LS6 grills

mms3

LS6 grills
« on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm »
I bought some LS6 cabinets from AV123 before they closed.  They've been packed up for a while now, but I just got my kit from Danny.  I just noticed that I have 2 right side grills.  There is a notch in the cross brace to fit over the woofer line, so they're not interchangeable.

I hoping that someone out there has the matching left side, and would like to trade with me.  Or maybe you don't use your grills, and want to sell them?

HT cOz

Re: LS6 grills
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2011, 02:54 pm »
Do you know if rotating the grill will help?

mojave

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2011, 03:31 pm »
Do you know if rotating the grill will help?
You can't rotate them or remove the fabric and flip them over due to the way the round overs are done and the differing distance from the bottom and top to the drivers.

I just looked at mine and I have the correct ones. Maybe Hugh could get you one.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:01 pm »
Ouch.  I have 2 av123 LS6 cabinets that I haven't opened yet.  I plan on doing so after a remodel (makes room for the LS6).  Maybe I should at least open them and check.

Are yours the SA or the China cabinets?

mms3

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:45 pm »
You can't rotate them or remove the fabric and flip them over due to the way the round overs are done and the differing distance from the bottom and top to the drivers.

I just looked at mine and I have the correct ones. Maybe Hugh could get you one.

That's right, they only go on one way.  If I can't find another one somewhere, I might have to make a jig and take a router to one of them.  I'd like to avoid that, though, since I'm sure getting MDF dust out of the grill cloth won't be a fun process.

mms3

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:46 pm »
Ouch.  I have 2 av123 LS6 cabinets that I haven't opened yet.  I plan on doing so after a remodel (makes room for the LS6).  Maybe I should at least open them and check.

Are yours the SA or the China cabinets?

The boxes say Cali, Columbia.  What is SA?

LarryB

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:47 pm »
South America.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2011, 07:36 pm »
Probably a longshot, but give Sandbagger a yell.

http://www.motorcitycustomaudio.com/

or alternatively at Seaton's Forum

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/?forum=154357

mms3

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:45 pm »
So, here's what I did in case anyone else has the same problem...

Made a jig from scrap MDF.  I wrapped the grill as much as possible to minimize the cleanup effort.

After going over it with a straight cut bit

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2011, 06:55 pm »
Another person to contact would be Hugh at ACA.  He is building LS-6 cabinets and speakers for Danny's kit.

Just a thought.