New hi-fi iPod site + Apple Lossless = digital heaven?

Pancho Urbano

hey, check out this new site:

http://ipodstudio.com/

Its new to me, anyway.  Are things coming together to create mass interest in audio quality?  As a long time Mac user, iTunes and the iPod have been of great interest and enjoyment, but I'm not a big fan of compressed files for critical listening.

The new Apple Lossless codec is attractive because of its low file size.  How do they do this?  Anyway, I wonder if there is some hope in downloading and ripping digital music for the audiophile-esqe listener.
-pu

Tuckers

Oh great, another proprietary lossless codec
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2004, 09:06 pm »
There are a number of lossless codecs on the market.  Apple is not very forthcoming on this new format, I can only find one line about it on it's site.  They say it's files are "at about half the original file size".

Most lossless codecs out there are about half the original file size.

My favorite is Flac, which is open-source and multiplatform, and unproprietary.  Plus it isn't hamstrung by copyright protection.  It's the core of the system we are developing for computer-based audio.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

There's something to be said about a file format that is not owned by any one company.  It allows the development of true open standards and lot's of creativity.

Tuckers

Oh great, another proprietary lossless codec
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2004, 09:08 pm »
There are a number of lossless codecs on the market.  Apple is not very forthcoming on this new format, I can only find one line about it on it's site.  They say it's files are "at about half the original file size".

Most lossless codecs out there are about half the original file size.

My favorite is Flac, which is open-source and multiplatform, and unproprietary.  Plus it isn't hamstrung by copyright protection.  It's the core of the system we are developing for computer-based audio.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

There's something to be said about a file format that is not owned by any one company.  It allows the development of true open standards and lot's of creativity.

Ferdi

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2004, 11:24 pm »
HI, I have also seen this new functionality and have updated my iPod to the new functionality but have not played with it yet. Will write an update when I have.

Ferdi

8thnerve

New software and new lossles format...
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2004, 03:04 pm »
I spent yesterday downloading the new iPod software and iTunes software.  I then took my reference discs and re-ripped them using the new Apple Lossless format.  The songs appear to be about half the raw file size as claimed.  The bit rate is variable depending on the track, this must be determined by the "complexity" of the track and I have seen bitrates from 600 to 1200 from the tracks I encoded.  The sampling rate is 44.1K of course.  I wondered initially if this was a DBX type encoding, but that usually has a variable bit rate in semi-real time.  Not that the Apple format doesn't, but it does not specify if the listed bit-rate is an average or not.

The results are very promising.  Leagues better than AAC or MP3 at any bit-rate.  Compared to the raw WAV file, the only differences I noted was a very imperceptible tapping sound from time to time in the left channel as dynamics changed rapidly.  I am not positive if this is codec related, iPod related, or even the new software.  Or if I am imagining it, but I am fairly sure that is not the case.

That being said, I can listen to the iPod in this format almost as readily as from the CD through a Naim CD5 w/FC2, and that is saying a lot!  Enjoyable, textured, dynamic, and resolved with good pace and good soundstage.  Those are two areas that could be improved, pace and soundstage, but hey, it's coming from a $300 handheld audio system compared to a purpose built CD player with seperate power supply retailing for over ten times the cost of the iPod.  And honestly it sounds better than many of the "audiophile approved" CD Players I've had.

Thanks for clueing me in to the update!!!

System used:

iPod 15GB 3G -> Griffin mini-plug to female RCA cable -> Chord Cobra RCA to DIN cable ->  Naim NAC 112 ->  Naim DIN cable -> Naim Flatcap 2 -> Naim DIN cable -> Naim NAP 200 -> Naim NACA5 Speaker cable -> Von Schweikert VR-2

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2004, 04:40 pm »
Nathan,

Just downloaded the updates, but I left my iPod and docking station at work.  DOH!

So I will rip a few cd's today and give a listen tomorrow.

Are you able to have multiple versions of the same song at the same time (i.e. song "x" in the new lossless format as well mp3)?

George

Bemopti123

How do you deal with CDs that have Antirip coding built in?
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2004, 01:13 am »
I have asked the same question else, but it is unbelievable that there is NO IPOD owners or other MP3 player owners that have NOT encountered antirip coded CDs.  If this is the case, how do people deal with these CDs?  Many CDs from Japan and now from Korea seem to be using this sort of technology.