Any input from McCormack DNA-750 Monoblock owners ....

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
These seem like a great deal and I'd like to hear from current and former owners or anyone who has heard them. Thanks!

Joe

Big Red Machine

Re: Any input from McCormack DNA-750 Monoblock owners ....
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:05 pm »
I considered these during my amp changes before deciding on the Samsons to have the system synergy with the Dude.

They are even lower in price than when I looked at them early this year.  I did extensive research and talked with 2 owners who said they thought they were very good as compared to the DNA 500. 

Here is an email I received from Jack at Spearit Sound about these amps:

"Hi Pete,

This was a cj design, but it uses Steve’s distributed node architecture that I always thought was the hallmark of the Steve’s amps.  The cj design is using higher quality parts than was used in the DNA500, more on par with what Steve is doing for the upgrades on his old amps.

The sound quality is stunning, but a little different than the DNA-500.  I’ve always thought the McCormack amps to be incredible values, but I always found them a little bright and forward for my own tastes with just a touch of grain on the top end.  I don’t know if you’ve ever heard a cj 2250 or 2500, but the DNA750 kind of splits the difference sonically.  The cj’s were incredibly musical but laid back and slightly soft on top. The DNA750, extends the top end over the cjs but without the slight edge I heard from the DNA500.  The presentation on the DNA750s is incredibly wide and has a soundstage depth that I associate more with tubes.  I hear it as being as fast and dynamic as the DNA500, but with a more relaxed character. Like, the DNA500, it is a bottom pit of power, I have never come close to its limits.

It’s hard to put a review in 50 words or less, but I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jack Tozzi
Internet Sales and Marketing
--
Spearit Sound
351 Pleasant St.
Northampton, MA 01060
phone 413-584-9547, toll free 877-853-7425, fax 413-585-5139
http://www.SpearitSound.com"

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:27 pm »
Hi Pete,

Thank you for this info. They do seem like an incredible value and I would like to hear them with a Conrad Johnson preamp.

Joe

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2012, 07:45 am »
I hope the estimations of sonic quality are correct; I'm highly likely having a pair shipped to me this week.  I guess my Vandersteen 5Bs* will finally have enough power.

* there no such a thing except at my house.  See http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95227.0