LS9 REVIEW

AUDFILE74

LarryB

Re: LS9 REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:49 pm »
I knew the review was about to be published, but couldn't speak about it publically.  Congratulations to Danny and Hugh!

Larry Borden
Executive Editor, dagogo

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:16 pm »
In audio, it's common for reviewers to hear a bit differently, perhaps as they focus on slightly different things.  But with the LS9s, there is definitely a common theme.  Anyone would be hard pressed to find a speaker that does large works better.  The dynamics, complexity, and ambience of symphonic music as performed in a symphony hall is captured with a reality that has very few peers at any price range.  The rebirth of these speakers from the ashes of AV123 is good news for fans of classical music (well, any music really).
Congrats to Hugh and Danny for bringing a fine product to the listening rooms (large ones anyway) of us fans of dynamics and spaciousness. 

Scott

cedman1

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm »
In audio, it's common for reviewers to hear a bit differently, perhaps as they focus on slightly different things.  But with the LS9s, there is definitely a common theme.  Anyone would be hard pressed to find a speaker that does large works better.  The dynamics, complexity, and ambience of symphonic music as performed in a symphony hall is captured with a reality that has very few peers at any price range.  The rebirth of these speakers from the ashes of AV123 is good news for fans of classical music (well, any music really).
Congrats to Hugh and Danny for bringing a fine product to the listening rooms (large ones anyway) of us fans of dynamics and spaciousness. 

Scott

Agreed   :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:27 am »
I have to hear these someday.

Skiman

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:29 am »
As an owner of LS9s, I pretty much agree with his review, although I certainly haven't had the opportunity to try out all the amp choices suggested. I have heard them at RMAF driven by some pretty high end amps, but the acoustics weren't as good as my Rives designed room. While the reviewer insists that separate subs are not needed with LS9s, I have four Chase SS 18.1s in my system. This is really only useful for movie soundtracks' explosions and such.

A small suggestion-I think Danny meant 'unaffected' not 'uneffected' in the comments section.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:42 am »
As an owner of LS9s, I pretty much agree with his review, although I certainly haven't had the opportunity to try out all the amp choices suggested. I have heard them at RMAF driven by some pretty high end amps, but the acoustics weren't as good as my Rives designed room. While the reviewer insists that separate subs are not needed with LS9s, I have four Chase SS 18.1s in my system. This is really only useful for movie soundtracks' explosions and such.

A small suggestion-I think Danny meant 'unaffected' not 'uneffected' in the comments section.

It would be great if you could post a pic of your room, your LS9's and your subs some time. Sounds like a winner!  :thumb:

Anand.

Jerrin

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:10 am »
I really don't think there is a better overall speaker for less than 20K.    :thumb:

I didn't hear anything at Axpona that sounded as good to me as the 9's.  Not even the 100K speaker set that looked like refrigerators.  Nothing had the raw power, but finesse, that these have.

I liked them so much, I bought multiples.   lol

shadowlight

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:48 am »
Congratulation Hugh and Danny.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:10 pm »
Congratulations on the great review!  :D

LarryB

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:54 pm »
Danny, which of your other speakers use the M165X Woofers?

Thanks,

Larry

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:14 pm »

Thanks,

Larry
The Neo2x

LarryB

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:30 pm »
Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2011, 04:32 pm »

Thanks,

Larry

Right now the N2X is the only kit that I have that uses the M-165X woofers.

The LS series uses a completely different woofer.

LarryB

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:20 pm »
Danny:

I'm confused; this is from Hugh's website:

SpecificationsTweeter   9 Customized BG Neo 8 planar magnetic tweeters
Woofer   12 Customized 6.5" GR-Research M-165X drivers
Frequency Response   20Hz - 20KHz (+/- 3dB)
Crossover Point   850Hz
Nominal Impedance   8 Ohms
Efficiency   93 dB 1w/1m
Dimensions   (W x H x D): 12.375" x 80.875" x 20.5"
Net Weight   190 lbs. each

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:24 pm »
Looks like Hugh still needs to correct some data on his site.

LarryB

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:49 pm »
Sorry if I caused trouble.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:28 pm »
Sorry if I caused trouble.

No trouble at all. Thanks for pointing that out.

Skiman

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:24 am »
It would be great if you could post a pic of your room, your LS9's and your subs some time. Sounds like a winner!  :thumb:

Anand.

Click on 'Gallery' and then 'S' for Skiman. I've uploaded some new pictures. I also created a Systems description under 'Skiman's Home Theater' but was unable to add pictures.

kip_

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:46 am »
Click on 'Gallery' and then 'S' for Skiman. I've uploaded some new pictures. I also created a Systems description under 'Skiman's Home Theater' but was unable to add pictures.

How is the center channel working out? I thought that because of the dispersion characteristics of the ribbons placing it horizontally wasn't ideal.