BDA-1 Sample Rate

donny619

BDA-1 Sample Rate
« on: 30 Nov 2011, 04:44 am »
I finally got around to downloading the sample files found here: http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/format.htm. Am I doing something wrong if the BDA-1 locks a file with SampleRate/SampleSize of 192/24 with "48K0", up-sample light green. Files downloaded with 176/24 are locked in at "44K1", up-sample light orange.

I never really paid attention before since all CDs I have ripped are 44/16 or 44/24. I've used both my computer with COAX output and a Squeezebox with COAX output.

Thanks.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BDA-1 Sample Rate
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:46 am »
hi, Donny!

the BDA-1 ALWAYS shows you what is coming 'in'. in your case the downloaded material is actually 48k or 44.1 and not 192 or even 176.4 as you mentioned. so maybe something went wrong during the download?? the upsampling lights are correct as they show 'green' with 32, 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4k. it turns into 'orange' if 48, 96 or 192k material is detected. please note that if the signal is already 176.4 and/or 192 the upsampling function of the BDA-1 becomes inactive. signals with 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96k can be upsampled if you hit the BDA-1's upsampling button.
any input of the BDA-1 can handle signals up to 192/24 except the USB input which is 48/16.

al.

donny619

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:23 pm »
Thanks for the response Al. The files downloaded are definitely 192 and 176.4. I was hoping you didn't write what you wrote because it means I'll have to tinker with how it's 'coming in'. Looks like it'll be one of those fun 'configuration' nights... =)

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:08 pm »
What Al wrote is definitely the case.  I have an HDMI audio de-embedder in use with the BDA-1 as well as a Squeezebox Touch and it locks on a hi-rez signal

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:56 pm »
The light turns amber on 44.1K, 88.2K, sps will be upsampled to 176.4K.
With 32K, 48K or 96K the light turns green, sps will be upsampled to 192K.

donny619

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm »
Phil,
A few questions.

1) How do you have your HDMI Audio de-embedder set up?
2) Which de-embedder are you using?
3) Also, you mentioned you had a SB Touch. Thinking creatively, have you ever tried to use the USB output to something like this to get passed the 96/24 limit?
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0210/m2tech_hiface_usb.htm

Thanks in advance.

What Al wrote is definitely the case.  I have an HDMI audio de-embedder in use with the BDA-1 as well as a Squeezebox Touch and it locks on a hi-rez signal

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:29 am »
Phil,
A few questions.

1) How do you have your HDMI Audio de-embedder set up?
2) Which de-embedder are you using?
3) Also, you mentioned you had a SB Touch. Thinking creatively, have you ever tried to use the USB output to something like this to get passed the 96/24 limit?
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0210/m2tech_hiface_usb.htm

Thanks in advance.

I have a modded Oppo BDP-83 in the main system but (for SACDs) prefer the HDMI out of the BDP-83 going into the Port-ta/Monoprice de-embedder (and I'm using an upgraded power supply - anything that will work for the Touch will work with this de-embedder) which then has the coax digital output into the BDA-1 DAC.  In the basement system, I have the same de-embedder with an old Oppo DV980H and the coax out of the de-embedder going into an Emotiva DAC (overkill since I rarely use the basement system but it does sound good).  I'm getting 24/88.2 from the Oppo players.  I do have an Integra DPS 6.9 (DVD universal) which will do 176.4k but I dragged it over to John Gatski's place of everythingaudio.net to have it tested on his ATI ADAC2 ADC and it truncates the word length to 16 bits.

I have the Touch for a while and you can actually play 192kHz files at 96kHz.  I have an upgraded power supply for it too and am waiting to do a power supply shoot out (hopefully soon).  I have 3 power supplies and the loser will go to the HDMI audio de-embedder in the basement (I'm actually usually the stock Touch power supply on it since it is better than what came with the de-embedder).  Never tried any of those devices.  Have a new PC just over a month and it will take me a bit to get organized, get my digital music to it and get more hi-rez stuff and then it is my intent to look at something perhaps better to read files over my network like the BDP-1 or the Salk player.  I don't have any of the PCs near to where the main system is.  I prefer to stream.  When I get stuff digitized and have more hi-rez files then I guess it will be time to look at other options

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:43 am »
•   In the BDA-1, the sample rate is increased from the input sample frequency (48K, or 96K up-samples to 192K.

•   The 44.1K or 88.2K up-samples to 176.4K).

The 16 bits of depth (the CD standard) is increased to 24 bits. 

OPTIONAL UP-SAMPLING FEATURE
A very unique feature of the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC is the ability to disengage the up-sampling feature. You can compare an up-sampled signal with a non-up-sampled signal simply by engaging a switch on the front panel. This feature is functional when using sample rates of 44.1K, 88.2K, 48K, and 96K.

The BDA-1 tells you what is ‘COMING IN’ not what is going ‘out’.

The Digital Lock light will turn ‘green’ if the digital signal is locked.

The incoming sample rate will be indicated by that LED going green – so if the incoming digital signal is 96K the 96K LED will light green.

If you push the UPSAMPLE button on the front panel then the incoming digital signal will be ‘SYNCHRONOUSLY UPSAMPLED’ and turn Green or Amber depending on the incoming sample rate. (Green if the incoming is 48 or 96K and Amber if 44.1 or 88.2K)

•If the sample rate coming in is 44K or 88.1K the BDA-1 up-samples to 176K

•If the sample rate coming in is 48K, or 96K the BDA-1 up-samples to 192K.

The up-sample feature works on all inputs (including the I2S USB input) assuming the Up-sample button is push.

If the incoming signal is 'native' 176K or 192K then no up-sampling occurs.

Hope this helps explain it better?

donny619

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:09 am »
Yes thanks. Funny thing is I've read that so many times but it just never applied to me prior to trying a file > 48Khz. lol

SoundGame

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:15 am »
With 32-bit/384kHz mastering now on the scene and incorporated into the latest DACs of some manufacturers, are there any plans for upgrading the BDA-1  (BDA-2) anytime soon...say within 1 year to handle such rates?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2012, 07:40 am »
OPTIONAL UP-SAMPLING FEATURE
A very unique feature of the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC is the ability to disengage the up-sampling feature. You can compare an up-sampled signal with a non-up-sampled signal simply by engaging a switch on the front panel. This feature is functional when using sample rates of 44.1K, 88.2K, 48K, and 96K.

Uhm... This may have been unique once, but that was like 18 generations of DAC's ago...
The BDA still sounds excellent, but the features are kinda on the outdated side by now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:02 pm »
With 32-bit/384kHz mastering now on the scene and incorporated into the latest DACs of some manufacturers, are there any plans for upgrading the BDA-1  (BDA-2) anytime soon...say within 1 year to handle such rates?

Hi SoundGame

We have looked at a few of the new DACs and from a marketing perspective it probably makes sense to go that way. From a strictly digital performance perspective the performance is really not changed much. As I have said in the past the circuits and power supply and ground planes etc. around the chosen DAC far outweighs the specific DAC used.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm »
Hi SoundGame

We have looked at a few of the new DACs and from a marketing perspective it probably makes sense to go that way. From a strictly digital performance perspective the performance is really not changed much. As I have said in the past the circuits and power supply and ground planes etc. around the chosen DAC far outweighs the specific DAC used.

James

Thanks for the response James.  I figured you would be looking at it - I guess in 2012 the BDA-1 will be hitting 4 years so a technology update would be timely - though I'm sure your engineering team will pull some new magic out of that hat to raise the performance - both measureable and subjective.  Plus - I'm sure the USB sampling rate will come up as well.