Onix X CS vs. X-CS Encore

freerider

Onix X CS vs. X-CS Encore
« on: 6 Dec 2011, 05:42 pm »
Does anyone know the difference between the AV123 Onix X CS vs. X-CS Encore kit?

Danny Richie

Re: Onix X CS vs. X-CS Encore
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:03 pm »
Does anyone know the difference between the AV123 Onix X CS vs. X-CS Encore kit?

A name used by AV123.

freerider

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:17 pm »
I bought an Onix X CS off Craigslist today.  It looks like it has the X-LS tweeter, rather than the Encore version.  Bummer, I was hoping it would be the nicer tweeter.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:29 pm »
I bought an Onix X CS off Craigslist today.  It looks like it has the X-LS tweeter, rather than the Encore version.  Bummer, I was hoping it would be the nicer tweeter.

I have some Encore tweeters with the classic face plates. You'd need that and the crossover for the Encore version and you'd have an Encore.

mojave

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:49 pm »
I have an X-CS Encore crossover you can have cheap (PM me). It is left over from an upgrade to a Skiing Ninja Master crossover.

freerider

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2011, 08:56 pm »
Thanks.  I'll have to consider this.  I purchased the Onix as a temporary center channel.  I am replacing all my Polk speakers with GR Research designs.  I have LS6's for mains, and x-Omnis on order for rears.  Next year, I'll build an custom N3S to match the LS6's as a center channel.  But for now, this Onix was just a temporary standin so I could sell my Polks as a complete 5.0 system.

I'll give the center channel a listen first and see if I need to upgrade to Encore.

freerider

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm »
I have some Encore tweeters with the classic face plates. You'd need that and the crossover for the Encore version and you'd have an Encore.

Does the Encore tweeter with the classic face plate, look the same as the X-LS version?  Maybe I have an Encore and don't know it??

Is the classic face plate flat, like the X-LS tweeter, or does it curve into the dome, like in the X-Omni pictures?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2011, 10:23 pm »
Does the Encore tweeter with the classic face plate, look the same as the X-LS version?  Maybe I have an Encore and don't know it??

It looks like a standard Encore tweeter with a face plate extension around the outside of it. None of the speakers ever came with them. They were ordered later just for upgrades.

freerider

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2011, 06:09 pm »
It looks like a standard Encore tweeter with a face plate extension around the outside of it. None of the speakers ever came with them. They were ordered later just for upgrades.

Danny,
Sorry, I can't visualize what a 'face plate extension' looks like.  Will the Encore tweeter look like this X-Omni picture, and will it be a drop in replacement (no routering required)?

Perhaps you are saying that the Encore is smaller, and needs the extension to fill up the hole a standard X-LS tweeter makes?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2011, 06:22 pm »
I'll try and post a pic of the tweeter later today.

Danny

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm »
Encore tweeter with larger face plate to make it fit the hole of the classic tweeter. 

freerider

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm »
Thanks Danny!  I'll likely be ordering one of those from you soon.  Too bad the X-Omni's already shipped, or it could have been tossed in one of those boxes.

freerider

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:24 pm »
I did a quick comparison test between the Onix X CS, and my old Polk CSi3 center.  Of course the Polk was as bright and harsh as always in the high freq range, but it had considerable more clean, punchy bass than the Onix.

In fact, the Onix sounded muddy, or muddled.  Now it's not an entirely fair comparison, since the Polk has 3 ports, so I assume this helps get more perceived dB in the low end, but it shouldn't give it an advantage with bass clarity.  The Onix had no "punch" by comparison.

I was wondering if the X-CS Encore crossover would help with this?

I was just using a Harmon Kardon receiver in my garage for the comparison, switching back and forth between speakers.  No other speakers were connected.  Perhaps the Onix needs a better amp to drive it?  It did require a bit more volume to reach the same levels.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm »
I did a quick comparison test between the Onix X CS, and my old Polk CSi3 center.  Of course the Polk was as bright and harsh as always in the high freq range, but it had considerable more clean, punchy bass than the Onix.

In fact, the Onix sounded muddy, or muddled.  Now it's not an entirely fair comparison, since the Polk has 3 ports, so I assume this helps get more perceived dB in the low end, but it shouldn't give it an advantage with bass clarity.  The Onix had no "punch" by comparison.

I was wondering if the X-CS Encore crossover would help with this?

I was just using a Harmon Kardon receiver in my garage for the comparison, switching back and forth between speakers.  No other speakers were connected.  Perhaps the Onix needs a better amp to drive it?  It did require a bit more volume to reach the same levels.

The X-CS is a sealed box, and used as a center channel. It is not designed to play down low.