Bugle/ Sound from only 1 side :(

kenscott30

Bugle/ Sound from only 1 side :(
« on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:23 pm »
Dear List,

I built a Bugle based on amazing reviews about 4 years ago......and it sat in a box....Until Yesterday!!!!!!!  And I only get audio from 1 side :duh:

I am not really an electrical guy even thought I managed to build an Alien DAC and a Charlize amp and 1/2 a Bugle.

The 9v batteries are new, and I even swapped them to check.  All connections 'look' good.

My question is this, how to I trace the signal path to see where I messed up?

I think that I use a volt meter (set to what??) and 'check' but I really have no idea how to and where to start.

Thank you Thank you in advance for such a newbie question.

Oh, and the 1 speaker sounds really nice btw!!

poty

Re: Bugle/ Sound from only 1 side :(
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2011, 11:08 am »
I think, it's better to ask somebody to help with it. Very raw impression you could get yourself though. Be very carefull! There is no dangerous voltages, but you may burn something if you touch 2 or more leads.
Get a stiff bare wire (could be also a thin screwdriver) and touch the following points (one at a time!). You should hear a loud hum from corresponding channel. If you don't hear the hum - the circuit between the last humming point and the current point is not working.
1. the center pins of J1 and J3. If you don't hear the hum - the problem is in the output interconnects (maybe in output jacks - for example if you managed to short-circuit the center pin and the shield).
2. pins 3 and 5 of U3.
3. pins 3 and 5 of U2.
4. pins 3 and 5 of U1.
5. the center pins of J2 and J4.

hagtech

Re: Bugle/ Sound from only 1 side :(
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2011, 03:56 am »
And sometimes it is as simple as an opamp pin getting bent over trying to plug it into a socket...

jh