Magnum dynalab md801

dirk

Magnum dynalab md801
« on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:04 am »
http://www.internetradiotuner.net/internet-radio-tuner-md801.htm

Is there any review of this new product ?
Did anyone hear it ?

What does it ?
Multiple Audio Sources: Access to over 20,000 Internet Radio stations and podcasts via on board WiFi antenna or LAN. Access to terrestrial FM, DAB/DAB+ (optional, where available), and locally connected music collections in a variety of formats (including AACs, Real, MP3s, FLAC and WMA).

Hicham

Re: Magnum dynalab md801
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 04:41 am »
Yes, indeed.

It is a fantastic and a very innovative audio component.
It is taping on the expectation that Audio reproduction will very soon depened on the cyber net as a main source, and also a storage.

The operating software has been worked out very well. The integration with my other components went very smooth. The sound is very satisfying.

Connection to an outboard DAC (Bel Canto in my case) produced another level or another quality.
I'm still happy to use the unit normal analogue output.
It provides access to 10000's of internet stations of all genres.
It also provides access to DAB & DAB+. Certainly, It does FM stations.
It is easy to integrate with one's PC or any other media storage.

The Magnum Dynalab MD 801 is very, very, elegant, Solid,  and of a futuristic design.
I'd say this component is first in the HiFi market to use the touch screen as the very operation tool. This goes  along the same modern trend with Smart Phones and Pads. 
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2011, 09:01 am by Hicham »

dirk

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2012, 11:06 pm »
How fast/slow is he, when reading from usb ?
Can you acces a network harddisk ?
192khz, is the maximum ? Or is hd audio possible ?
Can you post a real picture ?

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:08 am »
192khz, is the maximum ? Or is hd audio possible ?

What do you consider "HD Audio"?

Steve

dirk

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:10 am »

What do you consider "HD Audio"?

Steve
+ 192 khz / + 24bit
In the first place; is 24bit, 192khz possible ?
What kind of tuner has the md801 ? (md90 ?)
@ hicham: did you compare it to the bryston player...
Here in Belgium, they have no information, or demo.... pff
This i got from magnum dynalab:
1   the DAC in the  MD 801 is a 16 bit DAC , if you want 24/192  you need to get a MD 806 with the special DAC that we use in the MD 807 and MD 809
2   not sure what spotify is
3   the tuner section is at the same level as the MD 100
4   the remote is standard , if you want a remote with a touch screen ( available in two months ) it will be optional
5   DAB is standard as is DAB +
6   Silver is available now
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2012, 07:40 am by dirk »

dirk

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2012, 07:33 am »

I found a review:
Magnum Dynalab MD-801
Internet Media Tuner. I ordered this unit without DAC and Audio Stage, I'm using the built-in DAC and tube audio stage on MD 109.For cables, I'm using Coincident Extreme power cord and Extreme Shotgun digital coaxial cable, connecting MD 801 to input of MD 109.

At 128kbits/sec, it's very good and enjoyable....at 256kbits/sec, it's almost indistinguishable to Analogue...so close, yet Analogue FM is still the best, in audiophile terms, more harmonically complete and most natural. If you have a higher quality DAC like Esoteric D05, you might achieve a better sound, and possibly eliminating the Analogue FM tube audio stage? This simply and completely smokes the SqueezeBox touch! Magnum Dynalab has poured in their best into their new line of internet media tuners, it took 2 years from planning to production. If you're frustrated like me, with the limited good sounding FM stations and looking for alternatives to traditional FM tuners yet not ready to sacrifice the analogue FM music that glues you to the chair...this internet media tuner might be your answer. It is not just an internet radio, it also includes features like DAB, FM antenna input, E-thernet/Wireless network input, and USB input for your playing back of computer FLAC files from your hard drive if you so desired. It's become an iPhone of the audiophile...versatile yet serious enough for demanding audiophiles. I'm a fan of classical and Jazz, in the internet radio world, it has almost limitless stations for you to indulge, and keeping you busy scrutinizing and browsing so many stations...wondering if it's possible to exhaust listening to all the stations in our life time! I think i'll shelve my next upgrade for a while....let's enjoy the music first!

srb

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2012, 08:07 am »
Quote from: Mangnum Dynalab
1. the DAC in the MD 801 is a 16 bit DAC , if you want 24/192 you need to get a MD 806 with the special DAC that we use in the MD 807 and MD 809

I am surprised to find out that it only has a 16-bit DAC.  I wrongly assumed any 2011 component that could stream locally stored files and cost more than $300 would have a 24/96 DAC as a minimum.

Steve

dirk

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2012, 08:10 am »
I am surprised to find out that it only has a 16-bit DAC.  I wrongly assumed any 2011 component that could stream locally stored files and cost more than $300 would have a 24/96 DAC as a minimum.

Steve
The dac is optional, you can use you're own dac...  What i prefere...
I hope it is a good dac the use at MD... It will still be better then a bad 24/96. I think.
They have to make a difference between the lower and the top-model...
Ik think the md801 with audio-upgrade and external dac sounds the same/better as the top-model... But this has a bigger touchscreen... and so we can go on.
For me is the 801+own dac the way to go... The audio-upgrade is for analog only...(tubes, and xlr)

srb

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2012, 08:18 am »
The dac is optional, you can use you're own dac...  What i prefere...
I hope it is a good dac the use at MD... It will still be better then a bad 24/96. I think.

You're probably right about that.  I have not heard anything about Magnum Dynalab DACs.  I thought I had read that previous amplifier designs were using Simaudio supplied engineering.  Does anyone know if that's correct?  If so, they may also be sourcing DAC technology from them.

Steve

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:03 pm »
the simaudio fm tuna is based on the m-d tunas, and the m-d receivers are based on the simaudio integrated amps.  i'd be surprised if there wasn't collaboration w/simaudio  on the dac. 

products like this are wery interesting to me, but i wish someone other than m-d would do it, as their tuna are extremely over-rated.  never heard much about the the md109, but there's literally dozens of wintage tuna <$500 - some less than $100 - that are as good or better than the md108.  and their entry-level tuna is in the bottom 10% of about 100 different tuna i have had in my rig over the years.  i want one of these, but w/a better analog tuna inside...

ymmv,

doug s.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2012, 07:26 pm »
The original MD receiver -MD 208 - and an integrated amp were supposedly co-developed with Simaudio.  It was probably a Simaudio integrated that was only modified to fit an MD tuner in it.

I don't think the current generation reveivers have a Simaudio connection.  At least nothing has been said about it, whereas MD stated it with the previous ones.