AEX vs ATV

cody69

AEX vs ATV
« on: 10 Dec 2011, 01:31 pm »
Today I use a mini for archiving my iTunes music, connected directly to my audio gear in main listening room, and wireless streaming to systems in my den and shop using AEX. Recent posts in this forum have got me thinking if ATV is something to consider as I am planning adding another 'zone'.

My attraction to ATV is using iTunes match to eliminate the need to turn on the mini in the other room. And potentially I may want to use Netflix etc down the road with the system in the den. Operating headless is important to me for straight audio usage.

Given both units are the same price, does ATV give me the audio streaming capabilities I need and potentially other useful features over AEX?

Crimson

Re: AEX vs ATV
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:15 pm »
Given both units are the same price, does ATV give me the audio streaming capabilities I need and potentially other useful features over AEX?

Yes, and yes.  :D

Think of the AEx as a very stripped down version of the ATV, in terms of media retreiving.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:19 pm »
I have several Airport Express N units.  Although I do not own an Apple TV, there has been a bit written about the fact that the Gen 2 Apple TV resamples everything to 48KHz.  The previous Gen 1 Apple TV and both Airport Express (Gen 1 wireless "G" and Gen 2 wirelesss "N") do not resample 44.1KHz files.

Some report they do not hear a difference in systems with modest amplification and speakers.  Others say they do hear a difference, and some others just have a problem with the device mucking with what was a previously bit perfect translation of their 44.1KHz Redbook files.

Obviously the ATV adds video streaming capability, but if video streaming is not needed, some other differences that might prompt one to choose one over the other are:

1.  The Apple TV does not have an internal DAC whereas the Airport Express does.  If you are going into an external DAC or AVR anyway this won't matter, but if not, I find the AEX internal DAC to be more than acceptable for casual listening.

2.  The Airport Express can function as a wireless router and provide the connection to an Internet modem, albeit with the limitation of only one wired Ethernet LAN port and less range than the Airport Extreme router.

3.  The Airport Express can function as a wireless print server when connected to a USB printer.

Steve

cody69

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:55 pm »
Thanks, you've given me some good info. It sounds like ATV could work for my application... I was not certain if ATV could operate headless and handle the audio. And can I use Remote running in an iPod Touch and iPhone to control music selection on ATV using iTunes Match in the same manner I do today with the mini and AEx?

The Airport Express can function as a wireless router and provide the connection to an Internet modem, albeit with the limitation of only one wired Ethernet LAN port and less range than the Airport Extreme router.

Can an AEx be used to extend a wireless network *and* be used to stream audio at the same time... or are these capabilities not available simultaneously?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:19 pm »
Yes, the Airport Express can be configured as an extender to extend an existing wireless network and simultaneously stream music.

The Apple TV can be run headless and controlled by the Remote app just like the Airport Express, but will need an HDMI monitor or TV for initial setup and any subsequent reconfiguration of settings, whereas the Airport Express is setup and configured with the AirPort Utility software.

Steve

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:02 pm »
Yes, and yes.  :D

Think of the AEx as a very stripped down version of the ATV, in terms of media retreiving.

or to look at it another way,  think of the AExpress  as a simple wireless print server with basic music streaming capability and very mediocre built-in DAC - as Steve comments, acceptable for  casual listening, but much better with any of the budget Toslink black boxes available.

edit:

the new ATV is a silly good bargain - mainly intended I think to simplify consumption of free or paid media content ( i.e. streaming of revenue as well as content) music and photos, home movies etc from your libraries  - it's assumed that it'll be connected to an HDMI display either directly or via surround processing audio component

a piece of cake to control even multiple AirPlay  devices with Remote app on iPhone / iPod touch etc