Pioneer player: MOD vs. OUTBOARD DAC

Greg P

« on: 3 Feb 2003, 05:13 pm »
I have a Pioneer DV F-727 which is one built in 2000 that has the good burr brown DAC and I believe is a good transport like the DV-626?.  I am debating whether to just get an outboard DAC like a SMART DIO or Scott Nixon, or have it modded by Stan Warren or Modwright.  My question is, do the MODs do anything other than mod the DAC where it would be worth it for me to get, or is that the only thing they do.  I am trying to get a Stan Warren mod but have had great pains in trying to get a hold of him for over a month.  I would prefer do just get a DAC for convenience, but would get the mod if it would mean greater performance.  What should I do?  Also this is one of the players that gets mods, but I just wanted to verify that it is one with a good transports, because it is a jukebox player.  Thanks!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:32 pm »
If you are in any type of rush whatsoever, don't use Stan's services.  His service are sooo cheap and soo good, that he has a very long line of folks waiting a long time for mods.

I don't know Dan/Modwright, but he seems to be the real deal...based on terrific comments here at Audio Circle.  Welcome, incidentally to AC!