Odyssey Audio Lorelei or Kismet Floorstanding Speakers?

yramelims

Hello.  I'm very interested in learning more about the Odyssey Audio Lorelei and the Kismet full-range floorstanding speakers.  There's very little information on the Kismet speakers anywhere (that I could find).   I was wondering how they compare to the B&W Nautilus 803 or the newer (but recently retired) B&W 803S speakers.  Is there anywhere I could go to listen to these? 

stereo5

• Current System
Re: Odyssey Audio Lorelei or Kismet Floorstanding Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:01 pm »
If you live in the New England area, you can audition the Kismet Reference floorstanding speakers at my house.

kip_

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm »
If I'm not mistaken the only difference between the Lorelei and Kismet is the crossover?

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm »
Your location would be a helpful detail...

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2011, 03:22 am »
If I'm not mistaken the only difference between the Lorelei and Kismet is the crossover?

Yes, you are correct.  Much  better parts, and the coils are the biggest I have ever seen.  The crossover weighs almost 10 pounds.  lol
The speakers sound heavenly.

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:00 pm »
I own the Kismet speakers and they are far better than any B&W I've ever heard. What really impressed me beside the overall pleasant presentation of these speakers is that they sounded good no matter what genre of music I use. Rock, Classical, Techno, acoustic guitar, everything sounds great.

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:14 pm »
for whatever it's worth, I just finished listening to a piano / trumpet cd from some folks I know very well. I was there when the recording was made, so I kinda know what the sound should be like. The trumpet and flugehorn seem to lack as much presense as being there live. Why I don't know, but they are still very good. The piano is kick ass all the way. I listened to them thru a pair of Loreleis and being driven by mono's in the glass cieling configuration. The piano was so accurate that I could tell it was a Yamaha setting about eight feet in front of me at three in the morning! The trumpet was right, but was not as forward as I remember it being.
For me a Piano is about the hardest thing to seriously duplicate in a sound system, and the fellow playing was one of the best anywhere period. If the speakers got it right; that's a major plus in my vire point.

I think either speaker will do you well
gary

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2011, 07:47 pm »
Listening to Claude Sifferlin and Mark Buselli playing that duo only makes me wish I could go back in time to hear Claude play that same music over and over! The speakers did it right (or maybe the amps or who only knows what else), and I'm certain that Mark & Claude would like what they heard. Just listening to the tune "The Nearness Of You" almost brought tears to my eyes.
gary

yramelims

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
I'm in the Chicagoland area.  I'm very interested in auditioning Odyssey speakers.  I've been searching on the internet, and it seems like there are two Kismet speakers: monitors and floorstanders.  Is this correct?  Do any of you know the current prices for the Loreleis and the different Kismet speakers?

Also, if any of you have heard both speakers, what are the main benefits/improvements sonically (i.e. more detail, better soundstage, tighter bass, deeper bass, etc.)

I currently have B&W N805s, which I'm happy with, but I'm hoping the Loreleis or Kismets will be an improvement from those. 

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:35 pm »
I have never been a fan of the B&W speakers as I always thought the 800 series was too bright for my taste.  If you ever get out to Rhode Island, look me up.  You can listen to the Kismet floorstanders in my home with an Odyssey Stratos Extrme amp and an all tube preamp.  As I have tons of music, I probably have something you like, but if in doubt, bring some of your own cd's.

Bob

reillyzing

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2014, 06:59 am »
Hi,
 I hope someone can answer a few questions I have about the Kismet and Lorelei speakers. I'm just beginning (completely new to quality audio) to get serious about acquiring a nice stereo system and am very intrigued by Odyssey's products.

What advantages in sound quality do the Kismets have over the Lorelei speakers?
Does Odyssey still make the Kismet floorstanders? I don't see them offered on the web page.
How much do they retail for?

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2014, 11:58 am »
Hi,
 I hope someone can answer a few questions I have about the Kismet and Lorelei speakers. I'm just beginning (completely new to quality audio) to get serious about acquiring a nice stereo system and am very intrigued by Odyssey's products.

What advantages in sound quality do the Kismets have over the Lorelei speakers?
Does Odyssey still make the Kismet floorstanders? I don't see them offered on the web page.
How much do they retail for?

The Lorelei speakers are very nice, but the Kismet version takes it to another level. When I heard the Loreleis I thought they were very good, but when I heard the Kismets I bought them. The Kismets are so full and so smooth and without any listening fatigue at all. I followed Klaus' positioning advice and they are the easiest speakers to set up in my experience.

ajayrav

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:57 pm »
I think the new Kismet speakers (circa 2013 RMAF) also have upgraded drivers...  the woofers are Scanspeak sliced paper cone revelators and the tweeter is now beryllium.  I'm thinking about these as well and wonder 1. If they are available in piano black and 2. If I can get them with grills and 3. What the price is....

Ajay

pslate

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:00 pm »
Since you're in the Chicago area like me Axpona could be a great opportunity :thumb: The show last year was incredible, and I'm sure Klaus wouldn't miss an opportunity to hit a major show from Indiana. Don't have the money right now but the kismet monitors are most intriguing (famous last words).

erniek

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2014, 08:47 pm »
Does anyone know if Odyssey is going to be at Axpona. I am going and cannot find any vendor info about him being there.
I will also be checking out speakers for my Khartago/Tempest combo. Love to hear their speakers.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:22 pm »
someone explain th is to me..........

I see these small speakers  kismet with a tweeter and a small driver, and thats all !!

i see the polk audio rti A9 with 3 7 inch woofers, 2 mids and a tweeter, and I have always liked  the polk sound   how would these compare to thekismet speakers.

how good is only having such a small driver compliment, compared to the  12 driver Polk rti A9 pair...?????   i had the polk LS-90's and they were such a nice speaker to listen to, but have been looking for a nice pair to upgrade my old speakers, and i really cant justify spending so much for only a 6 inch driver and a tweeter, if my other choice is the polk rti A9 with 12 drivers for less $$

your thoughs are appreciated....... 

i look at those kismet monitors, and see nothing more than a bookshelf speaker on a stand...........

LOOK - i KNOW these scan speak stuff is good,..very good, I am just asking iin general why such a small bookshelf speaker would or would not be as good or better, worse than a speaker with much more drivers ? im not starting shit, just asking your thoughts....... as i know how anal everyone can get about questions......
As once I get my amps, I will be on the hunt for a damn fine pair of speakers for superlative sound, as i have my amps and speakers for LOUOD music, I am now starting my 2nd ( mid life crisis ) for a system ini another room for just " audio bliss at low to moderate/mildly loud music )

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:41 pm »
If you look at the cost of the drivers in the Kismet, I suspect you'd find that just the COST of the 2 woofs and 2 tweets are more than the RETAIL on the RTI A9s.  Figure 1/2 retail from dealer cost and then 50% markup from Polk to the dealer and you have 2 speakers, 12 drivers, cabinets, xovers, etc they've spent about $175 each for the A9. Maybe a bit more with slightly smaller margins, but not a lot.

Those tweeters are not cheap but they are certainly really sweet sounding.  Plus with all the gyrations you have to do to get 6 drivers to integrate the phase gets totally hosed.  And I'll guarantee you that a nice little 2 way with great drivers solid cabinets and a good xover will image FAR better than the A9s could ever think of doing.

If you get a chance, take a listen. They're better than the Loreli's and those are no slouch either.  Great value for the money in the right room.

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:45 pm »
I heard the Kismets at RMAF a couple of years ago, there were probably 100 different speaker designs, the Odyssey room was in the top 10, and that is including everything. I don't know if Polk was there. Don't be fooled by quantity over quality, the woofer and tweeter in the Kismets cost way more than all the drivers in the Polk.

But... if you like Polk, go for it. They look like great home theater speakers.

Wayne

Arcticdeth

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:10 pm »
i dont do home theatre, only music.

I currently use ( and dont laugh !! ) the Bic dv-84 and 64 towers respectively, as they have a VERY GOOD tweeter ( a nice very good quality Vifa ) i know the scanspeak is better, buut compared to  the cerwin vegas im using at times, those BIC's sound 5X better in the upper midrange and high freq, and a much better room filling sound, when I sit on the couch, and close my eyes...... there IS a speaker directly in front of me and thats nbo joke, while the speakers are about 10 feet away, about 10 feet apart. and the vegas, cant even compare.
i am happy with thise BIC's, and we will see how much improvement the odyssey amps can make to them, I may not even need new speakers, I will see........
nice speakers,  they are not even broken in yet, as they are still a bit bright, but have become better over the past few months while listening through the emotiva xpa 1 mono block's

i am NOT counting out the odyssey speakers, but the price is quite expensive for a redneck like me.

reillyzing

« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:49 am »
Are the Kismet floorstanders no longer being offered?