Friend wants LOUD speakers to replace Cerwin Vegas

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
He's thinking about sticking with CV speakers, the XLS15. Likes to really crank it up loud.  Just put together a pair of Class D Audio CDA-254 amp kits running mono for mondo power. Uses a Harman Kardon ht receiver as a preamp. Obviously not opposed to DIY. Budget $1000. 

Asked for my suggestions, first thought of other things to consider:

- 4pi (efficient, high power handling high spls)
- Klipsch
- ed[c]12 from elemental designs (seem similar to Pi speakers)

I'm sure there are others... Suggestions?

trackball02

Re: Friend wants LOUD speakers to replace Cerwin Vegas
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:16 am »
http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html

I have personally have not heard this model, but it has great reviews and a good value.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2011, 02:28 pm »
Legacy Audio speakers will play very loud and with a sensitivity of 95.4 dB he won't need monster amps either.

Oops, just noticed the budget, time to max out the credit card.

Wayne

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:29 pm »
If the main goal is LOUD, why change from CV?  I assume he's looking for a little better SQ?  I also assume he's more comfortable with mainstream products than the boutique brands which I'm sure others here will better at suggesting.  Therefore....

For mostly loud, somewhat better SQ, the JBL L880 @ 91db sensitivity:
http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=L880CH-H

Better SQ, but will still play loud, PSB Image T-6 @ 90db sensitivity:
http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/110707104017-PSB_Image_Series_English_Specifications.pdf

Not as loud, but the best SQ, the Polk RTI A7 @ 89db sensitivity:
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rtia/index.php?s=rtia7

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:42 pm »
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=556

Might want to touch base with Scott F here on AC.  Not sure on the price but pretty sure they're for sale.

Loud?  Oh yeah.  Efficient?  Yup.

Shipping could be an issue though pending where your friend is...  They're beasts.

Bryan

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:21 pm »
If the main goal is LOUD, why change from CV?  I assume he's looking for a little better SQ?  I also assume he's more comfortable with mainstream products than the boutique brands which I'm sure others here will better at suggesting.

Yeah, that's kind of my feeling as well... I think he'll end up going with the CVs based on power handling alone. Definitely more comfortable and familiar with the mainstream products, though mostly out of no exposure to other options available.  I got him connected with the Class D Audio amps, so he asked what I thought about speakers as well.  Thanks for the suggestions, those are good ones I'll pass on.  Forgot about the PSBs, though I hooked another friend up with a pair of those several years ago and he loves them.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:26 pm »
http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html

I have personally have not heard this model, but it has great reviews and a good value.

Legacy Audio speakers will play very loud and with a sensitivity of 95.4 dB he won't need monster amps either.

Two more that have moved off my radar... thanks for the suggestions. I've owned both brands in the past, though the Tektons were little Fostex single-driver monitors.  Had a pair of Legacy Signature III for several years biamped with a couple Counterpoint SA-100 hybrid amps... your're right, those can play seriously loud, are efficient and sound great, though just a bit too pricey for my friend.

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:31 pm »
Why change? The CV speakers of old had lots of bump to their bass. If he likes that sound, stick with it.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:23 pm »
Why change? The CV speakers of old had lots of bump to their bass. If he likes that sound, stick with it.

Because krikor doesn't want to go over to his friend's house and listen to crappy speakers!!! That's why we're all here on AC. Right????

Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:52 pm »
You have a point. Maybe he can ask the guy if they can just talk. If the guy likes the big bump bloated sound he sure is not going to take to a decent audiophile speaker. :D

decal

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 09:11 pm »
I bet these are pretty freakin' loud!!!!!!!

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:53 pm »
You have a point. Maybe he can ask the guy if they can just talk. If the guy likes the big bump bloated sound he sure is not going to take to a decent audiophile speaker. :D

Oh, we talk, but just have very different tastes and approaches to how we listen.  I'm a farfield, dedicated two-channel, no video, Magnepan guy and he's a nearfield (by necessity), surround sound HT,  blow yer hair back fan.  My system doesn't really float his boat. I'll probably recommend he stick with the CVs since he digs them... and that's what really matters after all... but since he asked I figured I'd at least give him my two-cents and a few other options to consider.

Because krikor doesn't want to go over to his friend's house and listen to crappy speakers!!! That's why we're all here on AC. Right????

Not sure it matters what speakers they are... it's all just too loud for me for any extended period of time. We're talking about a tiny room (maybe 8x12) with CV mains in a 7.1 surround system along the long wall so you're sitting like 6 feet from them as they are driven by a pair mono amps capable of 500watts into 8 ohms!   :o

I bet these are pretty freakin' loud!!!!!!!

That'll work if the sofa fits in the mouth!   :thumb:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:06 pm »
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=556

Might want to touch base with Scott F here on AC.  Not sure on the price but pretty sure they're for sale.

Loud?  Oh yeah.  Efficient?  Yup.

Shipping could be an issue though pending where your friend is...  They're beasts.

Bryan

The Cornzilla's are for sale?  :peek:

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:36 am »
If he likes the bass bump, ask him to consider 2.1. He can adjust the bass to his liking.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:47 am »

These need to be time-aligned, like these:

This is from the Oris website - showroom. The owner says:
"Overall the sound is natural, crystal clear, detailed – and dynamic. I can play very loud without the slightest hint of compression or distortion. However, the system sounds great at low volumes too. Contrary to what I experience with the JBL’s, I don’t have to turn up the volume on the Oris horns in order to make the speakers ‘open up’. The details are there right from the beginning.

The integration between the two horns is seamless – at least to me. This might be partly because of the low crossover point, and partly because the two horns are completely time-aligned. Finally, I can’t help saying that having bass horns, which is new for me, have made dramatic changes in the reproduction of bass in my home. Especially with the eAR Two power amp on the bass horns, I now have a truly scaring ‘punch’ in the bass when it’s called for!"

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:39 am »
The Cornzilla's are for sale?  :peek:

Yep, the KoRnZillas need a new home.

If LOUD is what your looking for, these fit the bill.

edit...forgot to mention, they are north of 100db efficient. My little 2a3 amp will send these into ear bleed territory.

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:32 pm »
Scott,

That sure brings up old memories. I bought a pair of Cornwalls in high school with my brother. How are these different from regular ones? Is there a new crossover or are they just larger cabinets?

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:52 am »
Hi charmerci,

Besides having HUGE cabinets (these are close to 10 cu ft), I've replaced the factory XO with the Bob Crites XO. It made a really nice improvement in clarity. I also de-screened the squawker. That really cleaned up midrange too.

The one thing this pair needs is for me to install a pot on the squawker, that or at least pad it down with a resistor. After I do that, I may need to do the same thing to the tweeter. This pair is fairly forward. This particular pair is fairly early. They have the Fraizer woofers, K600 mid and a pair of T35 tweets. Guessing, These are early to mid-60s vintage.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2011, 01:57 pm by Scott F. »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2011, 05:00 am »
I suggest a used Klipsch RF83, unfortunately it is out of the line, it was the bigger value in the Klipsch line in many years, very better than the expensive 3ways Palladium line.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:45 pm »
Scott,

If you put Plasti-clay (or any non-drying clay) on the outside of the midrange horn, that should help a lot.

charlie