping to hear a nice step up in audio quality, and then yet another step up in a few weeks when I have my new headamp and cans in house  :thumb:

I love my Magnepans and the audio rig I have put together, but I'm looking forward to just lying in bed listening to tunes...I've never really had that capability in terms of having excellent sound quality....so this will be a real treat!  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2012, 04:39 pm »
You may find it quite surprising, I did, and playing in this part of the hobby is affordable for me and head-fi always has members turning over new stuff for a good price. They are just as fickle, if not more, then we are doing hifi sometimes!!! :thumb:

The MC5's are very neutral, or even throughout in presentation. Thats why I like them, if you want serious bass banging IEM's I know those too but they are not always as accurate everywhere else. Enough of me....enjoy...put on "Close To The Edge" if your into it and close your eyes...... :thumb: :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2012, 09:06 pm »
You may find it quite surprising, I did, and playing in this part of the hobby is affordable for me and head-fi always has members turning over new stuff for a good price. They are just as fickle, if not more, then we are doing hifi sometimes!!! :thumb:

The MC5's are very neutral, or even throughout in presentation. Thats why I like them, if you want serious bass banging IEM's I know those too but they are not always as accurate everywhere else. Enough of me....enjoy...put on "Close To The Edge" if your into it and close your eyes...... :thumb: :thumb:

I'm definitely curious to see if I end up using the headphone rig more often than I do my big rig. I'm sure I will at first, but down the I'm not sure. I'm definitely not a bass head. I like a nice balanced presentation. That was one of the things that drew me to the 880s, as people kept saying they were just very accurate headphones with neither the high end or the low end overemphasized. The music is reproduced as it is in its recorded state, and that's what I like. My main system is very transparent and neutral with a tremendous amount of realism, and I'm hoping that's what I end up with for my headphone rig, as well. But like you said, the headphone side isn't quite as expensive as regular hifi gear/speakers, so it'll be fun to swap out/add gear along the way to find what I like best.

If you ever want a good laugh, read some of the comments on Amazon about the MC5/3 IEMs. Apparently they go into your ear canal a bit more than other IEMs, and the comments are hilarious.  :lol:

andychen

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2012, 08:03 pm »
I strongly suggest against using a portable amp to drive DT880, 600 ohm. You can get decent sound, but you will never drive the DT880 to its full potential. I have tried several budget desktop amps as well, and none sounded as good as the Woo Audio 6 that I have listened to.

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2012, 02:05 am »
I strongly suggest against using a portable amp to drive DT880, 600 ohm. You can get decent sound, but you will never drive the DT880 to its full potential. I have tried several budget desktop amps as well, and none sounded as good as the Woo Audio 6 that I have listened to.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to...today I put in a reservation for a Meier Audio Corta Jazz amp :)