It's winter, so the chili is a cookin.

milford3

It's winter, so the chili is a cookin.
« on: 10 Dec 2011, 06:01 pm »
I love my chili.  I made it late this morning and finished it off by pouring in a dark beer and dry red wine.  My girl friend obsereved this and thought I was nuts to add beer and wine.  Am I the only one to add beer and wine to their chili?

SoCalWJS

Re: It's winter, so the chili is a cookin.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:40 pm »
Nope. I add beer all the time, and I've tried wine a couple of times.

Just have never done both in the same batch....... :green:

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:03 pm »

It's almost done. 

StereoNut

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:27 pm »
Beer, yes!  Never tried wine.

FWIW - Here's my recipe...

Ingredients:
      1 Large yellow or Spanish onion, skinned & diced up
      2 Cloves (not heads!) of garlic; peeled & minced (or crushed through a garlic press)
   1-2 Poblano Chili Peppers; split, seeded and then chopped
   1-2 Chipotle* or Jalapeno peppers; split, seeded and then chopped
            * Note: Chipotle's have a better flavor (not just heat) if you can find them.

1 Sweet red, yellow or orange pepper; seeded and then chopped
    3-4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
    3-4 lbs. of Ground beef
       1 large (28 oz.) can of crushed or diced tomatoes
       1 small (6 oz.?) can of tomato sauce
       1 small can of tomato paste
       2 Tablespoons of Ketchup (secret ingredient!)
    2-3 cans of Red Kidney or Black beans (whatever you prefer); drained
    1/2 bottle of dark beer (the chef can drink the other half!)
       2 Tablespoons of Chili powder (You can add more to taste. See note below.)
    1/2 Tablespoon of ground Cumin
          Paprika (See note below.)
          Black ground pepper; to taste
          Dried Red Pepper flakes or Cayenne Pepper; to taste
          Salt; to taste

Garnish:
       Grated sharp cheddar cheese
       Sour cream
       Fresh chopped Cilantro (It has a very strong taste, so just a little!)
       Hot Sauce (Franks, Tabasco, whatever brand you like.)

Cooking:
1. In a saute' or frying pan, cook the onions and all of the fresh peppers in the olive oil until soft.  Add the minced or crushed garlic after the onions and peppers are half way cooked, because it (garlic) will burn if it's sauteed too long. (*You want the onions & peppers to be tender, not crunchy - so, be patient!  Keep the stove on low heat, so the veggies cook, but nothing browns up too dark.  The onions should be translucent to golden - not darker!)  Once cooked, set off to the side.

2. In a LARGE pot, brown the ground beef.  Keep stirring until cooked 90% through, then drain off the extra oil rendered from the beef.  Lower the heat and return to stove top.  Dust the beef with the paprika, add in the 2 tablespoons of chili powder, the 1/2 tablespoon of Cumin, crushed/diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup and beer.  Stir until the tomato paste "melts" into the mix.  Now add the cooked onion and pepper mixture from the frying pan in step#1 and all of the beans.  Bring the heat up to almost a boil (not quite) and then lower heat to simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half; stirring occasionally.  (*Note: every half hour or so, taste it for seasoning.  Add more chili powder, salt, black, red and/or cayenne pepper as needed to your taste.)

3. If you like, you can cook the rice of your choice to serve with the chili.  Or make some garlic bread.

Serving:

Add a serving of rice into bowls, then ladle the chili over it.  Garnish with whatever toppings: grated sharp cheddar cheese, a spoonful or two of sour cream, a sprinkle of fresh chopped Cilantro & a few (if it's me, a lotta) splashes of Hot Sauce (Franks, Tabasco, etc...) to taste.

Don't forget a few cold beers to wash everything down!!!   ;-)

Enjoy!!!  :-)