Will a FM antenna work for digital tv

warnerwh

Will a FM antenna work for digital tv
« on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:14 am »
I have a large FM antenna on my roof and if possible would like to use it for the tv as I just learned I can get 30+ channels for free. If not I would appreciate recommendations for an antenna under 50.00. TIA

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Will a FM antenna work for digital tv
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:26 am »
You want a normal TV antenna.
UHF types work.

I do not think an FM antenna is ideal.
However, if it is a yagi design.. just check it out.
You  may be pleasantly suprised.
I view only over the air HDTV and love it.
I get 14 over the air channels I like, and another dozen I do not bother with.

Hard for me to get all the channels I like with one antenna position, due to the direct path being blocked by the way the building I live in is buiilt.  Ususally I can get all except one or two which blank out as the signal is marginal for those. (I just use a small indoor TERK antenna.)

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm »
Thank you for the info. I will run a line to the tv. My antenna is a FM only 8' yagi. We live on a small hill and have line of sight to the transmission towers about 10 miles away. Maybe switching from satellite to free tv won't cost us anything. :D

drjjpdc

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:08 pm »
Here's a cool and easy to understand web link to show you all the EMF bands.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ems2.html

As you can see the whole FM band is between VHF channels 6-7. That's why an FM antenna can't do all the TV channels. One last thing, I am assuming that you have a newer TV that can receive digital TV signals. If you don't you will still need a converter box.

John

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2011, 07:04 am »
Thanks John. I was aware of the bandwidth for FM and it is for a digital tv. Although a FM antenna is far from ideal for UHF it works fine under these conditions. It's just a 6' yagi I have, not 8' as I stated above.

drjjpdc

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2011, 02:28 pm »
Warner,

I learned all about antennas because we moved to South Jersey in the late 80's. In those days no real reasonably priced satellite stuff and my wife being a die hard NY Giants fan was stuck only watching the Eagles. If I did not find the antenna solution pointed to NYC, life could have been very miserable at the chateau every Sunday.

frank111

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2011, 02:53 pm »
 I purchased an RCA, multi-directional, digital flat amplified antenna, for around $30 last summer at a big box retailer for my Sony Bravia 32".  Played around with it( various corners of the living room), and receive 4 different PBS stations, the big 3 broadcasters, a weather channel, Fox, CW, a 24 hr minor independant movie channel, & 4 others. Its less than 2inches thick, & less than 12inches square. The model # is ANT14508.  Nothing better than free tv.

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2011, 05:34 pm »
I have one of those really large indoor Terk FM antennae, and it doesn't do squat when used on the TV.  I then purchased a Philips $20 digital antennae from Target, and it was a slight improvement but not much.  Then, I purchased one from Monoprice, and it is a major improvement over the other two.

At first, I thought "antennae made for digital TV" is as much of a marketing hype as "high speed HDMI cable" is.  But, I guess there is some technical merit to it.  Just need to find one that works though.