Best email program for Mac?

JohnR

Best email program for Mac?
« on: 6 Dec 2011, 10:02 am »
I'm a bit tired of both Thunderbird and Apple Mail. Does anyone have a "must try" suggestion for an IMAP client for OSX?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Best email program for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2011, 10:35 am »
Regardless of OS I don't see why anyone would want to use anything but Gmail.....yes, it's really that good.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2011, 10:37 am »
Last time I looked it was limited to people who had some kind of special key, was web-only, and was trawled through by Google to deliver advertising to you. I assume the first has probably changed by now.

Regardless, that is nothing to do with the actual question...

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm »
Well, I'm giving Postbox a trial run. So far so good, it imported all the account settings from Thunderbird and is now downloading thousands of  message headers...  :thumb:

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:02 am »
Strangely Apple's Mail program is more than enough for me.. I like it better than the bloated MS Outlook on Windows.   

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:09 am »
The thing that bugs me about Mail is the way that it separates the inbox and sent folder from the rest of the folders in each account.

bside123

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:11 am »
I'm a bit tired of both Thunderbird and Apple Mail. Does anyone have a "must try" suggestion for an IMAP client for OSX?

Hi John,
Why are you tired of Thunderbird and Apple Mail. What are hoping that another mail program would provide that these don't? I've been using Apple Mail, and admit that it is sometimes buggy, but I'm used to it. Your inquiry got me wondering... and wondering if it's worth the effort explore a change.

bside123

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:13 am »
Looks like you answered my question while I was posting...

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:20 am »
The thing that bugs me about Mail is the way that it separates the inbox and sent folder from the rest of the folders in each account.

Could that just be an artifact of IMAP servers and how you have it configured?   For outlook, if I want to save a copy, it moves it to a local folder that is separate from the inbox and sent folder (almost positive this is a server side configuration for clients).    For Mail,  I have two sent folders, two deleted folders, with one appears to be the actual folder on the imap server and the other to be a local version.   I have also have a junk folder that only appears in Mail and online, but not on the iPhone, I'm guessing that one is server side only, and perhaps I probably could collapse the two sent and two deleted folders if I worked at it.

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2011, 01:17 am »
My favorite has always been Mozilla\Seamonkey but then you have to sit at the social outcasts table.  I dunno, it's always worked for me.

shokunin

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2011, 01:22 am »
If you like Postbox, it's currently included  (along with 11 other apps) in the $49 Mac Update Winter Promo bundle

https://www.mupromo.com/

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2011, 02:40 am »
Could that just be an artifact of IMAP servers and how you have it configured?

Even without imap Mail puts the inbox in a different place than the mailboxes... worse, if you delete an account (by accident or on purpose) it deletes the Inbox and you losse everything in it.

I too am at the outcast's table... i still use Eudora and i won't switch until i find a program that save mail in plain text format & attachments as separate files.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2011, 01:22 pm »
Could that just be an artifact of IMAP servers and how you have it configured?

I don't think so, as Thunderbird doesn't do anything weird like that... I prefer the Thunderbird way of just showing all folders as a hierarchy with each account. However I'm getting used to the Postbox way of just showing the folders for the currently selected account.

Why are you tired of Thunderbird and Apple Mail. What are hoping that another mail program would provide that these don't? I've been using Apple Mail, and admit that it is sometimes buggy, but I'm used to it. Your inquiry got me wondering... and wondering if it's worth the effort explore a change.

As noted above, I've never been able to get Mail to work sensibly with multiple accounts. And I have 12 of them... (I can probably get rid of some...)

Thunderbird is unreliable... it wasn't always, I don't think, but it is now, it just hangs sometimes. Also, I seem to constantly get into a state where TB is running but there is no window open and I can't figure out how to get it back.

Also, I like having some kind of threaded view, which TB doesn't seem to be able to do.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2011, 01:27 pm »
i still use Eudora and i won't switch until i find a program that save mail in plain text format & attachments as separate files.

Hm... why? I sort of get it as I don't like apps that put e.g. photos in a central location instead of the file system but I've never felt any need to have my email system do that. It's all on the IMAP server anyway...?

Mike Nomad

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:34 pm »
I don't know how you feel about the Opera web browser, but, they have an email piece that can be added:

http://www.opera.com/mail/

The price is certainly right...

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2011, 06:41 pm »
Hm... why? I sort of get it as I don't like apps that put e.g. photos in a central location instead of the file system but I've never felt any need to have my email system do that. It's all on the IMAP server anyway...?

No IMAP accounts.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 7 Dec 2011, 06:49 pm »
!!

I can't imagine doing without it any more.

Original post did say "IMAP client" ;)

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:26 am »
I don't know how you feel about the Opera web browser, but, they have an email piece that can be added:

http://www.opera.com/mail/

The price is certainly right...

Thanks Mike (and Nathan) - I used Communicator many years ago but don't want email and web in the same client.

However there seems to be some cool things happening with Opera, I'll take a look when I have time..

abernardi

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:02 am »
i still use Eudora

WOW!  I didn't know they even made that for OSX!  I loved Eudora in the 80's! :).  I was using Entourage because I was able to sync it with my blackberry.  Now I have an android and it doesn't like Entourage, so I went to Address Book and Mail.  I have a GoDaddy email and they charge too much for IMAP, so postbox is out.  I don't want to upload everything to Google and sync from there because I can't get the fields to cooperate between google and address book.  Mainly I only have a few email accounts, I leave them on GoDaddy until I run out of space and then they go into mail, more as an archive.  And I sync the contacts locally with Syncmate.

GoodOmens

« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2012, 02:42 am »
I'm actually really happy with Mail :)