James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
3D TV - NAY or YAY
« on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just want to ask and get some input.

How do you feel about the new 3D TV's and software available.  Think it is a fad or the future????

james

Alpha10

Re: 3D TV - NAY or YAY
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:06 pm »
FAD - my kids like it at the cinema, not for home.

Cheers

Andre2

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:14 pm »
I did a nice room for my son (15) and for my daughter (17) in my house this last July. Anyhow, my son insisted that I bought for him a 3D HDTV, so I forked about US$ 1.4k on a 40-inch new Samsung model 3D this summer from fry's electronics. 

Since then, he watched half a 3D movie, and he (or one of his friends) broke one of the 3D glasses by stepping on it.  So I could have spent about 500 less in a nice 2D-HDTV  :duh: So, don't think that 3D TV for the home will catch on.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:17 pm »

Meh...

D.D.

af

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:16 pm »
NAY.....total waste of money and proves, you can sell anything to anyone with enough marketing...or with enough B.S? 

af

SHV

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:22 pm »
Bought a Sony 55" and Oppo 93 for the bedroom 6 month ago, have used 3D maybe three times.

Steve

donny619

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:24 pm »
Nay, some movies it made sense (ie... Avatar, and that's about it). Most movies, it's annoying. Why would you want to watch a movie like say Up in the Air in 3D? I could justify putting on glasses in the theater. At home, I'd probably be more annoyed with them and totally useless during parties. Who has enough glasses for 10 people?

BrysTony

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:26 pm »
NAY -- 3D is a definite fad that has come and gone several times since the 1950s.  The demand for it has been created by marketing but I believe it will be short-lived.

Tony

brucek

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:28 pm »
I don't think many are interested in having 3D in their home systems. It's a bust that will pass.

To me, I'm far more interested in the television's integration with the internet. Each year with new models, this appears to get better and better.

brucek

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:45 pm »
I think most people are interested in 3D in the home otherwise the 3D TVs wouldn't be selling as well as it is even with the premium.  The execution is more about squeezing profit out of a product category though.  The technology is too new for it to be enjoyable for most if not all users.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:04 pm »
I will be going through that decision process for my secondary basement system probably in 2-4 months.  March will be 4 years since I got the projector for the basement system.  I did not go real high end (720p Sony LCD) as I mainly used the system for daytime sporting events on weekends.  My main system has a good 1080p projector that is 5+ years old and the main room is too bright (no matter what I would do as it opens into too many spaces with too many windows including a big one with a rounded top over the front door in the foyer which adjoins the main room) for daytime TV.  I'm fine with what I have in the basement for football on Sundays and stuff like that but I'm thinking if I get 3D for the basement I'll just do it for the one system.  I have a main system, secondary bedroom system (with a 1080p 55 inch LED), a secondary basement system (doing 8.1) and even a 4.1 computer system in the office.  Much will depend on pricing.  Right now it seams to be a big premiun for 3D.  I could do a nice 1080p projector for under $1,500 and for what I'd want in 3D (and be able to use in the room set-up) would be about double.  So if I'm just going to get a handful of movies, I may not want to do it.  So I'll think about it and probably see what software is available.  I do use the main system more for 2-channel music than anything else and it would give me an excuse to use the basement system a bit more.  I may decide just to defer the decision for a year and see what happens.

youravhandyman

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:12 pm »
I agree with Phil in that the amount of 3D programming is lacking which is causing me and a good number of my clients to pass for now.  And this is about to happen again with 4K TV.  4K TV is yet another doubling of resolution.  Looks like another cool technology with no content.  Kind of a parallel to Hi-Res music, eh?

skunark

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:14 pm »
My first 3D experience was the last Harry Potter film, I really hated watching the movie as I was upset on how poorly executed it was.   It's nothing like the stereoscopic photo's I've seen in the past where it's truly 3D.  If other movies are that bad, then I don't see myself becoming a 3D movie fan.  I also don't want to wear glasses at home. 

I would focus on the 2D performance if I was going to buy a TV today.   Once 3D technology matures and surpasses the stereoscopic photos then sure, count me in.     

I don't believe it's a fad, but probably still several years away from being usable.   I would guess it parallels to digital vs analog audio with die hard LP fans are just now considering hi-rez audio.

mclsound

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:31 pm »
Avatar was cool and have seen Thor(first in 2D-loved it,then in 3D-hated it) same with Captain America.I am done with 3D !!
so NAY

Love IMAX though!

SoundGame

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:02 pm »
I've had my Panasonic VT25 58" for about 4 months now and have not even opened up the free set of 3D glasses.  I think there is a market for 3D; however, I expect it's not the same as the "videophile" consumer. 

The best thing about 3D is that it required the manufacturers to improve on their 2D technologies to get decent 3D performance.  So at present, the best consumer TV's out there are also all 3D sets. 

3D does supposedly really enhance the gaming experience.  I'm not a gaming fan but can see how 3D might be attractive for that use.

All this said, if I was going to focus on where video is going - I would keep an good eye out on 4K, which interestingly enough can be supported via the Blu-ray format.  4K is what I see as being the hi-res of video.  But, it needs to be true 4K, as there is a lot of false advertising / marketing already happening in this space.

niels

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:18 pm »
I say no, its more hype than anything else.
Besides, I am wary about going to the cinema now, a lot of the movies they show are in 3D, and since I only have one eye I guess I will have to watch a blurred movie then, or am I wrong?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:23 pm »
no way...don't like the glasses :nono: headaches because of the illusion are not nice either!

al.

milford3

« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:25 pm »
3D is not new.  Anyone remember the late 50's.  It's all marketing sweetheart.  Sell-Sell-Sell!

SoundGame

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:28 pm »
I say no, its more hype than anything else.
Besides, I am wary about going to the cinema now, a lot of the movies they show are in 3D, and since I only have one eye I guess I will have to watch a blurred movie then, or am I wrong?

You'll still will see it relatively clearly but you'll only be presented with one camera view - half the resolution, as I understand it.  No benefit of 3D with only one eye but that leads to an interesting thought, given that when I injured an eye, I had only one eye to use for a number of months: 
Technically, to see things in 3D, in the real sense, you need two eyes to perceive depth; however, in everyday life, if you close one eye you lose depth perception but over time can regain it - but all the while things still look 3D.  In other words, in real life when you close one eye, everything doesn't turn 2D, you still perceive them to be 3D, though technically, the image hitting your retina is 2D and since you only have one eye then 2D is all you should perceive.  Interesting how complex our brains are - it makes up for the difference - and allows you to keep seing the world in 3D with one eye - this though doesn't work for 3D TV.

mv038856

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:50 pm »
I love 3D... if it is well done!

Combined with my D-Box system, the JVC D-ILA projection on the 90" screen, Bryston amplification for the Dynaudio speakers and a deep sonic foundation by a pair of Velodyne woofers... it is nothing short of spectacular!

Avatar or Tron Legacy are examples of how big the potenial of 3D is in regard of enhancing the experience.

Has 3D come to stay? I don't know as I am not the average customer... ;-)

Cheers

Markus