Q: FryKleaning a phono cartridge?

eweitzman

« on: 30 Apr 2004, 05:25 am »
I've been wondering about the following setup for FryKleaning a phono cartridge:

FryKleaner -> iRIAA -> attenuator -> cartridge

Would there be any benefits to burning in or demagnetizing a cartridge this way?

- Eric

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2004, 05:57 am »
Eric,

I've been dying to try this out.  Theoretically it is perfect.  I just haven't had the time or guts to give it a shot.  And I don't think you need an attenuator, the iRIAA does it for you.

Think of it this way - a dc generator is also a motor.  The cart should work in both directions, as a generator, or as a motor.  Driving you cart with a signal is like cutting a disk.  Make your own vinyl.  

The idea is that the iRIAA provides the proper equalization and attenuation necessary to drive the cart with the correct signal.  You should be able to see the cantilever move back and forth about the same distance it does during actual playback.  Not much, really.  You don't want to overdrive, or damage could result.

So yes, in theory this should provide both break-in and demagnitization.  One of these days someone will confirm it.

jh :)

eweitzman

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2004, 03:32 am »
I was thinking that an attenuator might be necessary if the -40db or -60db setting on the iRIAA wasn't enough. Is there any way to verify that the output voltage going to the cart is safe enough without a well calibrated scope? I wouldn't want to literally "Fry" my cartridge.

- Eric

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2004, 07:25 am »
I don't know what that "safe" level is.  My guess would be that a cart could handle the same signal levels that it puts out.

jh :)

shasta

Kart Kleening (not), phono wiring (yes)
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2004, 01:57 am »
I wouldn't try this with a gun to my head; at least w/ my cart.  The FryKleaner is a break-in device.

What I am just wrapping up is -- the FryKleaning of the phono wiring stage; starting at the cart leads, through the tonearm wiring and the phono cable.  You'll have to (or should) remove the cart, or at least disconnect the cart leads from the cart; though that might be a little tight.

Small size test leads using a phono cable as an interface to the Kleaner and connect to the phono leads.  The device I used to connect to the cart leads was those push-pins for bulletin boards.  Not the tighest fit, but enough friction so that they don't easily fall out.  Then clip the test leads to the exposed part of the push-pin.  Connect the tonearm cable to the return jack(s).  I only have one set of phono jacks, so I use a Dayton Y-adaptor.  Let 'er rip.

I gave it 4 days, and haven't listened yet.  But I've done IC's at only 48 hours and been pleased.

Aside: I've done 75 ohm cable for FM antenna and TV antenna.  Due IMO to the massive amount of plastic insulation around the center conductor, 48 hrs. did little, if anything.  Another 48 hrs. produced noticeable results, and for the better (on the FM).  I'll experiment with even longer times.