Fonken Build Driver Suggestions Please

jparkhur

Fonken Build Driver Suggestions Please
« on: 12 Dec 2011, 03:58 pm »
Ok, next up, i think is a Fonken build.  (Dave... do you have any b-stocks left etc) I would like suggestions on drivers for this box.  I like my  Fostex 126en model from Dave at Planet 10 and have always liked the Canton tweeters, and don't mind a rise in the top end if it has one.

Three suggestions ( if there are that many)????

doorman

Re: Fonken Build Driver Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:33 pm »
I'm using the MarkAudio 10.2's (eNAbled) in a Mar-Ken enclosure, very satisfying.
Also built a pair of Mar-Ken's using the Chr-70 drivers. Surprisingly good for an inexpensive driver pair.
Good Luck!
don

chrisby

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:13 pm »
John -  absent access to FE127E (stock or otherwise), and if you're inclined to try another Fostex driver , also known to work well in this format of enclosure are the new FF125WK, and the less budget oriented FX120. 

Note that Dave's design goal with this format won't deliver the same performance in the lowest octaves with same weight class drivers that you're hearing with the FH3/126, and that the F-en enclosure volume and port dimensions are carefully tuned to each driver model's measured T/S parameters (in other words, drop in replacement of the 125WK in the drawing above won't give the smoothest results).

Further, as Don noted, there are other makes and models of FR drivers from 3-5" that have been proven to work well in the "prime" family - most notably Mark Audio CHR70, Alpair 7 & 10, CSS EL70.

Presumably Dave's net-bots will report back on this thread and you could look forward to a reply.

edit:   first suggestion is that regardless of driver choice - plywood (and if you have any other fabrication questions,  Dave knows a guy who's built a few)

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:57 pm »
I like the price point of the ff125wk fostex, anyone have good things to say.. I like the 225, but the lack of high end bothers me. 

Smiles for the 125 in a fonken... or other box...????

JP

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:09 am »
Somewhat out of date, but you'll get the idea... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/160747-fonken-style-box-nomenclature-what-those-names.html

A Fonken requires a Fostex driver (for the F). Generically they are officially called miniOnkens (or less officially, Fonken-style).

When Chris 1st coined the tern Fonken, we had no idea how widespread in application the basic concepts of this design would turn out, and what a struggle we'd have to name them all.

Each enclosure is very tightly tuned to the specific drivers that go into them, willy nilly driver substitution will not give the best results. The goal is not for maximum LF extention, but a finessed bottom end that does not sacrifice upperbass or any midrange. These recognize that for a true 10 octave speaker, help is needed and our recommedation there is to add a pair of helperWoofers. Also part of the philosophy is that in any speaker one should be able to enjoy the music while playing just the "midrange", in the current context meaning your pai rof miniOnken.

I am currently working thru the set of drawings for the FF125wk, a driver that is going to be right up with EL70eN & Alpair7.3eN in the 4" class. The boxes will have the same shell as the current deciSize boxes for the MarkAudios, so will be called dFonken125. They will come out of the gate with regular (medium build difficulty), CGR (Classic Golden Ratio -- easiest build), and the new Trapezoid variations (for those very comfortable with wood-working). The basic CGR plans will be published (free for diy use), the much more comprehebsive planset subscription will cost a nominal amount.

dave

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:43 pm »
Note re the trapezoid variants of this design (for whatever driver) - be wary of the casual attention to details that can creep in after building dozens of a familiar design;  my latest pair for Alpair7.3 ended up with driver a little off-centre - not a fault of errant CNC work - thankfully hidden by grilles.