SongTowers vs. Definitive ST?

Deanster

SongTowers vs. Definitive ST?
« on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:18 am »
Hi all - Total newb to the Circle here, digging deep into research for my first pair of 'good' speakers.

I'm buying for almost 100% music listening, mixed rock/pop/classical/hiphop/acoustic/some opera. Destination is a 15x20 room with persian area rugs over hardwood, 8'3" ceilings, plaster/lath walls with a mix of bookcases, and smaller tables on the walls. Large windows with cellular blinds, poofy fabric couches. TV sound is through Sony Soundbar, which I don't want to complicate or have be any louder than it already is.  :D   

I'm expecting to choose a fairly simple but powerful amp based on the speakers I select - presumably a Yamaha, Marantz, or other mid-range brand. Source material will realistically be 90% 256kbps AAC/mp3 files off iPod/Mac. I have some stuff on FLAC/Apple Lossless, but I anticipate that the convenience of the iPod will win out in actual usage.

I've been auditioning speakers at the usual suspects - Magnolia, Fry's, etc. So far, everything they have has been lousy, with a couple exceptions. There was a pair of Polk LSi25's that didn't make me want to flee, and a pair of Klipsch RF-7 II's that seemed tolerable.

The first set of speakers I've heard that seemed like they'd actually be a winner was the Definitive ST's - and even the little brother STS wasn't bad.

There seems to be a fair amount of consensus in comparisons that the Songtowers outmatch the DefTech ST's, and at a substantially lower price. I haven't yet had the chance to audition Songtowers here in the Seattle area. I see refurb Definitive ST's for $2500, which is awfully close to my likely all-in cost from Salk. 

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts - how do the Songtowers match up with the ST's, with a special focus on whether the Songtowers would still be your choice at price parity? 

mathgeek97

Re: SongTowers vs. Definitive ST?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2011, 03:47 pm »
This is going back a few years...  I auditioned some (older version of) Def Tech's, which I really thought did nothing right at all.  Tolerable for home theater, but music wasn't acceptable to my ears.  The same dealer also showed me a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 100 (V2?) towers, which were significantly better all around.  Both were driven from the same equipment in the same room.  Of course, I'm making the (bad?) assumption that the dealer knew how to set up both pairs of towers.
The important lesson here is that I bought a pair of Salk HT2-TLs and am much happier than I would have been with anything I auditioned at my local audio stores (Please note that I only auditioned within my budget).  All Salks aim to be neutral and as detailed as possible.  And, as a bonus, they look like nice wooden furniture.
If you can find an audition near your location, that'd be the next step.  Also, talk to Jim and ask him lots of questions.
If you're looking to spend SongTower money, stay out of Magnolia's, Fry's, Best Buy, etc.
As for your source material... if you're going to buy nice speakers, you'll only be getting your money's worth when playing Apple Lossless (ALAC) off the Mac/iPod.  MP3s will sound better than you ever thought possible, but you're limiting yourself.  You might also look into playing though the optical output of the MAC (if included in your model) or an Apple Airport Express into the receiver and control it all with the Remote app on the iPod.  (And go hang out at the Apple Core circle here.)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2011, 04:13 pm »
What the geek said.

Songtowers will wipe the floor with anything you can purchase at BB and such for up to double the cost.  You know you were close to a bad decision when you were thinking "tolerable vs. intolerable."  It comes down to sound versus music.

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:16 pm »
I haven't yet had the chance to audition Songtowers here in the Seattle area.

I know there are a few folks in the Seattle area with SongTowers. If you ask Jim he will be able to hook you up with them. 8)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:21 pm »
I would give a listen to PSB Synchrony's.  They can be found online for good discounts.  They are a warmer sounding speaker with excellent bass and liquid midrange.  They have excellent air and imaging. Treble is laid back and non fatiguing.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:50 pm »
Deanster -  PM me if you are interested in the dome Song Towers, we can probably set something up.  8)  There are also folks in the area with the ribbon tweets, though I think those are all the LCY vs the new RAAL.

kessljo

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm »
Well, if you ever want to audition either the song towers or the HT2-TLs and you get over to the 'sunnyside' of the state, shoot me a pm as I am in Yakima.  I have the RAAL tweets on the Song towers

Jake

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:36 am »
Songtowers for sure! Great music, wonderful woodworking, great price.

Stick with the standard and excellent dome tweeters and apply the savings to set your electronics sights higher than the Yamahas or whatever of that ilk.

Be sure and call and talk to Jim Salk himself.  He won't set you wrong.

Frank Van Alstine

Deanster

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:12 am »
Thanks, all!

I ended up going with the Peachtree iNova as integrated DAC/Amp, since it seems tailor-made to manage digital audio from either my iMac or an iPod. I'm not looking forward to the process of re-ripping CD's into lossless formats, but at least my most-played stuff will need to be done. More problematic is iTunes-purchased tracks - most are 256kbps/44.1khz, which isn't terrible, but there's no option for higher-resolution tracks other than repurchasing in an HD format.

I also went with the refurb Definitive Mythos ST's, in part because they were available before Christmas, and I was able to audition them with the iNova (sounded wonderful), and the built-in small subs and relatively small cabinet make a super-convenient package for my office. The ST's are also both a bit more sensitive than the SongTowers, which seems positive with the 80Wpc power of the iNova. Downside - they're boring as hell to look at.  :green:

I'm a little sad to have passed on the SongTowers, but at the end of the day, I feel like I ended up with a near-optimal package for my needs - simple, streamlined, compact, and a lot of performance for the price.

I'm now actively avoiding listening to the SongTowers, lest I have such profound buyer's remorse that I need to buy those also.   :o

ajayrav

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:27 am »
I would hardly call aluminum enclosures with black granite bases 'boring as hell'...but to each his own.  I have a pair of Mythos STS in my bedroom rig and they are actually quite good and take up little space.  These do not sound like other Deftech speakers... a lot because of the non resonant metal cabinet. I have heard Salk speakers...and they DO sound wonderful and look gorgeous to boot.  That said, the Mythos worked well for me in my situation, and maybe will in yours as well.

fishinbob

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2011, 02:43 pm »
For that kind of money my good as new Songtowers could possibly have been yours, and in plenty of time for Christmas too. :xmas:

coke

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:24 pm »
Thanks, all!

I ended up going with the Peachtree iNova as integrated DAC/Amp, since it seems tailor-made to manage digital audio from either my iMac or an iPod. I'm not looking forward to the process of re-ripping CD's into lossless formats, but at least my most-played stuff will need to be done. More problematic is iTunes-purchased tracks - most are 256kbps/44.1khz, which isn't terrible, but there's no option for higher-resolution tracks other than repurchasing in an HD format.

I also went with the refurb Definitive Mythos ST's, in part because they were available before Christmas, and I was able to audition them with the iNova (sounded wonderful), and the built-in small subs and relatively small cabinet make a super-convenient package for my office. The ST's are also both a bit more sensitive than the SongTowers, which seems positive with the 80Wpc power of the iNova. Downside - they're boring as hell to look at.  :green:

I'm a little sad to have passed on the SongTowers, but at the end of the day, I feel like I ended up with a near-optimal package for my needs - simple, streamlined, compact, and a lot of performance for the price.

I'm now actively avoiding listening to the SongTowers, lest I have such profound buyer's remorse that I need to buy those also.   :o
Salk has a 30 day trial period. Order a pair and play them side by side with your other speakers.  If you don't like them, send them back.  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:49 pm »
Salk has a 30 day trial period. Order a pair and play them side by side with your other speakers.  If you don't like them, send them back.  :thumb:

This.  I have a feeling the Def Tech's would be returned. :)