LS9 REVIEW

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: LS9 REVIEW
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:53 am »
Nice looking room Skiman. I imagine the sweet spot is confined to the width of the center speaker as there would not be any dispersion to either side? How is the the vertical dispersion?

freerider

« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:59 am »
Considering the LS9 on its side is wider than the seating area, I'm guessing finding the sweet spot is not an issue.

What an epic theater room!  Awesome!

devste

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2011, 06:14 am »
Wonderful HT room Skiman.  I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it.  Great Job.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:18 pm »
Agreed 100%.

Thanks Larry. :)
No trouble at all. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:19 pm »
Just say when. :)
I have to hear these someday.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:05 pm »
^^^

Skiman. Very nice room!  :thumb:

Similar to what I'd like to do someday, with a screen that drops down in the plane of the speakers for HT, but the speakers are placed well into the room for good 2 channel performance.

Did you ever post anything on your HT build? Would you be willing to share some info? (did you DIY/hire a consultant/etc.) My wife and I are talking about doing an add on that would be a dedicated room and we're getting close, but trying to figure out where to start w/o blowing the budget on a $$$$$$ consultant.

Thanks.

mcallister

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:12 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong Skiman but didn't you used to have your Center LS9 standing? Could you not get it far enough into the room?

Skiman

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2011, 09:45 pm »
How is the center channel working out? I thought that because of the dispersion characteristics of the ribbons placing it horizontally wasn't ideal.

Placing it horizontially is certainly not ideal, but it performs fine given the limitations.

Nice looking room Skiman. I imagine the sweet spot is confined to the width of the center speaker as there would not be any dispersion to either side? How is the the vertical dispersion?

You must sit within the length, or width in this case, of the array. Vertical dispersion is fine, but it doesn't 'project' or fill the room when horizontal.
^^^

Skiman. Very nice room!  :thumb:

Similar to what I'd like to do someday, with a screen that drops down in the plane of the speakers for HT, but the speakers are placed well into the room for good 2 channel performance.

Did you ever post anything on your HT build? Would you be willing to share some info? (did you DIY/hire a consultant/etc.) My wife and I are talking about doing an add on that would be a dedicated room and we're getting close, but trying to figure out where to start w/o blowing the budget on a $$$$$$ consultant.

Thanks.

I haven't posted a detailed build, but I could write a book. It was built from Rives Audio plans, with the framing, drywall, and carpet contracted, and everything else DIY. Took about a year, although it's constantly evolving.  Send me a private message and we can talk more.

Correct me if I'm wrong Skiman but didn't you used to have your Center LS9 standing? Could you not get it far enough into the room?

When I first got the third LS9, I mounted it vertically for a few days to hear how it sounded. Nirvana, but the retractable screen prevents this location.

The room was originally designed around Definitive Technology speakers, before the LS9 existed. I had prepaid AV123 for a center (and other speakers) that never materialized. So I decided to get a third LS9, knowing AV123's future was dire at the time. Now that Danny has designed a dedicated LS center, I've ordered one from Ruben at Fallen Enclosures. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2011, 09:49 pm »
i received the piano black center two days ago.......my preliminary impressions are that the LSC matches great with the 9s......plus the built quality is superior......glad the hear the Line Series getting some love......

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:02 pm »
Looks like Hugh still needs to correct some data on his site.

Oops, that was probably my fault, as I copied that info from another site when I was setting up Hugh's.  :oops:   If anything else needs corrected just shoot me a message.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:03 pm »
Placing it horizontially is certainly not ideal, but it performs fine given the limitations.

You must sit within the length, or width in this case, of the array. Vertical dispersion is fine, but it doesn't 'project' or fill the room when horizontal.
I haven't posted a detailed build, but I could write a book. It was built from Rives Audio plans, with the framing, drywall, and carpet contracted, and everything else DIY. Took about a year, although it's constantly evolving. Send me a private message and we can talk more.

When I first got the third LS9, I mounted it vertically for a few days to hear how it sounded. Nirvana, but the retractable screen prevents this location.

The room was originally designed around Definitive Technology speakers, before the LS9 existed. I had prepaid AV123 for a center (and other speakers) that never materialized. So I decided to get a third LS9, knowing AV123's future was dire at the time. Now that Danny has designed a dedicated LS center, I've ordered one from Ruben at Fallen Enclosures.
PM Sent! :green:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:04 pm »
Oops, that was probably my fault, as I copied that info from another site when I was setting up Hugh's.  :oops:   If anything else needs corrected just shoot me a message.

Your a web master too?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:31 pm »
Very nice room indeed.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:51 pm »
Your a web master too?

I wouldn't say "master."  It's a wysiwyg build-your-own site thing.  I only know very basic code.