What's the status of Lion for SQ?

low.pfile

What's the status of Lion for SQ?
« on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:53 am »
There were some murmurs about Lion (Mac OS 10.7) not being as good as Snow Leopard in the sound quality arena. But now with iCloud requiring Lion and some other SW requiring Lion, I may have to make the leap from 10.6.

What should I know?

thanks, ed

Crimson

Re: What's the status of Lion for SQ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm »
FWIW, I haven't upgraded to Lion on my music machine. Still running Snow Leopard because it just works well with my music programs (PM and Amarra). WRT iCloud, I'm not so sure you need Lion. I started my iTunes Match account on this same machine, and it works like a charm. It matched what it could and pushed everything else to the cloud. I know iOS5 is required for iCloud.

EDIT: You're right. You do need Lion for iCloud. I thought that since iTunes Match works on Snow Leopard, it wasn't a requirement for iCloud.

dmccombs

Re: What's the status of Lion for SQ?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:29 pm »
Low,

Lion can sound good if you strip all the junk out.  If you aren't going to go to this trouble, than Snow Leopard will sound better, IMO.

Since you are talking about running other programs (you mentioned some programs require Lion - I can't think of any Music apps that require Lion), it doesn't sound like this going to be a dedicated music server.  Can you clarify if you are going to optimize this for music (dedicated as a music server only)?

Darrell
Mach2 Music