Roku digital player plus headless Shuttle micro PC =

Brad

Just noticed that Roku has dropped the price on their Hidef video/audio network attached device from $499 to $299.   HD1000 is the model number (although the new SoundBridges look nice)

I found a Shuttle barebones PC for $169, add Athlon retail 2000+ CPU for $57.   I have an unused 80gb drive and a DVD burner new in the box.  Some memory laying around, too.   So, I'm into the PC pretty cheap.

I'm thinking about running the Shuttle 'headless' as essentially network-attached storage, driving the Roku.    I would store JPG images and WAV files on the Shuttle's hard drive, adding a 2nd drive if needed.
That would be the main use of the Shuttle.  It also has SPDIF out, so it could be a transport into my Sony AVD-C700ES as well.
If I needed to work directly on the OS, I can plug a keyboard/monitor/mouse into it.

It's amazing how far this market has come in a very short time.  
Most of the pc accessory manufacturers offer some type of streaming server.   I like the extra video definition of the ROKU - leverage the HDTV.....

www.rokulabs.com

Anyone used the Roku before?   Whaddya think?

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2004, 02:48 am »
I'm was wondering if you could stream in HD-WMV files.  You need a pretty fast CPU (that Athlon might do it though I would get a little bit more power) to do it but the video is amazing.  I can barely run the 1080p demos on my PC (2.8GHz P4 + 1GB Ram + 128MB Vid Card) but the 720p runs just fine.  

Here is the website for the demos.

They are large files and unless you just have an incredible system I would suggest going with the 720p.  Suggestions are 'Step into Liquid' and 'Coral Reef Adventure' to start off with.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2004, 12:33 pm »
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the tip.
I'll check into it before I buy anything.
I know the ROKU can play back HD video recorded to a hard drive.

I'll be streaming by 100mb full duplex connection, so it definitely makes sense to buy a newer/faster model of Shuttle + faster processor if it'll make a difference.

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2004, 03:11 am »
Update:

I went with a Small form factor Biostar 200VB - very nice looking case - excellent internal layout.   Found a deal on an AMD Athlon 2500+ (Barton core) and also a Radeon 9600XT video card.   200Gb S-ATA hard drive.
1 GB Micron RAM.  I found a combo floppy/flash mem card reader for the floppy slot.  I'm using the DVD burner for the optical drive.   Also found a good deal on a bluetooth keyboard mouse combo - 30 ft range.

I'm going with PhatPhreddy's recommendation on the J River software to start with.   The MusicLobby software looks great as an add-on later.

I still need to order the DVI-to-component video adapter for the Radeon.
The motherboard has built in firewire/USB and also SPDIF optical output.

Question:   In going through the settings for the built-in audio card, it looks like it only outputs at 48khz.    Am I better off going with a different USB or PCI sound card that has coax digital out and the ability to output at different frequencies. :?:  :?:

This will be into a digital input of my AVD-C700ES.
Primary function is transport only for audio.
I'll also be using it to display digital pics @ 1920x1080 onto the hdtv.

Later on, I'll probably try upconverting DVDs.

Any ideas on the audio questions?   Definitely focused on using the PC as a 2 channel jukebox/transport.

tia

Brad in Houston

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2004, 09:27 pm »
Bump....

Now looking at the M-Audio revolution PCI card or one of the Terratec models.    The Terratec Phase 22 or Phase 26 look pretty nice, too - and include a phono stage for digitizing vinyl.

EchiDna

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2004, 11:24 pm »
Hi Brad,
I doubt there is much your little system can resolve between the terratec and the revolution....
the biggest problem with simple systems is the reclocking of the audio stream you encounter with the built in audio cards or anything in the creative line (well except their EMU pro audio cards that are getting rave reviews everywhere... for being as good or better than RME at 1/3 the price).

I have a revolution in my HTPC for the 7.1 sound and it is still quite capable for 2 channel, I use the coax digital out to my modified art DI/O dac and on to my preamp.... very nice indeed, but then it comes down to if you could/can hear the difference if you stepped up to an EMU or RME or Lynx card through your available system... if you can't, then the Revo would be my choice. 95+% of the others at 30% (or less) of the price, plus you can then also play around with using the system to play DVD's on your HDTV, with the wonderful scaling properties it has...and still have surround sound with bass managment software etc...

the phono in thing is a bit of a gimmick, you are better off using a dedicated phono pre....

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2004, 11:41 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I was already leaning towards the Revo - gotta have something to go into the coax digital in of the Sony  :wink:    Plus the price is reasonable.  Newegg has it for $93 shipped.

Have you experimented with the different sampling rates into your DAC?

I doubt I would transfer vinyl to digital unless I came across some one of a kind LP that I didn't want to wear out -  just thought it was cool of them to include it.

EchiDna

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2004, 02:35 pm »
i've played around a bit, but not much as this is my second system....
it is normally at standard redbook sampling rates but it can do 24/96 if I want to...

you can't go wrong with the revo to begin with, but be warned, the next step up will cost a lot more than $93!!  ;-)

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2004, 04:44 pm »
Just noticed this thread.  I really like the look of the Roku and it seems to have all the functionality I would need.  Quite a cool  product.  Maybe I will try something like this in my listening room wired to my office upstairs where I keep a storage array.