CORNET2 - is it possible ?

TigerScent

CORNET2 - is it possible ?
« on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:04 am »
I saw somewhere on this site, a chap built an octal cornet2 on some kind of blue marbled stone, all hard-wired together under some plastic covers...

I was wondering, if this also would be possible to do, using the current Cornet2 manual on the website-with all the information contained in it, and come up with some unique design outlay.

Does the downloadable manual come with all the info required to be able to do this?

TigerScent

Re: CORNET2 - is it possible ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:35 am »
...i guess its not encouraged...

jostber

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2011, 07:55 pm »
You have some different Cornet builds here, f.ex. in copper:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/66191-octal-hagerman-cornet-experiences.html

poty

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2011, 08:24 pm »
As far as you do this for yourself - you can do it almost freely. The manual has all the info about schematic and parts, but layout (if you don't use the original PCB) is yours. And you'll have only limited support if something is wrong.
I use even some future modifications, change schematis, use different parts...

TigerScent

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2011, 09:11 am »
As far as you do this for yourself - you can do it almost freely. The manual has all the info about schematic and parts, but layout (if you don't use the original PCB) is yours. And you'll have only limited support if something is wrong.
I use even some future modifications, change schematis, use different parts...

...its good to know that the online manual is complete and has all the information required...I think its worth building, its a well-regarded circuit.

...I am already getting parts together..., and it does all 'add-up'...

...my own idea/plan : ...I am planning on making 'block' sections on perf-boards, each covered with a metal shielded cover and shielded wire connecting them - sunk into earth - contained in a shielded case..., to ensure zero hum/interference etc...

...although I am rather new to tubes, from what I have read about them being prone to interference; and with common sense..., I think this will work well...
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011, 11:26 am by TigerScent »

TigerScent

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2011, 09:22 am »
You have some different Cornet builds here, f.ex. in copper:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/66191-octal-hagerman-cornet-experiences.html

...thanks..., actually that is the one I actually saw...
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011, 11:23 am by TigerScent »

jostber

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2011, 09:52 pm »
...its good to know that the online manual is complete and has all the information required...I think its worth building, its a well-regarded circuit.

...I am already getting parts together..., and it does all 'add-up'...

...my own idea/plan : ...I am planning on making 'block' sections on perf-boards, each covered with a metal shielded cover and shielded wire connecting them - sunk into earth - contained in a shielded case..., to ensure zero hum/interference etc...

...although I am rather new to tubes, from what I have read about them being prone to interference; and with common sense..., I think this will work well...

Cool, post your story when you start on this project.  :thumb:

TigerScent

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2011, 10:38 am »
Cool, post your story when you start on this project.  :thumb:

...still waiting for major parts...   8) , am looking forward to starting this project with anticipation...  :)

DeadFish

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2011, 11:20 am »
Jim makes nice kits.  Have fun while you are at it, because all too soon, it is over and then what?  :green:
Enjoy!

DeadFish

TigerScent

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:15 am »
Jim makes nice kits.  Have fun while you are at it, because all too soon, it is over and then what?  :green:
Enjoy!

DeadFish

...yes, Ill be focused on every moment of it..., makes for a good outcome too..., at present looking for a suitable case...

TigerScent

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2012, 11:01 am »
I got some super cheap Russian 12AX7's and am wondering what they will sound like. He has none left however, they were a once off.