OB/7 Center Channel (LS-C pics)

Nick77

OB/7 Center Channel (LS-C pics)
« on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:30 pm »
I sold off my Ref100 center channel that i have been using for several years. The plan was to build a N3s center to have the same drivers as the OB/7 for a better match.

But I have always longed for a beastly center to match the OB/7. I have been one of many pestering Danny for a monster center channel design and he finally gave way!  The OB/7 Center Channel Lives..... :thumb: :thumb: 
Okay some may know it as the LS-C.  8)

The adventure begins............

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2011, 04:11 pm by Nick77 »

Nick77

Re: OB/7 Center Channel (pics)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:30 pm »
The kit comes with everything except cabinet, cabinet plans are provided.

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2011, 02:58 pm by Nick77 »

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:30 pm »
Network layout compliments of Ruben, no need to re-invent the wheel. Thanks for the layout pics Reuben.

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2011, 11:44 am by Nick77 »

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:30 pm »
Got to do some mdf cutting...............

Infamious curious cat.  :green:

A little glue up and port action

Baffle in the works.

This thing stands almost 4 feet high.  :o

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2011, 03:35 pm by Nick77 »

HT cOz

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:37 pm »
Awesome. That is going to be killer.

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2011, 03:16 pm »
And of course the finished product!

Ahhhh just joshing, we all know and recogize Rubens work, i can only hope mine looks half as good.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2011, 11:46 am by Nick77 »

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2011, 03:49 pm »
The OB/7's were done in figured walnut but due to financial restraints I will just be doing the center in satin black for now. Hopefully come back and add walnut veneer to the baffle at some point.

HT cOz

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:03 pm »
I found painting to be way more difficult than wood veneer.  I know budgets get stretched but check this out http://shop.formwood.com/inventoryd.asp?item_no=3217A&CatId={90C6EC49-C771-4D14-9962-50F4CB342B81}

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2011, 06:40 pm »
Network layout compliments of Reuben, no need to re-invent the wheel. Thanks for the layout pics Reuben.

Hi Nick,

I have a picture of a new layout that gives you more room behind the driver. I'll post it here later this evening.

You are going to LOVE that center. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:15 am »
Hi Nick,

I have a picture of a new layout that gives you more room behind the driver. I'll post it here later this evening.

You are going to LOVE that center. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

Ruben, thanks I will hold off on crossover layout. I am really looking forward to hearing this beast. I have had issues of not being able to hear dialog and having to raise and lower volume forever. I am sure hoping the LS-C clears that up.

Got a few more cuts done today, I cant hardly get over its sheer size.........

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: OB/7 Center Channel (LS-C pics)
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:34 am »
Keith!

You've been busy my friend! Nice work.

Anand.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2011, 02:51 am »
Ruben, thanks I will hold off on crossover layout. I am really looking forward to hearing this beast. I have had issues of not being able to hear dialog and having to raise and lower volume forever. I am sure hoping the LS-C clears that up.

If it's in the movie you are going to hear it. This center reveals it all. :thumb:

If you get it built and decide it's not for you, I'll buy the kit from ya! :green:

Best,

Ruben

You can still tighten up the layout a bit to gain a little more room behind the driver, but it fit's well as shown.

Do not click on the image.

adamo

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm »
Hey guys, sorry ive been out of the loop for too long now. I got an OB7 kit sitting in my basement collecting dust ready to be built..18 months and counting now. Almost done building the house (1 more month) and will finally be able to start on these bad boys. I didn't remember seeing anything on the center channel or LS-C discussed above. Is there a kit for this avail? IF so where ?

Thanks a lot, look forward to getting gong on these!

Nick77

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2011, 11:22 am »
Hey guys, sorry ive been out of the loop for too long now. I got an OB7 kit sitting in my basement collecting dust ready to be built..18 months and counting now. Almost done building the house (1 more month) and will finally be able to start on these bad boys. I didn't remember seeing anything on the center channel or LS-C discussed above. Is there a kit for this avail? IF so where ?

Thanks a lot, look forward to getting gong on these!

The LS-C was designed for the line source speakers Danny designed (LS6&LS9). There isnt anything on the website yet. Here is the thread that talks about design and details.
It uses the same drivers as the OB/7 so should be equally as good a match for the OB/7 as it is for the LS series. Good luck with the build and welcome to the site!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91207.0

Nick77

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2011, 01:51 pm »
If it's in the movie you are going to hear it. This center reveals it all. :thumb:

If you get it built and decide it's not for you, I'll buy the kit from ya! :green:

Best,

Ruben

You can still tighten up the layout a bit to gain a little more room behind the driver, but it fit's well as shown.

Do not click on the image.

Danny, using this layout wouldnt it fit nicely behind the tweeter, am i missing anything.  :scratch:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:24 pm »
The braces behind the tweeter are spaced too close together to mount it in that section. I mount the XO behind the driver to the right of the tweeter. If you're a lefty you might find it easier to mount it to the left of the tweeter.

BTW, I just got your PM. I will send you some wiring pics tonight.

Best,

Ruben

Nick77

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:42 am »
Worked on the baffle a little, got several coats of simi gloss on. Might have to grab some gloss to increase the sheen a little more.

Got braces cut out and just need to cut a few more holes and router them. Should have this beast making music this weekend.

NeilT

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2011, 03:52 pm »
Looks great Keith, can't wait for the sound review.

Neil

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2011, 01:43 am »
Got the braces cut out and routered. Opppps blurrrrry license plate.........

Dry fit

Another coat, i can live with this.

Dry fit

Nick77

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm »
Finished some more work on cabinet, Robert i think i agree veneer is easier.  :duh:

Finished lining the cabinet with commerical tiles for resonance control, should be able to stuff cabinet tomorrow and give a listen, cant wait. I had forgotten just how much work is involved in a project like this.