Amplifier and Pre-Amp Recommendations & Opinions

foghorn

Amplifier and Pre-Amp Recommendations & Opinions
« on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:28 pm »
I am currently in the process of evaluating some new electronics for my system to drive my VSA VR4 SR Mark II's that I purchased about three years ago.  I am hoping that the board members here will have some experience and/or educated opinions on the following combinations.

Audio Research DS450 Amp + Audio Research LS17 Pre-Amp
Bryston 4B SST2 Amp + Bryston BP6 Pre-Amp
Krell Evolution 2250e Amplifier (Krell does make make a Pre-Amp in my price range)

I like the idea of having the amp and pre-amp come from the same company in the hopes that there is some synergy when doing so.

My current set up includes a Krell KAV 250a Amp and an Audio Research LS3 Pre-Amp.  This rig has served me well, but I am getting the upgrade itch.

Thank you for any opinions.

Matt

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Amplifier and Pre-Amp Recommendations & Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:52 pm »
I used to own an LS3 pre and found that it wasn't as dynamic as some of the others I auditioned. 

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:08 am »
If you find that your current power amp is satisfactory in the bass, you may want to try biamping your speakers.  I have the VR5-Anni's and had been using a pair of Spectron Musician III Mk2 monoblocks full range which worked well as is.  I got a pair of Kronzillas and found the best solution, by a good margin, was to drive the bass modules with the Spectrons and the mid/tweeter modules with the Krons.  One advantage of biamping is that you don't need high power for the mid/tweeter module.  This opens up a lot of possibilities, like a SET tube amp which are available at a wide range of price points.  You may wonder about mating such dissimilar amps, but in my system the combo integrates very well with tremendous control and unlimited power for the woofers and that special SET detail and delicacy on the top.  You'll need a means of controlling the volume of one of the amps in each biamp pair, preferably the bass amp, so as not to mess with the signal to the mid/tweeter amp any more than necessary.  Other than that it's plug and play.  I don't use any high- or low-pass filters in front of either amp.  I could add a high-pass filter on top, but I haven't yet had the Krons run out of steam.  By the way, I'm using an ARC REF3 preamp.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:11 am »
Hey Kernel..how bout some pix? :thumb:

kernelbob

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:22 pm »
This is one of the Kronzilla's and the VR-5.  Note that I use desktop microphone stands to suspend the speaker cable.  I use velcro loops to hold the cable with the velcro loop then clamped by the mic stand.  Clamping the speaker cable directly degrades delicacies of detail.  I use a mayan lawn ornament (on damping pads) on top of the Krons to damp out low level resonances in the transformer covers.  I've been told Buddha's work well in that application also.  You can just see the corner of one of the Spectrons.  I find that a layer of shelf liner and an Ikea pillow cover with ziplock bags of cat litter dampen resonances in the case.  Sorry it's ugly, but the amps are great.  I didn't know company was going to be viewing my system.  I happen to be borrowing a digital camera for the weekend.  I've been meaning to get one for a long time...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:43 pm »
Very nice system kernelbob. After hearing the Kron recently, I can imagine what your system must sound like. Enjoy :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:07 pm »
It appears that you have adjusted the feet on you M/T unit such that the front is higher than the rear.  Is that true and if so, what is the benefit?  I would have thought raising the rear would be more preferred.

kernelbob

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:33 pm »
You've got a sharp eye ES347.  Yes, the front supports of the mid/tweeter module are extended about 1/16" versus the rear supports.  I used a bubble level to check the level of the bottom of the mid/tweeter cabinet and found that my floor at that point isn't quite level, so I adjusted the supports tobring it back to level.  I wanted to avoid inadvertantly deviating from the design goal of the mid/tweeter baffle angle.  It was easier to adjust the upper cabinet than the bass cabinet.  The photo also exagerates the difference due to the front of the speaker being near the edge of the photo.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:59 pm »
Hello Bob,

Great picture!

Also I know what a nice sound you have to enjoy the music.
I will try the Herbie's at the same place as you showed in the picture.

Regards,

Cor

kernelbob

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm »
Hi Cor,
I positioned the damping devices on the T1610 tubes where I thought it was logical.  Mainly, I tried to avoid having them near the bulk of black plate area.  I haven't done any serious investigation of alternate positions-- they made such an improvement where they are, I was a happy camper.  Please keep the Circle updated with your investigation of positioning these.